2018 National Football League Division 4

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, October 14, 2017, 11:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

O moore parklife

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on November 14, 2017, 10:31:40 PM
Look I hope I am wrong,  I like Sugrue as I feel it's a step in the right direction,  I just fail to see how we can improve in any major way, wIth pretty much the same personnel.  What ever the ability,  I think physiologically we are scarred beyond repair.   Maybe I want too much too fast.
Scarred beyond repair christ on a bike.
Every county go through a dark patch we are in  ours lets be positive and get through it. You must be great craic to have a  cup of tea with. Cheer up eoin Kearns a club man of yours is in there very positive fella.

BallyroanAbu

Only my point of view,  there will be a million others who differ.   If we were all right all of the time the world would be a very boring place.  You seem very bullish on the set up, you either have a good line inside or are involved.  I wish you all in there the very best of luck.

O moore parklife

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on November 15, 2017, 10:58:05 AM
Only my point of view,  there will be a million others who differ.   If we were all right all of the time the world would be a very boring place.  You seem very bullish on the set up, you either have a good line inside or are involved.  I wish you all in there the very best of luck.
Im bullish as its a constant wave of negativity from the same old few on this forum and its tedious at this stage.
Im far from involved in the set up any info i have is common knowledge. The set up looks good no one is suffering from PTSD as your dramatic portrayal tries to paint.
Smile it doesn't hurt

High Fielder

Both viewpoints make sense but just let it pan out lads. I'm grateful to those who want to go in and give it a go. It's not an attractive proposition by any means, but an opportunity exists at such a low level to win something. f**k it I'd take anything at this stage.....

Tony

I respect your opinion Ballyroan but to leave the likes of Timmons, Quigley, Conway, O Loughlin and all out would be ridiculous. We're not Kerry with an amazing underage coming up. That's not to say that we should only have the older players. Of course we should blood more younger talent if we can. That's just the common sense of it. It would be the worst decision to just leave those experienced players out when they're ready to commit and give their all hopefully. Not sure why it's up for debate really.

BallyroanAbu

Our target this year is to get promotion out of Div 4, and have a promising run in the Leinster/Qualifiers.  Kerrys is to win an All Ireland,  I see where a lot of you are coming from and logically you make sense in the short term.  However I think we are in Sunderland mode that if we continue with the same personnel we will get the same results.  I just think Div 4 is a great place to be brave.

Give and Go

The internet is the curse of the modern age!
And I'm as guilty as anyone before I start!
Everyone has an opinion these days and it must be heard regardless of how offensive it is.

Martin O Neill and the the Irish Team are getting it in the neck now after losing heavily last night. Laois footballers have been subject to it constantly on social media since 2003.....that was the sixth title since the start of the GAA!!

We need to stop this constant barrage of criticism of players, coaches, officials and either support them or stay away and keep mouths shut and keyboards quiet!

It ain't right the way society has gone - all this 'opinion' is very hurtful and damaging to those involved. Paying an admission fee into a game doesn't bestow this entitlement to abuse and insult the voluntary efforts of Gaels in all our clubs and counties.

Best wishes to the team and management in 2018.

Tony

There's brave and there's stupid.

Brave would be to debutise plenty of new blood mixed in with more experienced crew over the coming few years and gredually phase out the old guard.

Stupid would be to omit your top performers and most experienced who are willing to give it their all for the year.

Sorry but i still don't get your idea at all. If we let go of the likes of Timmons, Quigley, Donagher, Healy, John O' Loughlin, etc just because they're slightly over their top peak, we'll be planted in division 4 for years to come. I don't get this all or nothing idea. Clearly the smart thing to do is to blood new talent and retain the experienced players until they A: they retire or B: are not offering as much as the younger players. Unfortunately for us, nearly all of the younger players have a lot more developing to do.

Tony

Imagine John O' Loughlin, one of Laois' best servants over the last 10+ years sent a text to John Sugrue "Looking forward to having a good go in 2018, glad you're the manager."

John Sugrue : "Sorry John, we're actually just playing with younger players this year."

I'd get your point Ballyroan if people were saying bring back Padraig Clancy at age 38 or whatever he is. But these lads around 29 to 31 have plenty of good years left in them. If we're looking at a 3 to 5 year plan, the likes of JOL, Healy etc have a a large part to play in that. Ideally the younger lads will make an impression in that time too. one does not exclude the other.

Butch Cassidy

Regardless of age it's up to John Sugrue and his management team to try get the best players in Laois to play and come up with a system to get the best out of them.

Using Ross as an example I saw a good lot of the club championship and he was one of the best forwards in the county. It's up to the younger lads in the county to step up, put pressure on the 'older lads' and give Surgue a welcome headache.

Has an u20 manager been sorted?

BallyroanAbu

Tony your naming the players I was specifically general in this statement and every theory is open to examination you could be right on some players and wrong on others. 

Give & Go i don't think anyone was insulted

Tony

Fair enough Ballyroan.

Give and Go, not sure what you're posing about there. 99% of posts here are in good spirits and we're just talking about the sport we love. A couple of lads overstep the mark very occasionally. otherwise, the forum is very well meaning.

Give and Go

I suppose I am also referring to our habit of second guessing managers and players; engaging in constant speculation about decisions and motivations - more often than not done without factual basis. Here we are on about players he will or will not be including when in fact we have no idea what the management are thinking because they haven't made a public statement! Sometimes we are better to say nowt and stop adding to the swirl of rumour and innuendo that wafts around every county set up in the country!

BallyroanAbu

Thats fair enough Give & Go, but I don't think we would have a forum if we did not have opinions. 

Giovanni

I would agree that no player should be discriminated against on the basis of his birth cert and I would be amazed if that turned out to be the case.

On the other hand, I really hope that the new management starts from the position that reputations are entirely irrelevant and if a young lad looks like he's doing better than the lad with the reputation, he's given his chance. Our best players last year included Alan Farrell and Eoin Buggie, neither of whom would have been given much credit when they came into the setup. Young lads like Evan O Carroll and Tom Shiel came into the squad under McNulty and did very well. Stephen Attride, who has become a very nice footballer, wasn't one of the big names when he came into the setup. I really hope that the best players are chosen regardless of their profile or reputation.