Similar colours

Started by befair, August 28, 2018, 03:31:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

befair

Was at a Down championship tonight between Bryansford and Castlewellan. Both teams had similar colours; black shorts, green shirts, the only difference the Ford's gold hoop, mimicked by Castlewellan's sponsor in white on the front of the jersey. Don't know if it was difficult for the players in the heat of a game, but it showed no consideration for elderly or visually impaired spectators.
Is there a GAA policy on this? If not there should be

BennyCake

I remember a mcRory Cup final with both teams in almost identical blue kits. Maghera or Magherafelt involved. My head was sore watching it.

Wexford Galway camogs have played a couple AI finals too with the same problem.

lurganblue

surely the teams know that there is a clash and one of them have a 2nd available option. sounds like stubbornness

playwiththewind1st

In the good old days, a coin was tossed & 1 team had to turn the jerseys inside out, preferably before the ball was thrown in. Problem solved!

thewobbler

This happens all the time and it does my head in.

One of the many things that they've gotten right in American sport is that the away team wears a white kit, and the home team cannot play in white.

As a rule it would only affect maybe a hundred teams in Ireland, and would only take a few years for them to get over it.

Bring it in.

Owenmoresider

On the other side of that I don't understand the GAA's insistence that both teams change their kits when there are colour clashes, let them toss if it's a neutral venue game and make the away team change where there is a home team.

markl121

Quote from: BennyCake on August 28, 2018, 09:48:06 AM
I remember a mcRory Cup final with both teams in almost identical blue kits. Maghera or Magherafelt involved. My head was sore watching it.

Wexford Galway camogs have played a couple AI finals too with the same problem.
aye the 03 mcrory in casement. was a sunny day too and brutal to tell the diffference. st marys in light blue against st pats in a darker blue. Remember it well because we were up at the half and didnt score once in the second half, might have missed a penalty too.

dec

Quote from: Owenmoresider on August 28, 2018, 02:37:18 PM
On the other side of that I don't understand the GAA's insistence that both teams change their kits when there are colour clashes, let them toss if it's a neutral venue game and make the away team change where there is a home team.

The home team are more likely to have access to a change kit if the away team has traveled without a spare set.

Jayop

Quote from: dec on August 28, 2018, 03:02:04 PM

The home team are more likely to have access to a change kit if the away team has traveled without a spare set.

In Jr Soccer that's the rule. If the ref decides there's a clash the home team have to change.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: dec on August 28, 2018, 03:02:04 PM

Was alluding more to intercounty level where availability of kits really shouldn't be an issue, but yes that too if need be. Most kit clashes should be known by all involved beforehand though.

BennyCake

For a league game, away team changes.

For c'ship, both should change. It's an unfair advantage for one team to play in regular kit than the other team who might rarely use their second kit.

There's no excuse for a clash especially in higher profile games. I mean, if Westmeath were playing Galway, the kit colours should be known days before.

quidnunc

There's a readymade solution -

Team that loses the toss has to wear the O'Neill's pink jerseys for their county

Itchy

Dublin and cavan have played each other with both in blue in the past, although not in the most recent game. Thought it was crazy at the time.

sligoman2

If my memory serves me right the only reason we changed from white shirts to black shirts was because we played Kildare back in 2002??  Anyway we won the match and said to hell with the white shirts, despite some shtye from HQ.

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

general_lee

don't think there are too many colour clashes in Armagh, was always that the home team wear a change strip. Some clubs however point blank refuse to buy a reverse kit for whatever reason