Ulster Final: Tyrone v Down 16/07/17 14.00 Clones

Started by omagh_gael, June 22, 2017, 10:12:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Did Down not win a match in 2 years until the 3rd round of the league this year? It is great to.see them in the Ulster Final.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: seafoid on June 27, 2017, 02:05:07 PM
I saw this quote a while ago : "It really is dreadful stuff. It's the sort of game you associate with Tyrone but it is up to everyone else to come out and beat them". If Down scored a few goals I presume it would do the job.

FFS! If you're going to quote some anti-Tyrone gobshite, at least do the numpty the honour of attribution! :P ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Fuzzman

Was that Brolly who said that? At which game was it?
I see Brolly has already changed from Tyrone are going nowhere and their team are all depressed from being having so much fear to now being AI contenders with a total team ethos and not dependent on any one player.

I was looking at the B side of the draw as that's who the losers of Ulster and Leinster play.
It looks a lot easier than the A side with Monaghan, Cavan and Armagh looking the most likely to come through I reckon
You could see Monaghan v Kildare and Cavan v Down/Tyrone in round 4. I'm sure Monaghan would be delighted to meet Tyrone again in an AI quarterfinal.

seafoid

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on June 28, 2017, 01:26:21 PM
I saw this quote a while ago : "It really is dreadful stuff. It's the sort of game you associate with Tyrone but it is up to everyone else to come out and beat them". If Down scored a few goals I presume it would do the job.

FFS! If you're going to quote some anti-Tyrone gobshite, at least do the numpty the honour of attribution! :P ;)
Might have been TSG. I thought Tyrone had the everyone hates us , we don't care attitude
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

OgraAnDun

Quote from: seafoid on June 28, 2017, 05:25:27 PM

Might have been TSG. I thought Tyrone had the everyone hates us , we don't care attitude

It was O'Rourke on TSG.

Aaron Boone

Tyrone have only two weeks to make up the gap in the physicality stakes and to be honest that's not enough time. Down will be stronger on the pitch and consequently also on the scoreboard.

omaghjoe

Quote from: OgraAnDun on June 28, 2017, 06:49:35 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 28, 2017, 05:25:27 PM

It was O'Rourke on TSG.

:D  :D
Poor ole Colm, every time the dreary plonker is on I cant help think he's a metaphor for the demise of Meath football.
It would be sad if it wasn't so funny

omaghjoe

Quote from: Aaron Boone on June 28, 2017, 07:07:58 PM
Tyrone have only two weeks to make up the gap in the physicality stakes and to be honest that's not enough time. Down will be stronger on the pitch and consequently also on the scoreboard.
Start with BS, then use it as a basis for more nonsense.
Come to think of it its like a template a TSG pundit's match preview

omaghjoe

Seems like a long ole stretch to the final the year, is there an extra week between the semis? Somethin to do with fixture congestion?

SamFever

Quote from: omaghjoe on June 28, 2017, 08:22:23 PM
Seems like a long ole stretch to the final the year, is there an extra week between the semis? Somethin to do with fixture congestion?
it's been a long ole stretch for Down alright.5 years.

Fuzzman

It's hard to believe that it's 23 years since Down last won an Ulster title, back in 1994 where they went on to win Sam. They beat Tyrone in the Ulster final that day however, Tyrone would go on to win the next two Ulster titles in a row, a feat that hadn't been done since Derry 1976-77.

Some great players on the pitch that day from both sides who went on to play in consecutive All-Ireland finals. More so on the Down team perhaps with Linden, Ross Carr, James McCartan though Canavan and Cush were coming good in those days.

Stop the video on 1.05 to bring back a funny memory from the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-TFr7SbSio

God its a very different type of game nowadays though Paul Donnelly would probably love it today.

Can anyone remember the team from that day? Was that Aidy Morris wearing 7 and was Plunkett still playing that day with Corr? Did Jody Gormley come on board the following year?
Big Adrian Kilpatrick at 11 and Barney Gormley 13. Not sure who was at 15. Was McGarrity and Sean McLaughlin on board that year? Two Lawns and two Canavans. We always seem to have a lot of brothers on Tyrone teams, even back in 1986 McClures and Mallons.

Dire Ear

WT4E

Remember being behind the goal when Carr took that penalty - some strike!

I think he thanked god after it if my memory serves me well!!!

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

omaghjoe

Ill have a quick stab at the teams of the top of my head

McConnell
F. Devlin
C. Lawn
P. Devlin
MOrris
Kilpatrick
Donnelly
Donaghy
Pas Canavan (or  was he suspended from Derry match?)
Stephen Lawn
Corr
Cush
Loughran
Canavan
McGleenan

Down

Neil (something.... was it Burns)
Higgins
Burns
Mason
Kane