FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

michaelg

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 12, 2022, 06:28:15 PM
Quote from: michaelg on October 12, 2022, 04:47:40 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 12, 2022, 12:45:04 PM
Quote from: highorlow on October 12, 2022, 12:37:54 PM
That's the problem though. Why the fcuk would a team of footballers need to sign 'Oh ah up the Ra'?  It's bloody ridiculous. Banning phones is not the way to fix this, banning stupid f**king idiotic songs is how to fix it. Imagine if you had Linfield singing 'Billy Boys'?  The majority of that team where not even alive during the Troubles. People really need to f**king grow up

I'm both offended and confused now by your statement, i always thought that the "Ra" in the lyrics was the original IRA?

Don't be confused, whether its about the 'OLD' Ra or the new one, its doesn't matter to those that will turn these own goals into something they will use to say to 'their' crowd that the south are glorifying the Ra.. Now take the context away and its a bunch of Irish lady soccer players singing a popular Celtic song, and no one should get in a twist about it.

Allowing or giving the DUP any sort of ammunition just stokes up division and anyone who refuses to see that is an ostrich
On first view, I'm afraid I can't agree with you.  Pretty unpleasant way to celebrate a great success on the pitch.  As for stoking up division, it's the singing of the song itself that is doing that.

So you actually think these girls from the south of Ireland who have been born in a country that hasn't had the troubles, so have no history at all of the 'ra' new or old ra are singing a song to be sectarian? Personally I think they are singing a popular Celtic soccer song with no malice
So you can sing a sectarian Rangers song in Scotland (e.g. The Billy Boys) and not be sectarian?  Are you being serious? 

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: whitey on October 12, 2022, 05:29:14 PM
Things that were completely acceptable 10-20 years ago, are no longer acceptable.

Simple as

20 years ago, a group of girls wouldn't have sung chorus together like that.
At most, a few knuckleheads would have peppered the Fields of Athenry with the "hey baby let the free birds fly", "Sinn Fein", "IRA" add ons.
It's a sign of the times and probably inevitable that the passing of time will see the rehabilitation of the IRA as the memories of events recede.

Irish Twitter was interesting today. When the tables are turned it's usually full of people lecturing about how the British don't know their history. Now we have to give a free pass to girls who wouldn't have had a clue that way back in the mid 90s the IRA were still machine-gunning Gardai after making unannounced withdrawals from banks.

Also, it had to be clarified that the girls were paying tribute to the good IRA of counter culturalists, philosophers and thinkers, rather than the bad IRA of Slab Murphy, Michael McKevitt, Pearse McAuley etc.

It's a harsh lesson for them, but hopefully it acts as a warning to others to be a bit smarter, even in the heat of celebrations.

Captain Scarlet

They are fully grown adults who clearly are stupid as f**k.
WHY??? sing that song. Literally any other song could be sung.

A lot of them play for decent clubs and would be medua trained. They made a total bollix of a feelgood story.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

thewobbler

Twitter is a vile place (once again) today.

There is no soft angle here. There's no grounds to defend it. No need to "educate" others as to why this happened.

It's wrong.

Just apologise. Disassociate if you can. Then move on. Don't do it again.

Main Street

Quote from: Itchy on October 12, 2022, 10:54:30 PM
Think this sums it up

https://twitter.com/buff_egan/status/1580271357664772096?t=2aThdMj_iUDFeDaFeSsrBw&s=19
;D
Sums up my sentiments also.

It's a Celtic tribute song with a throw in chorus of 'up the Ra'.

I use to think when Celtic fans sung the CS at their games in the Strachan era, it was "Ooh Ah up Samaras". :)

FCk the  DUP and the cowards who think that they should be appeased, just so their bigoted false moral narrative thrives, that there was no state terrorism, no state collaboration with murder gangs , that all that was law and order in the war against terrorism.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: michaelg on October 12, 2022, 09:49:57 PM
That's the problem though. Why the fcuk would a team of footballers need to sign 'Oh ah up the Ra'?  It's bloody ridiculous. Banning phones is not the way to fix this, banning stupid f**king idiotic songs is how to fix it. Imagine if you had Linfield singing 'Billy Boys'?  The majority of that team where not even alive during the Troubles. People really need to f**king grow up

I'm both offended and confused now by your statement, i always thought that the "Ra" in the lyrics was the original IRA?

