galway v kerry all ireland quarter final

Started by cornetto, July 23, 2017, 11:43:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cornetto

Well no time to dwell on victory over donegal,it was a great recovery from the connacht final,to be honest yesterday's match was similar to the connacht final in that donegal didn't turn up.
Well now it's kerry,they say if you are going to catch then it's at this stage as they come in cold,cork in fairness showed that were no slouches against mayo,it does add weight to Kerry's munster final victory.I am looking forward to a great game,I just think kerry will use the wide open spaces that will stretch our backline to breaking point.

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Syferus

Geaney and JOD versus Power, Kyne, Sweeney and Kerin.

Children shouldn't be let in to see that bloodbath.

GalwayBayBoy

I think we can cause them problems going forward but hard not to see Geaney, Donaghy and O'Donoghue causing rack and ruin. None of our full-back line is physically strong enough to mark Donaghy and Geaney one on one and none of them are quick enough to mark O'Donoghue. Galway maybe should go very defensive for the first 20 minutes or so just to get themselves into the game and take it from there.

twohands!!!

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 23, 2017, 02:07:36 PM
I think we can cause them problems going forward but hard not to see Geaney, Donaghy and O'Donoghue causing rack and ruin. None of our full-back line is physically strong enough to mark Donaghy and Geaney one on one and none of them are quick enough to mark O'Donoghue. Galway maybe should go very defensive for the first 20 minutes or so just to get themselves into the game and take it from there.

The thing is can Galway really go defensive ?

I'd be fairly doubtful of this team's ability to batten down the hatches, slow the game down and

Galway got a lot of joy in midfield but there is a world of difference between the current Donegal midfield and the Kerry midfield options.

I'd have serious questions about Galway's ability to close out a game especially when you look at their subs bench compared to Kerry's

The Galway subs last night were
David Wynne for Sweeney (60, black card)
Eamonn Branningan for Walsh (60)
Danny Cummins for Daly (63)
Michael Meehan for Comer (68)
David Walsh for Bradshaw (72)
Cillian McDaid for O'Donnell (72)

As a comparison the subs Kerry brought on versus Cork

S O'Brien (0-03) for Walsh (36 mins)
K Young for Fitzgerald (46 mins)
J Barry for Maher (59 mins)
BJ Keane (0-01) for O'Donoghue (63 mins)
D O'Sullivan for Donaghy (65 mins)
J Lyne for M Geaney (66 mins).

magpie seanie

KW in his first year or two had a good defensive system installed with Sligo and some of the personnel wouldn't have been known as good defenders. Obviously he's not going to install a new plan in a week but it is vital that Galway don't get caught for an early blitz.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: twohands!!! on July 23, 2017, 04:25:27 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 23, 2017, 02:07:36 PM

The thing is can Galway really go defensive ?

I'd be fairly doubtful of this team's ability to batten down the hatches, slow the game down and

Galway got a lot of joy in midfield but there is a world of difference between the current Donegal midfield and the Kerry midfield options.

I'd have serious questions about Galway's ability to close out a game especially when you look at their subs bench compared to Kerry's

The Galway subs last night were
David Wynne for Sweeney (60, black card)
Eamonn Branningan for Walsh (60)
Danny Cummins for Daly (63)
Michael Meehan for Comer (68)
David Walsh for Bradshaw (72)
Cillian McDaid for O'Donnell (72)

As a comparison the subs Kerry brought on versus Cork

S O'Brien (0-03) for Walsh (36 mins)
K Young for Fitzgerald (46 mins)
J Barry for Maher (59 mins)
BJ Keane (0-01) for O'Donoghue (63 mins)
D O'Sullivan for Donaghy (65 mins)
J Lyne for M Geaney (66 mins).
galway were very defensive v Ros last year in salthill

should be an interesting game

Owenmoresider

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 24, 2017, 11:18:28 AM
KW in his first year or two had a good defensive system installed with Sligo and some of the personnel wouldn't have been known as good defenders. Obviously he's not going to install a new plan in a week but it is vital that Galway don't get caught for an early blitz.
Our full-back line was more solid though.

TheGreatest

Kerry have to win the Connaught championship to get to the final, they will destroy Galway, who are too open, another easy run for the Kingdom, as it always has been..... 

