Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hurlingstick

Ballycastle v Cushendal in U21 Championship? How come Cushendal are through? Were Ballycastle put out?

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 28, 2016, 11:18:51 PM
Quote from: Seamroga in exile on May 28, 2016, 08:29:46 PM
Quote from: Jesusjones on May 28, 2016, 02:48:02 PM
If you want a stadium in the middle of a GAA stronghold in Antrim you may put it on top of Orra Mountain. Slap bang in the middle of Cushendall, Loughgiel, Dunloy and Ballycastle.
that's a nature reserve. I suggest build it on the loughgiel side. It's sunnier that side.  ;D
Where would the locals go diffing if Orra Bridge was part of the new Casement?
down by the high ups.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

btdtgtt

Quote from: NAG1 on May 28, 2016, 08:56:37 PM
Quote from: btdtgtt on May 28, 2016, 10:10:13 AM
Quote from: NAG1 on May 27, 2016, 03:36:10 PM
Quote from: btdtgtt on May 27, 2016, 01:15:51 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on May 27, 2016, 11:00:25 AM
Quote from: btdtgtt on May 27, 2016, 10:49:41 AM
Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on May 27, 2016, 10:31:26 AM
Championship games aside , I cannot remember a decent crowd for a county league match in Casement. The idea of playing in an empty stadium is not a new thing.

That's true - but the millions and the delays around it are very new!
For young lads, playing there was still a great carrot and attraction to GAA - we may well lost that.
Slightly insular perhaps - but Belfast needs all the help it can get with hurling (and football) and a meaningful stadium would certainly help.

Fair to say that 85% plus of West Belfast have no connection or affinity to the GAA?
Plonking a stadium in there will have limited impact on that percentage of the population.

No.
Where'd u get that figure from?
Your back side obviously.
And you have neither any evidence of a stadium there for decades being "plonked" nor that a redevelopment will not have an impact. But I certainly think a waste ground or social housing - will definitely not help.
Sorry but that's an absolute nonsense post NAG.

I wasnt claiming to be totally accurate, my point being that you have a population that in the main do not come out to support the county or their own clubs in any sort of numbers. You have clubs struggling to get under age teams out even in amalgamations.

Setting a stadium in there that has no relevance to them will not change this. Yes the stadium has been there for decades and yes for decades the local population have largely ignored what happened inside the gates.

A provincial stadium does not cater for Antrim's needs. So what are the ulterior motives for building this stadium if it is not for the betterment of Antrim GAA?

Regardless of what figure you erroneously pluck from the air as percentage interest in Gaelic games in west Belfast - the numbers of people in the city (not to mention road network for access from Ulster) entirely justified the stadium to be in Belfast.

The point you make about Antrim rather than w provincial stadium is irrelevant - it IS a provincial stadium. It WILL be in Belfast.

If your idea is to neglect Belfast in favour of a separate more rural county stadium - I would suggest that a fair enough viewpoint. But leaving aside how long it's taken us to finance limited development there - 2 stadia so close together seems unjustifiable. And a county with as little success (&finance) as Antrim should be doing everything in our power to harness the existing numbers & potential in Belfast rather that packing up and moving to the great GAA stronghold of dunsilly.

I'm not arguing for a stadium elsewhere my point is simply that the arguments being put forward for the stadium are completely flawEd now.

It is being sold now as a community facility so where is the benefit of a community facility for anyone who is not in that specific community?

Also I'm not hearing any strategies to go along side the stadium to revamp the GAA in Belfast.  We had the Belfast strategy a while back and things do not seem to have moved forward.

Understood! Yes I agree.
Also, the PR campaign is oh so Trump.
All noise and no substance.

hurlingstick

This has turned into a Casement Park thread  >:(

Megaman

Quote from: hurlingstick on May 28, 2016, 11:19:43 PM
Ballycastle v Cushendal in U21 Championship? How come Cushendal are through? Were Ballycastle put out?

No, but i believe they should have been.

as far as i know its on next Monday evening.

As for the casement thing, i strongly believe we do not need this 38K stafium, i cant see how it will benefit Antrim Hurling one bit.

