Previous topic - Next topic

longballin

Quote from: caprea on January 29, 2018, 05:47:50 PM
Quote from: longballin on January 29, 2018, 05:31:08 PM
Quote from: caprea on January 29, 2018, 05:28:48 PM
Quote from: longballin on January 29, 2018, 05:23:31 PM
Quote from: caprea on January 29, 2018, 05:17:56 PM
Quote from: longballin on January 29, 2018, 04:46:10 PM
Apart from correctly calling out GPA, SKY deal, Tyrone's tactics...

2 years ago he said Tyrone would ambush Dublin..how'd that work out?...he hasn't a notion and nobody that matters listens to him.

sounds like you listen to him  ;D

Well he's hard to avoid. It's the poor unfortunates who think they are getting an insight into modern intercounty football from him that I feel sorry. He's good for an insight on 90s football and the under 16s he coaches and that's it.

I think he's fairly clued in out the GPA and SKY and I feel sorry for the poor unfortunate who is bought in by Murdock and elitism if it's any consolation

Good luck with that, it really seems the GAA are taking huge notice.

Of course they're not, that's why CPA was formed because of treatment of clubs. Good we have people like Joe Brolly to challenge them about it.

caprea

Quote from: longballin on January 29, 2018, 06:19:47 PM

2 years ago he said Tyrone would ambush Dublin..how'd that work out?...he hasn't a notion and nobody that matters listens to him.

Well he's hard to avoid. It's the poor unfortunates who think they are getting an insight into modern intercounty football from him that I feel sorry. He's good for an insight on 90s football and the under 16s he coaches and that's it.

I think he's fairly clued in out the GPA and SKY and I feel sorry for the poor unfortunate who is bought in by Murdock and elitism if it's any consolation

Of course they're not, that's why CPA was formed because of treatment of clubs. Good we have people like Joe Brolly to challenge them about it.

In my own opinion there is one huge problem facing the GAA; 80% of football counties are making up the numbers. No ambition or chance to win anything and Brolly almost never mentions it.

Good luck to the CPA but they have no power, no paying membership, no threat of strike. Just a glorified talking shop for now.

longballin

Quote from: caprea on January 29, 2018, 06:25:57 PM

In my own opinion there is one huge problem facing the GAA; 80% of football counties are making up the numbers. No ambition or chance to win anything and Brolly almost never mentions it.

Good luck to the CPA but they have no power, no paying membership, no threat of strike. Just a glorified talking shop for now.

he has often advocated a tiered system... thats why 80% make up the numbers

caprea

Quote from: longballin on January 29, 2018, 06:35:14 PM

Never heard him advocate it, wouldn't be in favour anyway.

longballin

Quote from: caprea on January 29, 2018, 06:54:07 PM

Is why football championship is a mess. Div 1 teams V Div 4   nonsense

Kickham csc

But they do have the ability to organize a boycott of the county games. 90% of county attendances would be loyal club people who 1st alliance is with club issues. They the organized a 1 day boycott of national league attendances, the GAA would sit up and take notice

caprea

Quote from: Kickham csc on January 29, 2018, 09:54:37 PM

But they do have the ability to organize a boycott of the county games. 90% of county attendances would be loyal club people who 1st alliance is with club issues. They the organized a 1 day boycott of national league attendances, the GAA would sit up and take notice

They don't have that ability. All they have at the moment is 20000 people who signed up online. That is grand but what does it really mean?

caprea

Quote from: longballin on January 29, 2018, 09:20:15 PM
Quote from: caprea on January 29, 2018, 06:54:07 PM

Is why football championship is a mess. Div 1 teams V Div 4   nonsense

Dublin versus division 1 teams ; Tyrone, Monaghan, kildare are non events so problem is far wider than div 1 vs div 4

Kickham csc

Quote from: caprea on January 29, 2018, 09:58:23 PM
Quote from: Kickham csc on January 29, 2018, 09:54:37 PM

They don't have that ability. All they have at the moment is 20000 people who signed up online. That is grand but what does it really mean?

If the CPA wanted to, it could easily impact attendances by organizing a boycott. Remember, it's club members who attend the games so it would not take a lot to influence club members throughout the country not to attend games to put pressure on the GAA to fix the club scheduling issues.

In 2015 Attendances for championship were approx. 900k, for 2016 approx. 800k

The CPA could get 20,000 to influence 10 people each to not attend a round of GAA matches, or even boycott the attending the year.

so 20k x 10 = 200k, which could equate to 20% to 25% reduction in attendances

They could also send out a message, or get rep in each club to organize a boycott by each club.

Even if the CPA were able to reduce attendances by 10%, approx. 90k (15) -80k (16, the GAA would be worried.

It's drastic, but def doable

Dinny Breen

If the CPA wanted to, it could easily impact attendances by organizing a boycott. Remember, it's club members who attend the games so it would not take a lot to influence club members throughout the country not to attend games to put pressure on the GAA to fix the club scheduling issues.

Wouldn't be so sure, how many of Dublin's supporters would be club members? Lot of people support inter-county without being club members or indeed active club members. A boycott would be an exercise in futility and could be counter-productive. Any boycott proposal would probably see the GAA ramp up the marketing.
#newbridgeornowhere

Rossfan

Whatever about Joe B. talking shite this thread has descended into total nonsense now.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Main Street

Quote from: DuffleKing on January 29, 2018, 11:23:04 AM

You believe a Dublin player actually texted him?

:o
Why not? Joe is the GAA's Angela McNamara.  One day in the distant future, GAA historians will be able to trace the revolution in GAA thinking directly back to Joe's columns and his apparently accessible agony uncle persona.

dublin7

Quote from: Rossfan on January 30, 2018, 11:44:41 AM
Whatever about Joe B. talking shite this thread has descended into total nonsense now.

For all the hatred posters on this MB have towards Joe they still seem to read his column every week.

If Joe looked as this thread he would just start laughing at it and this in turn would lead to another 100 odd pages of abuse.  At this stage some posters are just looking to take offence and the title of the thread title should be changed to "rant and feel better" 

Jinxy

Who's taken offence?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

J70

Quote from: dublin7 on January 30, 2018, 02:11:52 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on January 30, 2018, 11:44:41 AM

For all the hatred posters on this MB have towards Joe they still seem to read his column every week.

If Joe looked as this thread he would just start laughing at it and this in turn would lead to another 100 odd pages of abuse.  At this stage some posters are just looking to take offence and the title of the thread title should be changed to "rant and feel better"

Have to agree with you.

Ultimately, what difference does any of this really make? The games are entertainment. The pundits talking about them are entertainment. There is no life or death or even semi-serious life issues at stake here.

I enjoy Joe Brolly, even when I don't agree with him or he is intentionally pushing buttons. I like his enthusiasm and passion, his articulateness (is that a word?) and his cockiness and twinkle in his eye. I like the considered and knowledgeable tactical analysis of Canavan and McGuinness on Sky, but there's room for a bit of hype from Joe and Spillane on RTE too.