Tyrone v Monaghan, Sun 20th May, Healy Park

Started by tyroneman, April 04, 2018, 06:45:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyroneman

Might as well get this started.....the 2 favourites play each other in the QF....will Monaghan build on their league success or will Tyrone bring a much better game to this one....

Bar the odd outlier Tyrone have usually had Monaghan's number in the championship this past 10-15 years. Any reason it will be different this time around?

Fuzzman

If it was in Clones maybe as they've beaten us there a few times lately but I just think Tyrone have quite a strong spine to them now and if we can keep Lee Brennan fit and on form we have tidied up our free taking nightmare AND got an exciting young forward to now compliment the rest of the hard working forward line.

Colm Cavanagh's fitness though will be important. I never liked 1st round games in Omagh but then again I didn't like them in Ballybofey or Clones either. Derry has been nice of late. ;-)

Amazing how Tipperary are now considered a top Div 2 and nearly Div 1 team and Derry are going to London next year in the league. I'd say Mugsy will try to stay (sorry GET) fit for that one.

Tyrone Dreamer

Quote from: Fuzzman on April 04, 2018, 10:24:55 AM
If it was in Clones maybe as they've beaten us there a few times lately but I just think Tyrone have quite a strong spine to them now and if we can keep Lee Brennan fit and on form we have tidied up our free taking nightmare AND got an exciting young forward to now compliment the rest of the hard working forward line.

Colm Cavanagh's fitness though will be important. I never liked 1st round games in Omagh but then again I didn't like them in Ballybofey or Clones either. Derry has been nice of late. ;-)

Amazing how Tipperary are now considered a top Div 2 and nearly Div 1 team and Derry are going to London next year in the league. I'd say Mugsy will try to stay (sorry GET) fit for that one.

I'm not sure we have sorted out the long range frees. Brennan hit about 7 or 8 longer ones in the last few matches and maybe scored 1 at most. Morgan struck the few he hit the last day better than Brennan did. But Brennan has definitely added to our scoring threat up front and can hopefully keep it up come championship.

Rossfan

Be great craic if the loser of this drew loser of the Galway/Mayowestros game :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Maroon Manc

Whats Monaghans record like in Omagh?

If Monaghan have a poor championship will O'Rourke be under pressure if Monaghan have a poor championship? Seems like Monaghan have added a lot more strength to their panel from the little I've seen of them.

Jinxy

Quote from: tyroneman on April 04, 2018, 06:45:17 AM
Might as well get this started.....the 2 favourites play each other in the QF....will Monaghan build on their league success or will Tyrone bring a much better game to this one....

Bar the odd outlier Tyrone have usually had Monaghan's number in the championship this past 10-15 years. Any reason it will be different this time around?

Sickening arrogance.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

never kickt a ball

Quote from: Maroon Manc on April 04, 2018, 11:15:58 AM
Whats Monaghans record like in Omagh?

If Monaghan have a poor championship will O'Rourke be under pressure if Monaghan have a poor championship? Seems like Monaghan have added a lot more strength to their panel from the little I've seen of them.

In a recent game in Omagh they shot the lights out

Unlaoised

Think Monaghan might just get the better of Tyrone in Omagh I think it will suit them better than Clones!
LAOIS ABÚ

RedHand88

Quote from: Unlaoised on April 04, 2018, 01:03:56 PM
Think Monaghan might just get the better of Tyrone in Omagh I think it will suit them better than Clones!

Why.

Unlaoised

Quote from: RedHand88 on April 04, 2018, 01:08:28 PM

Why.

Tighter pitch Monaghan have a great record away from clones in the ulster championship!
LAOIS ABÚ

omagh_gael

Quote from: Unlaoised on April 04, 2018, 01:11:58 PM

Why.

Tighter pitch Monaghan have a great record away from clones in the ulster championship!

Sorry but this is a major bug bear of mine. A quick internet search would tell you that Clones is 142m by 87m and Healy Park is 142m by 86m. Those 50cms on each wing aren't going to make much of a difference.

I'm going to call this as a two point win for Tyrone. Reasons are:

- Brennan has sorted out a lot of our free taking and is much more goal focused (something we appeared to be actively avoiding in the past!)
- Hampsey and Burns look to have created a strong partnership in defence. We haven't had a long term man for the #6 jersey in recent years and I think Burns has really laid down a marker in the second half of the league.
- Our two main 'tempo' men have really came into form for the latter part of the league. If Harte and Matty Donnelly are on form the whole team plays well.
- Potentially missing Colm is huge and in McManus and Beggan (from frees) Monaghan have got two serious scoring options.

Out of interest, how many rounds of club games are due to be played before the 20th May in Monaghan?

Unlaoised

Quote from: omagh_gael on April 04, 2018, 02:17:03 PM

Why.

Sorry but this is a major bug bear of mine. A quick internet search would tell you that Clones is 142m by 87m and Healy Park is 142m by 86m. Those 50cms on each wing aren't going to make much of a difference.

- Brennan has sorted out a lot of our free taking and is much more goal focused (something we appeared to be actively avoiding in the past!)
- Hampsey and Burns look to have created a strong partnership in defence. We haven't had a long term man for the #6 jersey in recent years and I think Burns has really laid down a marker in the second half of the league.
- Our two main 'tempo' men have really came into form for the latter part of the league. If Harte and Matty Donnelly are on form the whole team plays well.
- Potentially missing Colm is huge and in McManus and Beggan (from frees) Monaghan have got two serious scoring options.

Out of interest, how many rounds of club games are due to be played before the 20th May in Monaghan?

I have been told Clones is 145m by 88m the same as Croker....It looks much bigger than Healy park anyway.....

I think it has the potential to be a cracker and the winner will have one foot in the super 8s!
LAOIS ABÚ

omagh_gael

Quote from: Unlaoised on April 04, 2018, 02:39:56 PM
Quote from: omagh_gael on April 04, 2018, 02:17:03 PM

Why.

I have been told Clones is 145m by 88m the same as Croker....It looks much bigger than Healy park anyway.....

I think it has the potential to be a cracker and the winner will have one foot in the super 8s!

100% agree on your last point. The difference in winning and losing this game is huge. Winner goes into a semi v Fermanagh/Armagh where as the loser could potentially meet Galway/Mayo/Donegal/Cavan in round 1 of qualifiers. There'll be some intensity to it. Can't wait.

Unlaoised

How many does Healy park hold surely it will be a sell out and almost impossible to get a ticket for this one!

LAOIS ABÚ

skeog

Rossfan i suppose beating them powerhouses New York or Leitrim to reach last 12 is one of the reasons to get in to the modern world and abolish provincials.