Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hectic

Yeah I get that alright but tis Rossa that stand in the way of a clean sweep.

My point about Belfast City is a general one - given the population you would think with good investment it could be a hot bed of Gaelic games and the catalyst that Antrim County needs.

bogieman

I think Aghagallon should nudge it, although it would be good for the Rossa centenary to bring some county spoils to the city.

Aldergrove by several if they keep their discipline, Glenavy by a couple if they keep theirs, there will be indiscipline...

If the u21B is being included as clean sweep, Moneyglass in minorB, Cargin in reserve cup and city slickers Gort in the reserve shield.

Hectic, are you saying that the city schools/clubs should get any Croke development money that's available ?
Should any 'city' designated money be shared with Derry too ?
Do you think it's all about money, when 'somebody' leads them by the hand ? Wonder who will do the leading, you already seem to be looking south...

A strong football argument may be to put any money into already successful structures in the southwest, and get even more success in ulster and further, and let these guys 'drive' the county on; their shoulders are already to the wheel, and weren't paid to put it there...
Ps the same hurling argument applies to north antrim.

For Antrim to be successful, south antrim needs to get its own house in order, and not look to Croke to pay them to look for the wheels. This may require a cull, and some 'joined up' thinking to plan and manage the inevitable euphemistically called 'social issues'.

All idle hands to the club pump first lads... This empowerment is an important step, there's no entitlement to being successful.
This is not Irish dancing. -RH

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bogieman on November 29, 2016, 09:24:21 PM
I think Aghagallon should nudge it, although it would be good for the Rossa centenary to bring some county spoils to the city.

Aldergrove by several if they keep their discipline, Glenavy by a couple if they keep theirs, there will be indiscipline...

If the u21B is being included as clean sweep, Moneyglass in minorB, Cargin in reserve cup and city slickers Gort in the reserve shield.

Hectic, are you saying that the city schools/clubs should get any Croke development money that's available ?
Do you think it's all about money, when 'somebody' leads them by the hand ? Wonder who will do the leading, you already seem to be looking south...

A strong football argument may be to put any money into already successful structures in the southwest, and get even more success in ulster and further, and let these guys 'drive' the county on; their shoulders are already to the wheel, and weren't paid to put it there...

For Antrim to be successful, south antrim needs to get its own house in order, and not look to Croke to pay them to look for the wheels. This may require a cull, and some 'joined up' thinking to plan and manage the inevitable euphemistically called 'social issues'.

All idle hands to the club pump first lads... This empowerment is an important step, there's no entitlement to being successful.

Successful for one year and you're getting on like it's always been happening 😂! Were we getting our act together when winning ulsters all Irelands and 12 odd titles in 13 years?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

paddyjohn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 29, 2016, 10:06:23 PM

Successful for one year and you're getting on like it's always been happening 😂! Were we getting our act together when winning ulsters all Irelands and 12 odd titles in 13 years?

How many Ulsters?

imtommygunn

Didn't realise you'd won ulster or all irelands at your club mr. Good job you reminded us ???

Truthfully the gaa in belfast is struggling and we all know it. That's not to take away from the good work a lot of guys do and not a slight on belfast just reality. St galls good team masked it a bit.

Rossa might come up a bit now but over the last few years good underage teams seem to have failed to transition to good senior teams - e.g. Lamh dhearg minor team and st johns in either code.

Apart from dublin it is happening a bit in irish city areas. Cork isn't what it was either and sure look at derry city. Galway fading a bit in football too.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: paddyjohn on November 29, 2016, 10:25:35 PM

How many Ulsters?

Just the 3 as a club but sure, the Johnnies have an All Ireland final appearnce also   

These things run in cycles, always have, ourselves Rossa and the Johnnies have won a fair few chamionships at football, as for underage stuff  I'd say the Belfast clubs have won their fair share if not more... I don't think the panic button is being hit in Belfast just yet but as tommy has said some of the citys aint doing well at club level

I can only really talk about my own club and the hard work being done by committee and coaches to realise we wont be too far away in the near future....

Lamhs, Rossa and of course the Johnnies have produced seriously good juvenile teams but what ever happens between under 21 to senior needs looking at...

Country teams have the same problem, kids moving away for work or college, losing lads through drink and women!!

I'd be happy with a structured coaching (at juvenile level) system that encouraged coaches to work to a plan instead of their own 'plan' which makes things worse in my view/experience.. should we get a joined up approach we'd actually compete wit most counties
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Hectic

No I am simply saying if there is a policy driving funding to Dublin City and all the associated justification for it then the same should apply to Belfast city.

Hectic

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 29, 2016, 11:26:39 PM
Quote from: paddyjohn on November 29, 2016, 10:25:35 PM

How many Ulsters?

