Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam

The Highway men looks like it'll be decent, March 29th
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Main Street

The Baader Meinhof Complex, an  excellent historical  film with some superbly recreated historical scenes. If the RUC had exacted a similar ferocious response as the german police did, to uppity nordies in the late 60s, I'd wonder how that civil rights revolt would have fared.  For a bunch of 'loose' mavericks, the RAF managed to create havoc and garner a lot of support among the youth in the ยด70s Germany. Not in a million years would you have anything resembling those  court scenes  in the UK or Ireland.

MoChara

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 11, 2019, 12:03:08 AM
Quote from: J70 on March 10, 2019, 12:44:47 PM
Free Solo.

It win best documentary film at this year's Oscars.

Even if you don't find rock climbing particularly interesting.

My knuckles were white watching it, even though I knew Honnold successfully completed the climb.

On a similar El Capitan note (albeit this time with ropes to arrest any falls!), The Dawn Wall is a great watch for the unbelievable dedication of Tommy Caldwell (spent almost a decade working out the route) and the perseverance of his partner to finally complete it with him.
Just back from watching it in the cinema. Absolutely class. The scale of that wall is unbelievable when it pans out near the end. A lot of it was very funny too.

Watched it as well great show, I think his bird thought she was more important to him than he did, the "I appreciate you" bit had me in stitches to be fair.

lurganblue

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 19, 2019, 07:40:12 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on March 19, 2019, 04:12:16 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on March 19, 2019, 04:06:51 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on March 19, 2019, 03:52:48 PM
Triple Frontier, 90 minutes of my life I'll never get back, absolutely brutal film, one of the worst I've ever seen

Was expecting much better myself.

Hard to argue with this.
I thought it was alright but I seem to have watched it with lower expectations than you lads. It's a Ben Affleck flick on Netflix so how good did you think it would be?!

I gave this a go anyway last night. Horrific. First half hour was grand, then I just wished it would end as quickly as possible. Keek

trailer

Unquiet graves.
Go and see it if you can. Should be out on Amazon and I believe RTE have agreed to show it. Details the deliberate targeting of innocent Catholics and collusion of British government in the murder triangle in NI. Over 120 innocent people murdered for being catholic under the direction of the RUC UDR and British government.

Milltown Row2

Anyone heading to the cinema tonight? I've been roped into the Marvel film at 12 tonight !
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 24, 2019, 10:08:56 PM
Anyone heading to the cinema tonight? I've been roped into the Marvel film at 12 tonight !
You're keen! It's about 3 hours long. 2 sons going to see it tomorrow with mates. They'd better not ruin it for me!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 24, 2019, 10:12:55 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 24, 2019, 10:08:56 PM
You're keen! It's about 3 hours long. 2 sons going to see it tomorrow with mates. They'd better not ruin it for me!

Not that keen but wife away to Venice and I'm home alone with my kids! Work in the morning also! Should be interesting
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Capt Pat

I'm going tomorrow. At three hours long it is a bit late to be going to the midnight shows.

LooseCannon

Quote from: NAG1 on March 19, 2019, 04:12:16 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on March 19, 2019, 04:06:51 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on March 19, 2019, 03:52:48 PM
Triple Frontier, 90 minutes of my life I'll never get back, absolutely brutal film, one of the worst I've ever seen

Was expecting much better myself.

Hard to argue with this.
It's a pity that I didn't read this.

gallsman

It's absolutely incredible, if long and annoying at times.

Very clever, very well written, very funny.

Frank_The_Tank

Thought Endgame was excellent - really well done.  Majority of the cinema clapping at the end at the showing I went too
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience

lurganblue

Quote from: Frank_The_Tank on April 26, 2019, 10:01:31 AM
Thought Endgame was excellent - really well done.  Majority of the cinema clapping at the end at the showing I went too

I have never seen this happen in any cinema, for any film. I assumed it was only done after the red carpet first showing in London or wherever.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: lurganblue on April 26, 2019, 10:08:07 AM

I have never seen this happen in any cinema, for any film. I assumed it was only done after the red carpet first showing in London or wherever.

Clapping! First and only time was in the States, Time Square cinema, the film? Last Action hero! f**k some Americans are dumb

Frank_The_Tank

Quote from: lurganblue on April 26, 2019, 10:08:07 AM

Same - I guess because it one of the first screenings would be a lot of hardcore fans there - whilst not clapping myself I did really enjoy the film - reading a few spoiler threads on train to work this morning and reading a lot of people in theaters in America and elsewhere talking about the whole cinema clapping at a few different points in the film
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience