AIQF 2017 Tír Eoghain vs Ard Macha, Sat. August 5th @4pm

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, July 17, 2017, 06:37:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

No argument with the result, Tyrone were the better side and the game was effectively over after 10/15 minutes as you could see that the gameplan Armagh adopted was never going to trouble Tyrone. Pure stupidity from the Armagh management. The only way to stand a chance was to keep 2/3 men inside and kick the ball in long yet we persisted with a short passing running game which Tyrone are experts at turning over the opposition and breaking quickly. As for Tyrone they are a really joyless side to watch and it's easy to detest their style of play. They have a few great footballers in Harte and Donnelly but the rest are just entrenched in a robotic system. That said, it is very effective and I do believe they will go on and win the All Ireland.

AZOffaly

Are all the lads on here who were calling for Mickey Hartes head happy to pull their horns in, or do Tyrone have to beat Dublin to convince them?

RedHand88

Quote from: yellowcard on August 06, 2017, 10:23:36 AM
No argument with the result, Tyrone were the better side and the game was effectively over after 10/15 minutes as you could see that the gameplan Armagh adopted was never going to trouble Tyrone. Pure stupidity from the Armagh management. The only way to stand a chance was to keep 2/3 men inside and kick the ball in long yet we persisted with a short passing running game which Tyrone are experts at turning over the opposition and breaking quickly. As for Tyrone they are a really joyless side to watch and it's easy to detest their style of play. They have a few great footballers in Harte and Donnelly but the rest are just entrenched in a robotic system. That said, it is very effective and I do believe they will go on and win the All Ireland.

On the contrary I rather enjoyed yesterday

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 06, 2017, 10:41:05 AM
Are all the lads on here who were calling for Mickey Hartes head happy to pull their horns in, or do Tyrone have to beat Dublin to convince them?

Unfortunately AZ, that is the case for some, nothing less than the AI itself will suffice.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

yellowcard

Quote from: RedHand88 on August 06, 2017, 10:49:35 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on August 06, 2017, 10:23:36 AM

On the contrary I rather enjoyed yesterday

As is your entitlement. My idea of good entertaining football does not involve flooding the defence and then endlessly hand passing and soloing up the field.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: yellowcard on August 06, 2017, 10:53:27 AM

As is your entitlement. My idea of good entertaining football does not involve flooding the defence and then endlessly hand passing and soloing up the field.

As is your prerogative, but so long as we score more than the opposition it'll be our indulgence too ;)

omagh_gael

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 06, 2017, 10:41:05 AM

There were a couple of posters (more than likely one with additional profiles) that were wagering a campaign of bile towards Harte (often very personal) on the Tyrone area. Same poster has become very quiet recently.

Whishtup

After watching the two games yesterday, I can't comment on how the Tyrone tactics looked as I was delighted that we won by 18 points and get a crack at Dublin in the semis.  What I can say about that game is that there were some tremendous scores from the wings, goals, lightening pace-kick and hand passing, long and shot kickouts used efficiently.  Big Sean is approaching a season peak-I was watching him closely as I was wondering about his form in previous games.  Looks Physically stronger all the time and up and down the field all day.  He was in free space several times for goal chances and scored a couple of lovely points.  The man is a legend and
I am excited about how he will perform against the Dubs.

Watching the Dublin game as a neutral, I can say that the physical power and pace of the Dublin players is frightening-in the first half the team intensity was electric.  However, I would be concerned about how they finished.  Allowed Monaghan back into the gameplay and fluffed many chances with a weak finish.  Compare this to Tyrone's barnstorming finishes in all of their games.  There weren't many cheers from the hill as most of the scores were rudimentary scoring opportunities.  Brogan disappointing when he came on.

For the neutral, I don't know what is worse, watching a team (Tyrone) who is tactically set up to defend and attack at pace, or watching a team (Monaghan) who doesn't defend appropriately against a physically superior team, allowing the game to be over after 15 minutes. I would have preferred a dour slugfest in the second game and seen Monaghan come close to Dublin.

LCohen

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 06, 2017, 10:58:46 AM

As is your prerogative, but so long as we score more than the opposition it'll be our indulgence too ;)

That makes perfect sense right up to the point where you give it a moments thought.

When you are watching games that don't involve your team, do find these tactics entertaining?

LCohen

Quote from: stew on August 06, 2017, 10:19:04 AM
Quote from: LCohen on August 06, 2017, 12:03:08 AM
Just in. Long day. Have read nothing.

Bad day for the super 8 concept. Where are they going to get 8?

Hugely disappointed in our performance. We deployed tactics that were guaranteed to never work. We give in before throw in. Absolute cowardice.

I read all week about the influence of 02. Where was it?

We voluntarily decided to concede possession from all Tyrone kick outs. Was that 02?

We watched this go spectacularly wrong. We did nothing about it. What were the 02 boys saying or doing about it? Giving up? Giving in? Games are unwinnable and that justifies giving up?

We allow McCrory to take McParland for a tour of HQ and do nothing to pass him on. Mickey Harte dictates our tactics. This apparently is something we should settle for?????

