More Dissident-Republican Activity

Started by sammymaguire, November 19, 2009, 06:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smelmoth

Quote from: marty34 on April 25, 2019, 06:08:03 PM

I wouldn't forgive SF for going back into Stormont again unless the DUP agree to an ILA and other equality issues.

So your settled political will is that NI should be ruled by a Secretary of State appointed by whatever result is thrown up by a uk wide general election in perpetuity rather than the people of NI unless and until there is an ILA.  Given the importance you are giving to the ILA would you mind stipulating what should and should not be in it?

smelmoth

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 25, 2019, 06:11:25 PM
The DUP would prefer the dictatorship of direct rule rather than have a fenian about the place.

SF seem to be facilitating them though- with K Bradley as the inept dictator

smelmoth

Quote from: balladmaker on April 25, 2019, 06:18:20 PM
Personally, I don't care if Stormont never makes a comeback.  Given the DUP's antics, Brexit, RHI, Liofa, Redsky, LGBT, Irish Language act etc etc they're not fit for nor worthy of sharing power.  Let's have the big conversation around a new Ireland and the border poll should follow.

3 big questions though-

1) what if people in NI want to stay in UK? In these likely circumstances you have to make power sharing work
2) what if the people of RoI rejected a UI? In these circumstances you have to make power sharing work
3) what if the people of NI don't vote by in a majority of both communities to tear up GFA? In this circumstance the governments of UK and RoI (and it must be both) are not going to revoke the internationally enforceable GFA and then you are going to have to make power sharing work

Complain all you like about Stormont but its here to stay. If the people inside the building aren't delivering get different people

smelmoth

Quote from: Walter Cronc on April 25, 2019, 09:18:04 PM
Quote from: balladmaker on April 25, 2019, 06:18:20 PM
Personally, I don't care if Stormont never makes a comeback.  Given the DUP's antics, Brexit, RHI, Liofa, Redsky, LGBT, Irish Language act etc etc they're not fit for nor worthy of sharing power.  Let's have the big conversation around a new Ireland and the border poll should follow.

One thing Brexit should teach us is getting the ducks in a row prior to any unity polls. Is this even taking place? Has anything been learnt from Germany etc? Whilst I admire Mary Lou and Pearse Doherty, the same cannot be said for northern SF reps. Beyond useless!

And what preparation has Mary Lou and Pearse made or are they disinterested in a UI?

smelmoth

Quote from: marty34 on April 25, 2019, 11:16:13 PM
Quote from: Jim Bob on April 25, 2019, 10:31:54 PM
Quote from: marty34 on April 25, 2019, 09:42:06 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 25, 2019, 09:38:59 PM
Quote from: marty34 on April 25, 2019, 09:04:58 PM
Quote from: trailer on April 25, 2019, 08:10:38 PM
It's all well and good saying scrap Stormont and bollocks to the DUP, but power sharing is the only show in town. If you want a health service fit for purpose, if you want children taught in well resourced schools or indeed if you want GAA coached in the schools you need a functioning Stormont. Services that the most in need require have been cut. If you're working and healthy, you're pretty much insulated but that's not true of everyone. My own parent who is very poor health has had their care cut due to this, it puts huge pressures on us as s family, with children who all work. it will no doubt result in their life being cut short.

So excuse me when I say f**k the DUP, f**k Sinn Fein and f**k the people who vote for them.

Nice guy - did you lose out to SF in a re-count election or something?

Christ. Hardly an appropriate comment to someone talking about how politics affects their daily life.

We are all suffering - depends where you want to put the blame.

My statement was addressing his last point.

To which you responded with a silly question about recounts!!!! He has no time for the current political parties. He is entitled to express that !!!!

Or the people who vote for them?

He is entitled to question the people who vote for idiotic parties

Jim Bob

Quote from: marty34 on April 25, 2019, 11:16:13 PM
Quote from: Jim Bob on April 25, 2019, 10:31:54 PM
Quote from: marty34 on April 25, 2019, 09:42:06 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 25, 2019, 09:38:59 PM
Quote from: marty34 on April 25, 2019, 09:04:58 PM
It's all well and good saying scrap Stormont and bollocks to the DUP, but power sharing is the only show in town. If you want a health service fit for purpose, if you want children taught in well resourced schools or indeed if you want GAA coached in the schools you need a functioning Stormont. Services that the most in need require have been cut. If you're working and healthy, you're pretty much insulated but that's not true of everyone. My own parent who is very poor health has had their care cut due to this, it puts huge pressures on us as s family, with children who all work. it will no doubt result in their life being cut short.

So excuse me when I say f**k the DUP, f**k Sinn Fein and f**k the people who vote for them.

Nice guy - did you lose out to SF in a re-count election or something?

Christ. Hardly an appropriate comment to someone talking about how politics affects their daily life.

We are all suffering - depends where you want to put the blame.

My statement was addressing his last point.

To which you responded with a silly question about recounts!!!! He has no time for the current political parties. He is entitled to express that !!!!

Or the people who vote for them?

'Did you lose out to Sinn Fein in a recount election or something'  was just a stupid purile question.

Applesisapples

Sorry but Stormont will never fix education and health, the decisions that need too be made to rationalise and save money would be extremely unpopular with regard to Daisy Hill, Down, Causeway Hospital and possibly the Erne. School closures are also extremely unpopular but necessary as duplication and segregation is a burden.

