Ooh Ah Up The Ra

Started by illdecide, October 14, 2022, 09:27:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armagh18

Orior

Quote from: general_lee on October 16, 2022, 08:14:03 AM
United Ireland is now OFF.
A dozen or so people singing Celtic Symphony in Dublin Airport caught on video now means that reunification can't happen (according to Twitter anyway).
Meanwhile in Banbridge, Loyalist bands serenaded their supporters while chants of UVF rang out through the October air. I wonder which incident will get the media airtime.

Hundreds of orange and black parades all over the six counties between April and September, and bonfires in July. Most decent protestants keep well away from such hate fests, whilst others think it's great culture.

Hundreds of national games in Ireland all summer and one incident lasting 5 or 10 seconds resulting in certain unionists throwing their hands up in despair and cry "See - this is what they're all like"

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Snapchap

Quote from: whitey on October 14, 2022, 05:38:40 PM
I think shouting and singing "Up the Ra" in todays environment is completely unacceptable.

Everyone on here was outraged (and rightly so) when those bandsmen were recorded singing about a poor girl who got murdered on her honeymoon.

Now that the shoe is on the other foot, it's only a bit o craic

A totally f**king stupid parallel to attempt to draw. Beyond words.

Snapchap

Quote from: nrico2006 on October 14, 2022, 10:47:32 PM
I don't understand why a bunch of girls, when celebrating the biggest win if their lives, chose to sing that song. You could understand it if it was a bunch of teenage boys from the North, but a group of Southern women is a strange one. Pure cringe. Any team I've played in usually just went for 'Championees'.
Choose? They also played Taylor Swift ffs. Don't you think it was a random playlist? They hardly sat mentally deliberating over what songs to play in their state if euphoria

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

We could have won the war back in the 70s with the level of support the Ra gets these days lol

ONeill

There's something happening at the minute and it's interesting to watch. Not sure if it's a reaction to being told by a Sky reporter how the Irish should behave or an acceptance of our own history but there's something happening here.

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

red hander

Yep. Great to see. Check out new T-shirt supporting the girls available online from urban celt. Utter DUP, loyalist, west brit hypocrisy has sickened many.

Nanderson

Not a peep from any unionist politician bar Doug Beattie about the chanting in Banbridge. One rule for one and all that

Armagh18

Quote from: ONeill on October 16, 2022, 11:18:11 PM
There's something happening at the minute and it's interesting to watch. Not sure if it's a reaction to being told by a Sky reporter how the Irish should behave or an acceptance of our own history but there's something happening here.
We saw something similar a couple of years ago when Varadakar and Flanagan wanted to commemorate the black and tans.

grounded

Eire90

nolan talking about it now

Armagh18

Quote from: Eire90 on October 17, 2022, 09:11:30 AM
nolan talking about it now
You know you're doing something right when you're annoying that gobshite

johnnycool

I think so too and it's the Southern media's response to this.

A bunch of Armagh or Tyrone camogs or ladies footballers and they'd be fair game for this overreaction for your one from Portadown trying to get some of the girls sacked, but they're Dubs, they're from Cork, Donegal and wherever..

So far it's been slightly more nuanced, Mullaly in the Irish Times touches on it (although she's quick to distinguish the new IRA from the Old IRA  ;)  ) as it's the young, modern Irish are proud of their Irish heritage and manifests itself in Republicanism whereas the older generations were still forelock tuggers to the English betters.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/2022/10/13/una-mullally-what-does-it-mean-to-say-up-the-ra-and-why-does-it-keep-happening/

Or maybe it's a bit of what Mulally points to but also the youth of Ireland being much better informed as to what actually happened up here during the troubles now that RTE has lost it's absolute control of the messaging relating to here.

They're now hearing that the British Army did run amok in Derry and Ballymurphy killing people who are just like them, they now know that the British Army were directly involved in the Dublin and Monaghan bombings, they now know that the British Army and the RUC worked cheek to jowl with Loyalist paramilitaries killed people like Sean Brown and Aidan McAnespie just for their love of GAA, just like them.

The truth may have set the youth of Ireland free, may it set Ireland free.

bennydorano

Noticed the Newsletter headline this morning while getting my paper. Had a little laugh to myself thinking do they not realise people are taking the piss now - didn't read the story hut assume it was the singing of Celtic Symphony at the FAI semi yesterday and at Dublin Airport.

michaelg

Quote from: johnnycool on October 17, 2022, 09:25:06 AM

I think so too and it's the Southern media's response to this.

A bunch of Armagh or Tyrone camogs or ladies footballers and they'd be fair game for this overreaction for your one from Portadown trying to get some of the girls sacked, but they're Dubs, they're from Cork, Donegal and wherever..

So far it's been slightly more nuanced, Mullaly in the Irish Times touches on it (although she's quick to distinguish the new IRA from the Old IRA  ;)  ) as it's the young, modern Irish are proud of their Irish heritage and manifests itself in Republicanism whereas the older generations were still forelock tuggers to the English betters.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/2022/10/13/una-mullally-what-does-it-mean-to-say-up-the-ra-and-why-does-it-keep-happening/

Or maybe it's a bit of what Mulally points to but also the youth of Ireland being much better informed as to what actually happened up here during the troubles now that RTE has lost it's absolute control of the messaging relating to here.

They're now hearing that the British Army did run amok in Derry and Ballymurphy killing people who are just like them, they now know that the British Army were directly involved in the Dublin and Monaghan bombings, they now know that the British Army and the RUC worked cheek to jowl with Loyalist paramilitaries killed people like Sean Brown and Aidan McAnespie just for their love of GAA, just like them.

The truth may have set the youth of Ireland free, may it set Ireland free.
They must not have got the memo about Enniskillen, Shankill, Warrington, Bloody Friday etc