Mickey Harte's dearest wish was that we would abandon our game plan, retreat to defence, leave one of front, in the central channel, right in the line of their sweeper . We gave Mickey all his christmasses, birthdays and probably the horn at once.

The set up was inexcusable. The failure to respond a disgrace

Stick to our guns. Got beat with our own game plan and actually give it a go and at least there would be some pride. There was no pride in that

Tremendous post.

McGeeney bottled it, stifled our best and let Harte dictate our gameplan, I have never seen anything like it.

Tyrone were magnificent, they knew they had our number before a ball was kicked and they destroyed us as soon as she was thrown in, nothing fixes this except a complete overhaul from the youngest levels up, we need to be limiting touches at practices, we need to modernise training practices and we need to ge the f**k out od division three, no excuses, no bullshit about the referees, we need to get promoted, promoted again and we need a new leader at the helm, McGeeney is a donkey, we need a thoroughbred and we need him now!

And I forgot to mention turning our backs to Colm Cavanagh and letting him run through the middle. Really smacked of the spirit of O2

Quote from: Throw ball on August 06, 2017, 09:05:11 AM
Quote from: LCohen on August 06, 2017, 08:45:26 AM
Quote from: tyroneman on August 06, 2017, 08:43:40 AM
Quote from: LCohen on August 06, 2017, 08:27:56 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 06, 2017, 01:49:43 AM
Quote from: T Fearon on August 06, 2017, 01:28:53 AM
I echo the comments on the train.I took the train today,one of the three specials.Fine on the way down,but a nightmare coming home.I was on the last train from Connolly (supposed to be departing at 9.20pm,left at 9.40pm,took a full hour to get to Drogheda.Young and not so young carrying parcels of drink (is there any other form of public transport that would allow this), and Liverpool fans on the train as well,and sadly copious amounts of sectarian songs being sung as the mainly young ones downed the alcohol.Also only for the intervention of a couple of wiser heads,there would have been fights breaking out too.Never again will I use a "GAA special", this is not the image GAA should be sending out,I was disgusted,God knows what anyone on the train of a non GAA disposition felt.
From chatting to Armagh ones from around the city there seems to be a scummer element from the Portadown/Lurgan contingent that can't go to any match without a feed of drink.

There is a sense of "I'd like to see them take the drink off us". They are probably right in that. But eventually translink/NIR might just say they won't bother with the GAA special and properly police the normal train. There is no automatic right to have a train put on for you so that you can behave like a lout.

All translink need to do is ban carry outs and restrict the bar to 1 drink per person per serve. There were ones bringing 2 crates of beer with them on board ffs.

It's only a matter of time before some YouTube footage makes us all embarrassed and translink's position difficult

Another thing that annoys me. Go to a match, have a few drinks no problem. But why get so strong that you annoy the head of everyone and not remember or care about the game. If you want to do that stay in the pub. The ticket price will buy a few more drinks.

Agreed, there is an element who use it as an excuse to emulate the behaviour of their townsfolk on the 12th. Not representative of genuine Armagh supporters (who they embarrass), hope other counties realise this. Well done Tyrone, looked like minors v seniors!
O'Neills Therapist

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: LCohen on August 06, 2017, 11:35:47 AM

That makes perfect sense right up to the point where you give it a moments thought.

When you are watching games that don't involve your team, do find these tactics entertaining?

I can actually empatise here, if not to actually sympathise, however, 20 scores from any team does not automatically denote a totally negative mindset -- the reality is that a team, any team, must exploit their resources to maximum effect, to be at all relevant, and since we're not blessed with marquee forwards I think we're doing damned well.

Neutral observer enjoyment is never, never, the principal aim of any team, rather a fortuitous by-product, and quite honestly, so long as we continue to remain on the right side of results, I couldn't actually give a feck, sorry.

maddog

Well done Tyrone. Now go and rattle the dubs. We are a while off but building. If someone had said to me coming out of the marshes we would make quarters I would have offered them a lift to st Luke's.

Jayop

The Tyrone games have been dull for a neutral this summer but that's not the fault of Tyrone. It's the fault of inept opponents. Against a better team with a closer game it'll be fine to watch. How people can accuse a team that's scores an insane amount of being dour and defensive is beyond me.

Taylor

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 06, 2017, 11:54:52 AM
Quote from: LCohen on August 06, 2017, 11:35:47 AM

I can actually empatise here, if not to actually sympathise, however, 20 scores from any team does not automatically denote a totally negative mindset -- the reality is that a team, any team, must exploit their resources to maximum effect, to be at all relevant, and since we're not blessed with marquee forwards I think we're doing damned well.

Neutral observer enjoyment is never, never, the principal aim of any team, rather a fortuitous by-product, and quite honestly, so long as we continue to remain on the right side of results, I couldn't actually give a feck, sorry.

I disagree Fear, we have marquee forwards but our system of play doesn't allow us to play them.
Either way, given the scores we are racking up it doesn't matter currently.