2018 National Football League Division 4

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, October 14, 2017, 11:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

High Fielder

Quote from: Tony on November 10, 2017, 01:32:19 PM
While I'm disappointed with the decision, I'm not disappointed with Donie himself as he's given a lot to Laois and has put up with a lot, too, with poor setups etc. It's just a pity that this year it looks like we will have our best setup since McNulty, but our best player wont be playing. We can perhaps handle not having Donie for the League campaign as we might still have enough for promotion. But we'll badly need him for championship if we've any hopes of a leinster semi final, so I hope he does come back in the new year at some point. Having Paul Kingston there is a bonus. Let's just hope the setup is as good as we're hoping it will be, and that somehow our top performers will opt in. Having said all that, you can't be disappointed with the players themselves if they decide not to commit. It really is like a full-time job to be an inter county player these days and players have lives, families and jobs too. In my opinion, the commitment the inter county players give across the country without any payment is unsustainable, especially for counties like us that don't see much success. That's a matter for another day though.

Spot on. Great post. This goes a lot deeper than Donie Kingston. Offaly are without Graham Guilfoyle for the year because of a new job. A big loss for them. Choices have to be made in counties like Laois and Offaly. Job/Family/Commuting/personal financial situation etc v representing your county. I'm  surprised at times at the number who actually bother. The GAA are in cuckoo land if they think this will be a good model for future wellbeing.

clonadmad

Quote from: Don Draper on November 10, 2017, 11:32:13 AM
Quote from: clonadmad on November 10, 2017, 11:30:47 AM
New Season
New Management
New Start

Not yet December and our talisman forward wont commit,so much for all the talk of walking out of Division 4 and giving Kildare a game in Leinster in 2018.
I think we'll beat Kildare by a point a man come the Leinster semi final.

I'll have some of what that man is having,Nurse

Nameless

Massive loss but if he's not in now he shouldn't be allowed in later. We all know it takes a massive effort and huge commitment at this level so you can't just come in after the league and hope to be in the right condition. It's just not possible anymore. We can't complain if lads want to do other things or take a break, it's worse if they join up and are not 100% committed.
I'm hoping Sugrue will actually be strict on this. We've had lads dropping in and out for the past few years and they're just not prepared. Also if lads join up and they're caught drinking every weekend or not putting it in then they should be kicked off the panel. It doesn't matter what their names are.
We've let an awful attitude develop within the squad and it's why we are where we are. As I said, we can't complain about lads deciding it's not for them this year but we can complain if we're spending a lot of money following them and they're unfit and way off the pace because of personal choices.

The Monument Road

Its a pity he cannot/wont commit. I have my suspicions on whats really going on but thats his own business and his own decision. Ill still be heading up to Carrick, Ruislip Netwatch Cullen park and where ever else we have to go to watch players who really want to play for laois and who dont whinge or throw dodies from their prams.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

ILikeStrawberryJam

I dont think its such a bad thing donie leaving .. hes carried the team for years .. he prob just not enjoying it anymore
He needs a break .. let sugrue develop a young team without the temptation of having to get it to donie every single time. I dont care if ythe older crew dont commit .. time for a new start .. were rock bottom now so weve nothing to lose .. donie will hopefully come back next year .. refreshed into an improving setup .. its gonna be a long journey back

The future of small counties being competitive anymore .. hard to know where to even start .. id lkke to bite the bullet and see a two tier competition come in asap ..

Keyser Söze

Quote from: ILikeStrawberryJam on November 12, 2017, 07:32:50 PM
I dont think its such a bad thing donie leaving .. ............................... let sugrue develop a young team without the temptation of having to get it to donie every single time.

I think there is something in this. I would be thinking along the same lines. Our better performances and results over the last 4 or 5 years have generally come against middle of the road teams when Donie has been on fire. In Division 4 simply "Kicking it in to Donie" will work 80% of the time. It won't work against Kildare (if we get there).

In a perverse way, this might force our hand into STICKING with a more rounded game plan if things are not going perfectly from game to game in the league. And this is the way to go in the long term.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Don Draper

Quote from: The Monument Road on November 10, 2017, 04:53:48 PM
Its a pity he cannot/wont commit. I have my suspicions on whats really going on but thats his own business and his own decision.
It's almost like you're transfer ing your emotions onto this forum.

SCFC

Quote from: Don Draper on November 12, 2017, 08:37:38 PM
Quote from: The Monument Road on November 10, 2017, 04:53:48 PM
Its a pity he cannot/wont commit. I have my suspicions on whats really going on but thats his own business and his own decision.
It's almost like you're transfer ing your emotions onto this forum.
Old Laughlin "basketball"....

BallyroanAbu

While it is hearalded that we have the return of the old guard  (all great players for Laois in their prime).  This is a waste of time,  I know I will be hammered but unfortunately if Laois are to go forward these players will have to be dispensed with.  I will add they will never retire themselves and it will be ugly and that will never take from their legacy or commitment.  But for Laois it is time to move on

Would not think Donie is Old Guard Yet

SCFC

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on November 12, 2017, 10:31:20 PM
While it is hearalded that we have the return of the old guard  (all great players for Laois in their prime).  This is a waste of time,  I know I will be hammered but unfortunately if Laois are to go forward these players will have to be dispensed with.  I will add they will never retire themselves and it will be ugly and that will never take from their legacy or commitment.  But for Laois it is time to move on

Would not think Donie is Old Guard Yet
You can't throw a bunch of new chaps out there without a few experience heads to help them.
I'd be loath to get rid of the 30 to 32 age group like Quigley, Begley, Strong, Donoher, Meaney, Conway, Timmons.
It would leave too many gaps in an already thin squad.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Great to see the proud Laois players who have committed again this year, especially Ross. He is a credit to himself, his family and his club as are all the others who have given so much to the county.

https://www.laoistoday.ie/2017/11/14/munnelly-commits-16th-season-laois-footballers/
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

BallyroanAbu

Hopefully I will be proved wrong but going with older players is not serving us well.  This same argument was thrashed out last year.  I am not questioning their commitment or legacy.  Just going forward what is there to gain from it a couple of wins early in the league before finding out that the legs are not what they were once the ground Firms up.

O moore parklife

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on November 14, 2017, 06:46:38 PM
Hopefully I will be proved wrong but going with older players is not serving us well.  This same argument was thrashed out last year.  I am not questioning their commitment or IM.  Just going forward what is there to gain from it a couple of wins early in the league before finding out that the legs are not what they were once the ground Firms up.
These lads are stepping up and given another year of serious commitment they are needed to bring on the younger player's. Name the lads to replace them there isn't exactly an abundance of talent out there but whatever there is im sure sugrue and his team have seen them with the 70 or so player's looked at over the trials the past month.
Lets actually get behind the team and management and not try racking up passive i told you so points

BallyroanAbu

Look I hope I am wrong,  I like Sugrue as I feel it's a step in the right direction,  I just fail to see how we can improve in any major way, wIth pretty much the same personnel.  What ever the ability,  I think physiologically we are scarred beyond repair.   Maybe I want too much too fast.