BennyCake

This return to Stormont- if it happened - won't suddenly stop the squabbling, bickering and disagreement between parties. Just because they're sitting in the debating chamber (or whatever you call it), doesn't mean they're agreeing on a way forward or getting anything done. They'll be as petty and childish as they are now, but doing it under a roof rather than under an umbrella.

Have people forgotten what they were like when Stormont was going? I don't see much difference.

smelmoth

Quote from: Applesisapples on April 26, 2019, 08:55:46 AM

Sorry but Stormont will never fix education and health, the decisions that need too be made to rationalise and save money would be extremely unpopular with regard to Daisy Hill, Down, Causeway Hospital and possibly the Erne. School closures are also extremely unpopular but necessary as duplication and segregation is a burden.

Did you get a link to that the SF compromise?

smelmoth

Quote from: BennyCake on April 26, 2019, 10:03:26 AM
This return to Stormont- if it happened - won't suddenly stop the squabbling, bickering and disagreement between parties. Just because they're sitting in the debating chamber (or whatever you call it), doesn't mean they're agreeing on a way forward or getting anything done. They'll be as petty and childish as they are now, but doing it under a roof rather than under an umbrella.

Have people forgotten what they were like when Stormont was going? I don't see much difference.

The squabbling would "suddenly stop" if we elected a different set of politicians.

As for the broader issues of course problems don't "suddenly stop " but with SF and DUP they don't ever stop.

By any objective criteria the case for voting for SF or DUP is NIL

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: smelmoth on April 26, 2019, 07:21:15 AM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on April 25, 2019, 05:11:30 PM
Sinn Fein and the DUP love the antagonism, it's what keeps them in power and they'll both continue to deliver a disasterclass in politics whilst people are foolish enough to fall for it. Meanwhile they'll pick up the cash....they've got it on lockdown as the kids say.

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!

+1
Have supported SF over recent years but they have done nothing even at local council. After another rise in rates this year I've had enough. The vote for the rate increase the DUP and UUP voted yes. Would you believe the only party who voted for a freeze on rates was the TUV. As the SF councilor I voted for she didn't even attend. Gonna give it a miss
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

smelmoth

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on April 26, 2019, 10:18:17 AM
Quote from: smelmoth on April 26, 2019, 07:21:15 AM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on April 25, 2019, 05:11:30 PM
Sinn Fein and the DUP love the antagonism, it's what keeps them in power and they'll both continue to deliver a disasterclass in politics whilst people are foolish enough to fall for it. Meanwhile they'll pick up the cash....they've got it on lockdown as the kids say.

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!

+1
Have supported SF over recent years but they have done nothing even at local council. After another rise in rates this year I've had enough. The vote for the rate increase the DUP and UUP voted yes. Would you believe the only party who voted for a freeze on rates was the TUV. As the SF councilor I voted for she didn't even attend. Gonna give it a miss

Or vote for someone else!!!!!

So SF abstain at Westminster, run away from Stormont and fail to turn up at local council. Vote for someone else

Applesisapples

Quote from: smelmoth on April 26, 2019, 10:09:07 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on April 26, 2019, 08:55:46 AM

Did you get a link to that the SF compromise?
What are you on about? I think perhaps you might not be aSF supporter.😂

smelmoth

Quote from: smelmoth on April 26, 2019, 07:18:33 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on April 25, 2019, 04:57:25 PM
I see from the posts on here that many on the board are bought into the equal blame on both SF and the DUP. But lets remember that SF had a compromise agreement, which parked the issues some of you now want dropped completely. They rightly were taken top task by the Pro Choice/Irish Language/LGBT groups. Even at that the hard line DUP base couldn't wear it. If SF now go back to this deal that didn't secure rights as promised they would be slaughtered at the polls and their opponents would including the SDLP would make hay. Bottom line is and I will repeat it the DUP and UUP do not get equality or parity of esteem. Fr Magill's well intentioned remarks perpetuate the myth of parity of blame.

Post a link to the SF compromise agreement to to see what they were compromising on and on what terms. And what they weren't compromising on.

Could be a high moral ground and electoral dividend for those prepared to compromise now though probably best to wait a few weeks and pretend that it was their idea rather than a reaction to recent events and the public mood

This is what I'm on about

Applesisapples

Quote from: smelmoth on April 26, 2019, 11:41:06 AM
Quote from: smelmoth on April 26, 2019, 07:18:33 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on April 25, 2019, 04:57:25 PM
I see from the posts on here that many on the board are bought into the equal blame on both SF and the DUP. But lets remember that SF had a compromise agreement, which parked the issues some of you now want dropped completely. They rightly were taken top task by the Pro Choice/Irish Language/LGBT groups. Even at that the hard line DUP base couldn't wear it. If SF now go back to this deal that didn't secure rights as promised they would be slaughtered at the polls and their opponents would including the SDLP would make hay. Bottom line is and I will repeat it the DUP and UUP do not get equality or parity of esteem. Fr Magill's well intentioned remarks perpetuate the myth of parity of blame.

Post a link to the SF compromise agreement to to see what they were compromising on and on what terms. And what they weren't compromising on.

Could be a high moral ground and electoral dividend for those prepared to compromise now though probably best to wait a few weeks and pretend that it was their idea rather than a reaction to recent events and the public mood

This is what I'm on about
Widely reported by Eamon Malley and Brian Rowan, watered down ILA and abortion and LGBT rights left to future arrangements.