More Dissident-Republican Activity

Started by sammymaguire, November 19, 2009, 06:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoChara

Quote from Arlene

QuoteMrs Foster summed up the DUP view on Good Morning Ulster.

"It's not a balanced discussion if Sinn Féin get everything they want and my community is left with nothing, it can't be a five-nil situation," she said.

Really shows the us and them attitude of the woman, she's totally intransigent to the notion that a benefit or help to one community isn't always to te detriment of the other.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Applesisapples on April 25, 2019, 04:57:25 PM
I see from the posts on here that many on the board are bought into the equal blame on both SF and the DUP. But lets remember that SF had a compromise agreement, which parked the issues some of you now want dropped completely. They rightly were taken top task by the Pro Choice/Irish Language/LGBT groups. Even at that the hard line DUP base couldn't wear it. If SF now go back to this deal that didn't secure rights as promised they would be slaughtered at the polls and their opponents would including the SDLP would make hay. Bottom line is and I will repeat it the DUP and UUP do not get equality or parity of esteem. Fr Magill's well intentioned remarks perpetuate the myth of parity of blame.

Hard to see a scenario where the SDLP are ever likely to make a comeback tbh. They need at the very least the emergance of a political superstar to stand a chance....here, not likely.

Sinn Fein and the DUP love the antagonism, it's what keeps them in power and they'll both continue to deliver a disasterclass in politics whilst people are foolish enough to fall for it. Meanwhile they'll pick up the cash....they've got it on lockdown as the kids say.

marty34

I see from the posts on here that many on the board are bought into the equal blame on both SF and the DUP. But lets remember that SF had a compromise agreement, which parked the issues some of you now want dropped completely. They rightly were taken top task by the Pro Choice/Irish Language/LGBT groups. Even at that the hard line DUP base couldn't wear it. If SF now go back to this deal that didn't secure rights as promised they would be slaughtered at the polls and their opponents would including the SDLP would make hay. Bottom line is and I will repeat it the DUP and UUP do not get equality or parity of esteem. Fr Magill's well intentioned remarks perpetuate the myth of parity of blame.

I agree. Popular to blame the two.

DUP couldn't (probably can't) treat nationalists with respect - curry my yoghurt etc. etc. They had their chance.

Deal was agree (what was in it is debateable) but DUP renaged on behalf of the OO and Stormont is now in cold storage.  I can't see it coming back unless the DUP "wear the sack clothes and ashes".

Add in RHI, Liofa and all the Brexit/Tory axis carry ons, then the party is over.

I wouldn't forgive SF for going back into Stormont again unless the DUP agree to an ILA and other equality issues.

Mc Guinness did all he could, he tried to make things work but bad faith by the DUP/UDA/OO axis scuppered the future of Stormont.

Eamonnca1

The DUP would prefer the dictatorship of direct rule rather than have a fenian about the place.

balladmaker

Personally, I don't care if Stormont never makes a comeback.  Given the DUP's antics, Brexit, RHI, Liofa, Redsky, LGBT, Irish Language act etc etc they're not fit for nor worthy of sharing power.  Let's have the big conversation around a new Ireland and the border poll should follow.

trailer

It's all well and good saying scrap Stormont and bollocks to the DUP, but power sharing is the only show in town. If you want a health service fit for purpose, if you want children taught in well resourced schools or indeed if you want GAA coached in the schools you need a functioning Stormont. Services that the most in need require have been cut. If you're working and healthy, you're pretty much insulated but that's not true of everyone. My own parent who is very poor health has had their care cut due to this, it puts huge pressures on us as s family, with children who all work. it will no doubt result in their life being cut short.

So excuse me when I say f**k the DUP, f**k Sinn Fein and f**k the people who vote for them.

marty34

Quote from: trailer on April 25, 2019, 08:10:38 PM
It's all well and good saying scrap Stormont and bollocks to the DUP, but power sharing is the only show in town. If you want a health service fit for purpose, if you want children taught in well resourced schools or indeed if you want GAA coached in the schools you need a functioning Stormont. Services that the most in need require have been cut. If you're working and healthy, you're pretty much insulated but that's not true of everyone. My own parent who is very poor health has had their care cut due to this, it puts huge pressures on us as s family, with children who all work. it will no doubt result in their life being cut short.

So excuse me when I say f**k the DUP, f**k Sinn Fein and f**k the people who vote for them.

Nice guy - did you lose out to SF in a re-count election or something?

Walter Cronc

Quote from: balladmaker on April 25, 2019, 06:18:20 PM
Personally, I don't care if Stormont never makes a comeback.  Given the DUP's antics, Brexit, RHI, Liofa, Redsky, LGBT, Irish Language act etc etc they're not fit for nor worthy of sharing power.  Let's have the big conversation around a new Ireland and the border poll should follow.

One thing Brexit should teach us is getting the ducks in a row prior to any unity polls. Is this even taking place? Has anything been learnt from Germany etc? Whilst I admire Mary Lou and Pearse Doherty, the same cannot be said for northern SF reps. Beyond useless!

Eamonnca1

Quote from: marty34 on April 25, 2019, 09:04:58 PM

Christ. Hardly an appropriate comment to someone talking about how politics affects their daily life.

marty34

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 25, 2019, 09:38:59 PM

Christ. Hardly an appropriate comment to someone talking about how politics affects their daily life.

We are all suffering - depends where you want to put the blame.

My statement was addressing his last point.

Jim Bob

Quote from: marty34 on April 25, 2019, 09:42:06 PM

To which you responded with a silly question about recounts!!!! He has no time for the current political parties. He is entitled to express that !!!!

red hander

Quote from: balladmaker on April 25, 2019, 06:18:20 PM

This

marty34

Quote from: Jim Bob on April 25, 2019, 10:31:54 PM
Quote from: marty34 on April 25, 2019, 09:42:06 PM

To which you responded with a silly question about recounts!!!! He has no time for the current political parties. He is entitled to express that !!!!

Or the people who vote for them?

smelmoth

Post a link to the SF compromise agreement to to see what they were compromising on and on what terms. And what they weren't compromising on.

Could be a high moral ground and electoral dividend for those prepared to compromise now though probably best to wait a few weeks and pretend that it was their idea rather than a reaction to recent events and the public mood

smelmoth

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on April 25, 2019, 05:11:30 PM
Sinn Fein and the DUP love the antagonism, it's what keeps them in power and they'll both continue to deliver a disasterclass in politics whilst people are foolish enough to fall for it. Meanwhile they'll pick up the cash....they've got it on lockdown as the kids say.

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!