Russia invades Ukraine Feb 2022

Started by Main Street, February 12, 2022, 09:38:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Main Street on March 17, 2022, 08:30:39 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on March 17, 2022, 03:47:27 PM
Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on March 17, 2022, 03:44:00 PM
It is hypocritical but at the same time it doesnt sit right having russians playing tennis aroud the world as if nothing is happening whilst their army flattens ukranian cities. God knows how many died in that theatre alone. The argument that ah but sure the brits did this and the Us did that doesnt somehow excuse russias actions.

I suppose it's the double standards that sticks a bit fellow Johnny...

There's numerous examples of it around the world
Along with economic sanctions and a cultural boycott there was a sporting boycott of South Africa enacted during the apartheid era, not lifted until Nelson Mandela walked free, free elections announced and end of the Apartheid system.
The difference then was that it had all started from the bottom, building popular support and popular movements. The boycott and sanctions hurt everybody in SA, probably hit people at the bottom more, but every sanction and every boycott had the total support of the ANC who promoted such worldwide resistance. I had no issues then with aspects of obvious hypocrisy in the boycott what trumped all debate was that the Apartheid system had to be smashed and in a similar way Russia has to be similarly boycotted and sanctioned on all levels.   
Yes, nobody has ever succeeded with sanctions when the USA starts wars. NATO doesn't start wars generally, it's the USA who starts wars, Nato either stands idly by or joins in later at some stage.

Apartheid was a brutal regime, but South Africa is run by gangsters at the minute, it's not a nice place
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

It's kind of hard to look round the world these days and find a country that isn't run by gangsters - they just come in various forms  :(

seafoid

https://www.ft.com/content/b153eb2e-c4ed-4d9d-b854-cbfa98038f21

Gustav Gressel, a Berlin-based analyst of Russian foreign and defence policy at the European Council on Foreign Relations said he believed the talks to be a Russian tactical ploy.
"I am always very sceptical about Russians negotiating," he said. "We saw it repeatedly in Syria. The West or the Turks go in with these high hopes that the Russians are ready to change their position and de-escalate and it always turns out not to be the case."
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

imtommygunn

Yeah I think that is a widely held belief.

armaghniac

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 18, 2022, 08:16:59 AM
Apartheid was a brutal regime, but South Africa is run by gangsters at the minute, it's not a nice place

One problem is that a place run by gangsters tends to have an immature political culture, so one lot are replaced by another. Hence you have the Soviet crowd replaced by the equally unpleasant Putinists, or the Taliban swapping places with an out and out corrupt government in Afghanistan.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Wildweasel74

Well what about here The majority pick Dup and, Sinn Fein all the time, I think there been a working govt here 10out of 24yrs.But we complain a the time about how crap they are, but come election time pick the same side, expecting something different, then blame the same shit on the other side. When we are selfs are to blame for what happens in N Ireland. I honestly like to see Alliance get a chance at it here as the current setup doesn't cut it.

johnnycool

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on March 18, 2022, 12:38:47 PM
Well what about here The majority pick Dup and, Sinn Fein all the time, I think there been a working govt here 10out of 24yrs.But we complain a the time about how crap they are, but come election time pick the same side, expecting something different, then blame the same shit on the other side. When we are selfs are to blame for what happens in N Ireland. I honestly like to see Alliance get a chance at it here as the current setup doesn't cut it.

There's the good old, ones as bad as the other mantra right there...

Enforced coalition makes it near on impossible to implement the changes required and more often than not it's the DUP holding everything up, think 3 YR budget, every other party agreed with Murphy's proposed budget but not the DUP, so no budget...

Shinners make plenty of f**k ups of their own without taking the hit for the DUP's as well..

seafoid

The NI opposition parties appear to be more rational, with the obvious exception of the batshit TUV.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

dublin7

Quote from: seafoid on March 18, 2022, 06:13:00 PM
The NI opposition parties appear to be more rational, with the obvious exception of the batshit TUV.

NI parties don't do rational or basic common sense. If they did Stormont wouldn't be the shit show it is. Stormont is an example of how not to govern. Two parties on completely opposite sides who refuse to compromise. In years to come it'll be a case study on ignorance, stupidity and bigotry

Captain Obvious

Many thousands at a event in Moscow today to celebrate Annexation of Crimea. Putin the main event talking to his deluded followers.

armaghniac

Putin's rally undone by the Cosmonauts turning up in yellow and blue instead of the regular uniforms. Fair play.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

RedHand88

Quote from: armaghniac on March 19, 2022, 03:41:05 AM
Putin's rally undone by the Cosmonauts turning up in yellow and blue instead of the regular uniforms. Fair play.

They always wear yellow and blue. They have done for years. Big Russian flag across the breast sort of banished the narrative.
Friendly reminder that western media is at it.

Solo_run

Quote from: RedHand88 on March 19, 2022, 09:02:19 PM

They always wear yellow and blue. They have done for years. Big Russian flag across the breast sort of banished the narrative.

I'm almost 100% certain they wear a primarily blue uniform. I have been watching among the stars documentary with Chris Cassidy

RedHand88

Quote from: Solo_run on March 19, 2022, 09:12:20 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on March 19, 2022, 09:02:19 PM

I'm almost 100% certain they wear a primarily blue uniform. I have been watching among the stars documentary with Chris Cassidy

Nah there's photos online going back to 2014 in the yellow uniforms. If they were making an anti Putin message they wouldn't have big Russian flags on their chest. It's a non story that the Russians are laughing at.