Don't be confused, whether its about the 'OLD' Ra or the new one, its doesn't matter to those that will turn these own goals into something they will use to say to 'their' crowd that the south are glorifying the Ra.. Now take the context away and its a bunch of Irish lady soccer players singing a popular Celtic song, and no one should get in a twist about it.

Allowing or giving the DUP any sort of ammunition just stokes up division and anyone who refuses to see that is an ostrich
On first view, I'm afraid I can't agree with you.  Pretty unpleasant way to celebrate a great success on the pitch.  As for stoking up division, it's the singing of the song itself that is doing that.

So you actually think these girls from the south of Ireland who have been born in a country that hasn't had the troubles, so have no history at all of the 'ra' new or old ra are singing a song to be sectarian? Personally I think they are singing a popular Celtic soccer song with no malice
So you can sing a sectarian Rangers song in Scotland (e.g. The Billy Boys) and not be sectarian?  Are you being serious?

What I've said is the girls have sang it without malice I've also said they are very stupid to have done it to. If you believe that they are 'republicans' or support the Ra then you are wrong. But the next time the Billy boys is sang at Ibrox make sure you are in here complaining about it
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

michaelg

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 13, 2022, 07:32:39 AM
Quote from: michaelg on October 12, 2022, 09:49:57 PM

What I've said is the girls have sang it without malice I've also said they are very stupid to have done it to. If you believe that they are 'republicans' or support the Ra then you are wrong. But the next time the Billy boys is sang at Ibrox make sure you are in here complaining about it
Just pointing out there are sometimes double standards when it comes to these things.  'Ach, sure it's just a bit of 'craici' and 'sure this is sung in pubs and clubs up and down the land' is a commonly held view on here.  Similarly, singing Rebel Songs in back of bus during Jackie Charlton's time was never called out and was just glossed over.  Can't imagine the same reaction if something similar had happened with the NI team.
You are always going to get incidents like this at Ibrox and Parkhead, so no I won't be on here complaining about it as you have requested.

imtommygunn

Malice, history etc you could go into but there was just no need for it. Why did they sing that song.

It is also laughable seeing foster and Lockhart in particular calling this out when they call out nothing including how heavily linked their party is with an active paramilitary group especially this week.

general_lee

Are the Liverpool fans going to get similar scrutiny?

seafoid

The media work the discovery model where new information is the most valuable. So on RTE.ie the caravan has moved on.
https://www.rte.ie/

It might be a few more days in the Northern news cycle
https://www.newsletter.co.uk/
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

johnnycool

Quote from: general_lee on October 13, 2022, 08:19:18 AM

"Against the famine and the Crown, I rebelled and they put me down"

What form of action do people think that "rebelled" took?

seafoid

Quote from: johnnycool on October 13, 2022, 09:17:37 AM
Quote from: general_lee on October 13, 2022, 08:19:18 AM

"Against the famine and the Crown, I rebelled and they put me down"

What form of action do people think that "rebelled" took?
I think it was mostly likes and emojis
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

An Watcher

Has anyone been in a football changing room?  Has anyone been in a football changing room after winning a trophy? Has anyone ever been in a changing room after qualifying for a world cup?
I've been in loads of the first, could count on one hand the second and none of the third.
This wasn't pre-planned or organised in any way.  It was one of hundreds of songs.  I don't see it as any big deal and the furore is ridiculous. 

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: An Watcher on October 13, 2022, 11:24:20 AM
Has anyone been in a football changing room?  Has anyone been in a football changing room after winning a trophy? Has anyone ever been in a changing room after qualifying for a world cup?
I've been in loads of the first, could count on one hand the second and none of the third.
This wasn't pre-planned or organised in any way.  It was one of hundreds of songs.  I don't see it as any big deal and the furore is ridiculous.

I've been in many dressing rooms where we have had huge success. Given where I'm from this may amaze people but I have never, ever sang any level of a rebel song, provo chant, Oh Ah etc etc. We have our own chant, which is to the tune of A Nation Once Again, but it's a football chant.  I have never heard rebel songs sung at any of our gatherings. People who would have been in our company would have had 'reason' to do so but never did. We Ah Rooo Chaaa Chaaed with the best of them but never felt the need to should our Irishness through out dates songs.

Perhaps we were just secure in who we were and let our sport do the talking?