Referee Ratings

Started by Solo_run, July 25, 2017, 12:19:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buttofthehill

Quote from: Syferus on July 26, 2017, 01:15:53 PM
Neilan was excellent in the league final, it's a pity so few know a good performance when they see it, it makes the purpose of this thread entirely pointless.

He did fine apart from failing to give Dean Rock a penalty, you have to get those big calls correct when the margins are so tight.

Milltown Row2

Not one official ref on here posting.. refereeing club underage tournaments or the odd game where the ref doesn't show doesn't count either...

You need to get 85% correct of 50 random questions to referee club championship games in Antrim plus a bleep test for the physical... it's much harder at county level.... I doubt very much that most posters on here would get 50 % of the questions right, let alone pass the physical...

Run around the pitch, immediately call a decision as you see it, not with the slow mo or angle the spectators see it, with huge pressure of being massacred by fellow Gaels and trying to be part of and entertaining game is a lot harder than you think... players management make a hell of a lot more mistakes than a ref!

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

theticklemister

I'm a ref miltown; I understand your pain.

punt kick

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 28, 2017, 04:20:24 AM
Not one official ref on here posting.. refereeing club underage tournaments or the odd game where the ref doesn't show doesn't count either...

You need to get 85% correct of 50 random questions to referee club championship games in Antrim plus a bleep test for the physical... it's much harder at county level.... I doubt very much that most posters on here would get 50 % of the questions right, let alone pass the physical...

Run around the pitch, immediately call a decision as you see it, not with the slow mo or angle the spectators see it, with huge pressure of being massacred by fellow Gaels and trying to be part of and entertaining game is a lot harder than you think... players management make a hell of a lot more mistakes than a ref!

And what do you imply by that statement - no one should question a refs decision?

westbound

My guess is, he is implying that people should know the rules before criticising referees.

I would add that some of the 'experts' in the media are the worst for not knowing the rules!
Any co-commentater on tv or radio (rte or Sky) should know the rules.

Bord na Mona man

Pundits who don't know the rules usually demand that the referee uses "common sense", whatever that implies.

magpie seanie

MR's points are valid. I try to keep up to date on the rules and admit it is a terribly difficult job. What aggravates me is getting fairly obvious stuff wrong. Like the ref recently (think it might have been Neilan?) whose application of the advantage rule was just wrong on several occasions. Appreciate it's difficult but when a ball is ballooned out to the corner I think it's pretty obvious the free 35/40 metres out in front of the goals would be more advantageous. The black card has made their job harder especially as 70% of the crowd don't understand the rule.

Mate of mine is reffing two years and loves it. I might give it a go next year.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: punt kick on July 28, 2017, 10:14:38 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 28, 2017, 04:20:24 AM

And what do you imply by that statement - no one should question a refs decision?

Nope I never said that, and when I'm watching my club play I am a club man who'll get as annoyed when I think the ref ballsed up... but this is what we have, without it we won't have the games... as for two refs, I think it's the daftest idea as they still won't see everything though the guy a thousand yards away will have an opinion
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Solo_run

Not so sure how well it could be implemented into GAA but rather than two referees I think it might be a good idea to have something like what they have in American football, that allows either managers or captains to challenge a decision - and to ensure the flow of the game, limit this to 2 or 3 challenges. Eradicating refereeing errors is never going to happen but by using this system it might at least prevent one bad decision deciding a game.

GalwayBayBoy

I had to mark David Gough down for...

A. Use of fake tan
B. Plucks his eyebrows

Syferus

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 28, 2017, 04:14:04 PM
I had to mark David Gough down for...

A. Use of fake tan
B. Plucks his eyebrows

Sounds like sort of the things that would put him up in most Galway peoples' opinions.

Itchy

Thought refs did well today. Few calls I'd disagree with both you'll have that. Overall good show.

omaghjoe

Quote from: theticklemister on July 28, 2017, 08:57:54 AM
Im not a ref but we all know who Martin Sludden is....... yis are fair game ;)

theticklemister

Quote from: omaghjoe on July 31, 2017, 08:00:43 AM
Quote from: theticklemister on July 28, 2017, 08:57:54 AM
Im not a ref but we all know who Martin Sludden is....... yis are fair game ;)

Did he come in for some rough treatment last week joe?