Hand up

McQuillans are out after they sent in an email to CCC saying they couldn't field during the week. It's ended up messy with no winners, pardon the pun!! The intervention of the CCC Chairman hasn't helped his reputation either him being from the Town.

hurlingstick

Quote from: Hand up on May 30, 2016, 04:47:10 PM
McQuillans are out after they sent in an email to CCC saying they couldn't field during the week. It's ended up messy with no winners, pardon the pun!! The intervention of the CCC Chairman hasn't helped his reputation either him being from the Town.

Thanks for reply. It would be better if these games went ahead. I don't believe a club as big as Ballycastle couldn't field. There are always going to be times (especially at underage) where clubs are going to be missing a key player or two. But games should be played anyhow as long as they've had sufficient notice of the fixture's date.

cfclg

The lack of chat on here about our county team playing in a national final tomorrow proves to me that we still have this arrogance about us that we believe we are better than what we are and haven't come to terms that Christy Ring is our level. Waken up folks, its not 1989 anymore!!! I think we will be in for a rude awakening tomorrow afternoon against a decent Meath side.

County website has failed me again. No fancy banner when you go online to let you know about the final.

We are either really arrogant or really stupid in Antrim (or maybe both!).

theskull1

Quite a leap to conclude a lack of conversation as arrogance  :o
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

MoChara

Quote from: cfclg on June 03, 2016, 10:32:57 AM
The lack of chat on here about our county team playing in a national final tomorrow proves to me that we still have this arrogance about us that we believe we are better than what we are and haven't come to terms that Christy Ring is our level. Waken up folks, its not 1989 anymore!!! I think we will be in for a rude awakening tomorrow afternoon against a decent Meath side.

County website has failed me again. No fancy banner when you go online to let you know about the final.

I think the problem is we are slightly above Christy Ring standard but not near the level for competitiveness of above it. I know early results this year in the league suggest other wise but that how I see it.

Makes for a shite situation where either you should win everything and how can you get excited about something you shouldn't lose, keep in mind tomorrow for Antrim fans there is no respectable performance from tomorrow other than a win. In a way its a case of we have more to lose than to gain from tomorrow because we can only really lose credibility in our own eyes.

If we go a level up we will get drubbed, leaves us in a frustrating limbo situation.

Some of this is arrogance I suppose, I'll be cheering on the Saffs tomorrow anyway as you can only win what your in, and some silver ware should help morale.

hurlingstick

Quote from: MoChara on June 03, 2016, 11:30:55 AM

I think the problem is we are slightly above Christy Ring standard but not near the level for competitiveness of above it. I know early results this year in the league suggest other wise but that how I see it.

Makes for a shite situation where either you should win everything and how can you get excited about something you shouldn't lose, keep in mind tomorrow for Antrim fans there is no respectable performance from tomorrow other than a win. In a way its a case of we have more to lose than to gain from tomorrow because we can only really lose credibility in our own eyes.

If we go a level up we will get drubbed, leaves us in a frustrating limbo situation.

Some of this is arrogance I suppose, I'll be cheering on the Saffs tomorrow anyway as you can only win what your in, and some silver ware should help morale.

Guarantees us a Leinster Quarter Final next year if I'm not mistaken. That should be our goal. Try and reach a Leinster semi final. Surely that would give us a bit of motivation. We have to beat Meath though!

MoChara

Quote from: hurlingstick on June 03, 2016, 12:14:05 PM
Quote from: MoChara on June 03, 2016, 11:30:55 AM

Guarantees us a Leinster Quarter Final next year if I'm not mistaken. That should be our goal. Try and reach a Leinster semi final. Surely that would give us a bit of motivation. We have to beat Meath though!

I agree we shouldn't be underestimating Meath as our wobbles at the start of the year showed, seems a bit more grit in the team since the new set-up though thankfully.

Seamroga in exile

Half time. Antrim 1-10 meath 0-07.  8)

Seamroga in exile

2 minutes plus injury time left. Antrim 1-20  Meath 1-17

Seamroga in exile

Goal for meath. All square