2018 National Football League Division 4

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, October 14, 2017, 11:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Draper

First sign of a proper trainer with a decent bit of commitment required, and the liferafts are pushed out. Sad to see.

Best of luck to those who commit.

Laoisguy

Can't believe that Donie would go down this route when whats required is our top players standing up ,shoulder to the wheel ,showing the potential new kids top commitment

Bad start and bit of a let down

BallyroanAbu

These same players that people are criticising have been messed about for 5 years, every manager that has come has been a false dawn.  Sugrue is probably moving a bit quick, at the moment playing for Laois is not what everyone dreams of doing.  I am sure a few good results and maybe a little less tough talk and fellas will come back on board.  I was very much in favour of going with a younger team because a lot of the older boys are carrying scars of previous regimes ineptitude.  If I was the current management I would not issue any ultimatums and see if we can get them back on board at a later date.

Don Draper

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on November 10, 2017, 11:12:51 AM
These same players that people are criticising have been messed about for 5 years, every manager that has come has been a false dawn.  Sugrue is probably moving a bit quick, at the moment playing for Laois is not what everyone dreams of doing.  I am sure a few good results and maybe a little less tough talk and fellas will come back on board.  I was very much in favour of going with a younger team because a lot of the older boys are carrying scars of previous regimes ineptitude.  If I was the current management I would not issue any ultimatums and see if we can get them back on board at a later date.
Less tough talk? What tough talk has he made?

clonadmad

New Season
New Management
New Start

Not yet December and our talisman forward wont commit,so much for all the talk of walking out of Division 4 and giving Kildare a game in Leinster in 2018.

Don Draper

Quote from: clonadmad on November 10, 2017, 11:30:47 AM
New Season
New Management
New Start

Not yet December and our talisman forward wont commit,so much for all the talk of walking out of Division 4 and giving Kildare a game in Leinster in 2018.
I think we'll beat Kildare by a point a man come the Leinster semi final.

High Fielder

Not just in Laois, but in every county like us, this has to be expected. It's gone beyond the point of being an amateur sport that lads play in their spare time. Even at club level. The demands are too great and this is the price that counties like us can expect to pay. It's not worth it. It's not enjoyable any more and I can't expect lads to slavishly commit to a cause like ours year after year. Donie owes us nothing. Maybe he will enjoy the basketball a little bit more and good luck to him

Don Draper

Quote from: High Fielder on November 10, 2017, 12:09:35 PM
Not just in Laois, but in every county like us, this has to be expected. It's gone beyond the point of being an amateur sport that lads play in their spare time. Even at club level. The demands are too great and this is the price that counties like us can expect to pay. It's not worth it. It's not enjoyable any more and I can't expect lads to slavishly commit to a cause like ours year after year. Donie owes us nothing. Maybe he will enjoy the basketball a little bit more and good luck to him
Sorry, but no. Not on this occasion. After 5 years of incredible shite, a proper coach and manager are in place. His career has been a story of gigantic unfulfilled talent. Donie owes us nothing. He owes his talent quite a lot.

seafoid

It might be too late for some of them. Galway hurlers had a long period of mediocrity and managers who promised much without delivering. In 2011 a new management team was appointed. They took a hatchet to the stars and picked 22 under 21s out of a panel of 37. 6 years later Galway  won the all Ireland.  The psychological damage done by years of mediocrity shouldn't be underestimated.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

High Fielder

Quote from: Don Draper on November 10, 2017, 12:13:26 PM
Quote from: High Fielder on November 10, 2017, 12:09:35 PM
Sorry, but no. Not on this occasion. After 5 years of incredible shite, a proper coach and manager are in place. His career has been a story of gigantic unfulfilled talent. Donie owes us nothing. He owes his talent quite a lot.

And that's the point. He'll never realise his potential in Laois. There's nothing (relatively speaking) to play for. I think he'll be back but I don't blame him for taking a break from it. It's an opportunity for others to step up too. Some of them, maybe all of them, have been in his shadow for a long time

BallyroanAbu

Personally I am not sure we need to crack any eggs sometimes an Iron Fist in a Velvet Glove works better than taking a sledge hammer to things.  I would rather be talking to Donie and hopefully convincing him of a return.  I really don't get why Laois footballs internal problems need to be in both National & Local Media for every single issue. 

BallyroanAbu

Quote from: seafoid on November 10, 2017, 12:13:37 PM
It might be too late for some of them. Galway hurlers had a long period of mediocrity and managers who promised much without delivering. In 2011 a new management team was appointed. They took a hatchet to the stars and picked 22 under 21s out of a panel of 37. 6 years later Galway  won the all Ireland.  The psychological damage done by years of mediocrity shouldn't be underestimated.

Agree unfortunately we do not have Galways U21's

Tony

While I'm disappointed with the decision, I'm not disappointed with Donie himself as he's given a lot to Laois and has put up with a lot, too, with poor setups etc. It's just a pity that this year it looks like we will have our best setup since McNulty, but our best player wont be playing. We can perhaps handle not having Donie for the League campaign as we might still have enough for promotion. But we'll badly need him for championship if we've any hopes of a leinster semi final, so I hope he does come back in the new year at some point. Having Paul Kingston there is a bonus. Let's just hope the setup is as good as we're hoping it will be, and that somehow our top performers will opt in. Having said all that, you can't be disappointed with the players themselves if they decide not to commit. It really is like a full-time job to be an inter county player these days and players have lives, families and jobs too. In my opinion, the commitment the inter county players give across the country without any payment is unsustainable, especially for counties like us that don't see much success. That's a matter for another day though.

O moore parklife

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on November 10, 2017, 01:12:54 PM
Personally I am not sure we need to crack any eggs sometimes an Iron Fist in a Velvet Glove works better than taking a sledge hammer to things.  I would rather be talking to Donie and hopefully convincing him of a return.  I really don't get why Laois footballs internal problems need to be in both National & Local Media for every single issue.

Reading the independent article john surgrue said the door was open. Lets fact check as this is how mob mentality grabs at false or badly constructed comments

Don Draper

I have no doubt he'll be back. My concern will be, in what condition.

Anyway, we move on.