Just the 3 as a club but sure, the Johnnies have an All Ireland final appearnce also   

These things run in cycles, always have, ourselves Rossa and the Johnnies have won a fair few chamionships at football, as for underage stuff  I'd say the Belfast clubs have won their fair share if not more... I don't think the panic button is being hit in Belfast just yet but as tommy has said some of the citys aint doing well at club level

I can only really talk about my own club and the hard work being done by committee and coaches to realise we wont be too far away in the near future....

Lamhs, Rossa and of course the Johnnies have produced seriously good juvenile teams but what ever happens between under 21 to senior needs looking at...

Country teams have the same problem, kids moving away for work or college, losing lads through drink and women!!

I'd be happy with a structured coaching (at juvenile level) system that encouraged coaches to work to a plan instead of their own 'plan' which makes things worse in my view/experience.. should we get a joined up approach we'd actually compete wit most counties

I think that is all fair enough but when you are looking at potential population is a very big factor but at the same time that potential needs to be realised and harnessed - that is where I believe the city clubs could do with some help.  Yes they may win their fair share but with their numbers and the correct structures etc they should be nearly unstoppable.  The reality is that many country clubs have the GAA as central to their communities and their communities focus and this often compensates having for smaller populations.

Na Glinntí Glasa

your last sentence hetic prob sums it up - in country clubs the GAA is central to their communities.

I know in our village its everything, there is nothing that can bring people out like the GAA. Most people are involved in some form whether it be playing, coaching, kids playing, supporting, donating etc. Its the life of the area. The kids are in the academy even last night training and playing gaelic football.

Father PJ McCamphill once said that you look at where the pitch is based, beside the primary school and the chapel, all the 3 main points for people in the village. i think that sums up why the GAA club is so strong in our area, its embedded in it from a young age and remains the focal point in the area for the rest of your life.
hurl like f**k boi!

country bumpkin

Quote from: Dunloy realist on November 30, 2016, 09:32:36 AM
your last sentence hetic prob sums it up - in country clubs the GAA is central to their communities.

I know in our village its everything, there is nothing that can bring people out like the GAA. Most people are involved in some form whether it be playing, coaching, kids playing, supporting, donating etc. Its the life of the area. The kids are in the academy even last night training and playing gaelic football.

Father PJ McCamphill once said that you look at where the pitch is based, beside the primary school and the chapel, all the 3 main points for people in the village. i think that sums up why the GAA club is so strong in our area, its embedded in it from a young age and remains the focal point in the area for the rest of your life.

country bumpkin

True indeed Hectic MR2 does miss the point completely football is indeed central in Cargin and the structure and utter loyalty to the club has ensured the survival and indeed development of Erin's Own for almost a century.
Belfast based clubs are not based on such and the go anywhere mentality which exists does not bind any young lad to 'his club' from the first day he picks up a ball dilutes loyalty and indeed such may well be a factor when the Saffron is worn.
West Belfast is one of the most densely populated areas in Western Europe and with such as a recruitment area which is huge indeed in comparison to their country cousins teams from Cargin, Dunloy, Loughgile etc should rarely get a look in.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: country bumpkin on November 30, 2016, 02:59:35 PM

True indeed Hectic MR2 does miss the point completely football is indeed central in Cargin and the structure and utter loyalty to the club has ensured the survival and indeed development of Erin's Own for almost a century.
Belfast based clubs are not based on such and the go anywhere mentality which exists does not bind any young lad to 'his club' from the first day he picks up a ball dilutes loyalty and indeed such may well be a factor when the Saffron is worn.
West Belfast is one of the most densely populated areas in Western Europe and with such as a recruitment area which is huge indeed in comparison to their country cousins teams from Cargin, Dunloy, Loughgile etc should rarely get a look in.

Our club is over a hundred years 1910 to be exact (hundred years later we won an all Ireland club, I'll not bore you in that lol ) we've big family traditions within the club that are very much still associated with it.... heritage and a sense of community is very much important... but yes city teams don't have a real parish as such, st endas Ardoyne Pearses and possibly Gorts being the closest to that...

country bumpkin

Please MR2........just how many of the Gall's team which won in 06 were born on the Lower Falls......the Gallagher bros, Dr Mc Crory, Sean Burns, Terry O' Neill......come to mind..?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: country bumpkin on November 30, 2016, 06:07:02 PM
Please MR2........just how many of the Gall's team which won in 06 were born on the Lower Falls......the Gallagher bros, Dr Mc Crory, Sean Burns, Terry O' Neill......come to mind..?

A Cargin man talking about  players from outside the parish? Do you want me to go down that road?

country bumpkin

Please do my friend......been about a while and I can only recall a couple....but u can elaborate?