Kerry V Tyrone or Dublin.

An Fhairche Abu

Whatever about systems etc. there has to be an acknowledgement of the weaknesses in the amount of viable and available players for certain positions on the pitch, people have lashed Kevin Walsh but Galway are not Kerry or Dublin with loads of players to pick from in all areas. Are there players within the county right now that are better, particularly in defence, than what's on the current Galway 31 player panel? I haven't heard about them if they are there.
Plenty of people have been on about Sean Andy from the u21 side playing if he was available all summer, Galway in both hurling and football have shown time and again that underage prowess is no guarantee of a capability to play Senior, we have no idea how he will pan out until he is playing there, to say he will solve the ills of the FB line is pure speculation. That said obviously I hope he's a superstar for Galway at Senior level.
Himself and Peter Cooke decided to go to play in the States this year and as young men with the opportunity to go and do that, few could argue against that choice.

Looking backward for a moment, I couldn't believe how poor Donegal were on Saturday evening, I was expecting a very stern test and they brought nothing to the table. Galway were up for the match and had the right attitude from minute one but really once Galway got a lead at all Donegal threw their collective hats at it.
It's astounding to think the same county was only the kick of a ball away from an All Ireland win 3 years ago compared to the awfulness of Saturday, they have been crucified with player retirements etc. but it's very sad to see Michael Murphy's regression, he looks like a thoroughbred that's been put doing too much carthorse work at this stage.

FOC shouldn't be let near midfield next week, Conroy and Flynn look much better balanced out there. Over the past few years it's been clear to see that invariably Galway will go however Paul Conroy goes on the day, when he plays well Galway are generally in with a shout, any big off days and the same is true of Galway's efforts.
However well Conroy and Flynn did the last day, there is no comparison between the anaemic Donegal midfield and the Kerry Moran/Maher axis, it will be difficult enough to merely break even out there and I would posit that unless Galway win the midfield battle by a large degree they have zero chance.

Kerry are the second best team in the country at the moment and they love playing Galway because they always win, this is accompanied by the usual plamás before and afterwards about "real football" and "playing it the right way", when the Kerry media mafia are complaining and seeking to undermine you pre match a la the noughties Tyrone team that's when you know they are actually worried.
It's a mammoth ask for Galway on Sunday but the Q-final is the game that Kerry are likely to be most vulnerable in, if Mayo were playing them on Sunday they'd be getting tipped by more than a few to cause an upset and honestly only for Aidan O'Shea's excellent form the last three games I think Mayo could be gone from the championship. Before the Mayo lads jump down my throat that's not to say that they won't improve to the much higher level they are capable of for the rest of the year in Croke Park, we all saw it happen last year.

I don't think that Galway have the backs or squad to match Kerry but I hope it's not as bad some reckon it's going to be, I've seen enough "murdered" Galway football teams this decade, could really do without that again.
Galway haven't beaten Kerry since 1965 in the championship, far superior Galway teams than this one couldn't get the better of them. They absolutely blew it again Tipp last year but amongst the lower part of the top 8 is really Galway's true level, they've got that far again this year so have a cut at it with aggression and purpose on Sunday, if they do that no one in Galway will criticise them for losing to a better team no matter the outcome, whatever external brickbats that might be thrown at them are irrelevant.

galwayman

We must surely be able to convert some guys who would usually play higher up the pitch into lads that can do an effective job Ina full back line?
Most county corner backs play out the field with their clubs these days.

Rossfan

Quote from: TheGreatest on July 24, 2017, 12:08:44 PM
Kerry have to win the Connaught championship to get to the final, they will destroy Galway, who are too open, another easy run for the Kingdom, as it always has been..... 

Kerry V Tyrone or Dublin.
A -it's CONNACHT
B- Donegal and Cork showed them weak Connacht teams a thing or 2.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Taylor

Looking forward to a really open game.
If it is a shootout then then there can be only one winner.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Taylor on July 24, 2017, 01:46:22 PM

In any game there can only be one winner. Unless it's a draw, and then there's no winner.

Taylor

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 24, 2017, 01:50:59 PM
Quote from: Taylor on July 24, 2017, 01:46:22 PM

In any game there can only be one winner. Unless it's a draw, and then there's no winner.

Or if its abandoned. Then there's no winner either