Russia invades Ukraine Feb 2022

Started by Main Street, February 12, 2022, 09:38:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikhailov

Quote from: johnnycool on March 07, 2022, 02:50:46 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on March 07, 2022, 02:03:25 PM
Surely the takeover of the main cities (in particular Kiev) would be seen as winning?

The reckoning is it's costing Russia 2 billion USD a day and with the seizing of so many assets etc they will run out of money in that kind of timeframe. (I actually read sooner).

Unfortunately I expect the Russians to have broken them before that  :(

Yeah, but takeover will be much more than raising the Russian flag over the local cityhall and then trotting off back to Russia. It will mean the army being kept in place there at whatever $2B a day and the sanctions won't be lifted either.

IMO he'll claim victory, then negotiate with the Ukrainians to hold some regions to the East and a pathway to Crimea and more access to the Black sea.

Getting a pathway to Crimea is his worst possible outcome - he wants much more - but is struggling to get it. I don't think he will even get a clear pathway to Crimea as Mariupol are putting up a great battle to stay within Ukraine in that region. If putin gets Odessa as well then he may back off after that but highly unlikely.
Hard to imagine that is it highly likely that they are going to run out of funds to continue their war - that is the very last thing Russia would have expected
Serves them right - Ukraine have put up a seriously strong resistance that most people didn't think was even possible so fair f**ks to them.

seafoid

Quote from: Mikhailov on March 07, 2022, 04:26:58 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on March 07, 2022, 02:50:46 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on March 07, 2022, 02:03:25 PM
Surely the takeover of the main cities (in particular Kiev) would be seen as winning?

The reckoning is it's costing Russia 2 billion USD a day and with the seizing of so many assets etc they will run out of money in that kind of timeframe. (I actually read sooner).

Unfortunately I expect the Russians to have broken them before that  :(
He wasn't expecting 20 allies of Ukraine to provide weapons either

Yeah, but takeover will be much more than raising the Russian flag over the local cityhall and then trotting off back to Russia. It will mean the army being kept in place there at whatever $2B a day and the sanctions won't be lifted either.

IMO he'll claim victory, then negotiate with the Ukrainians to hold some regions to the East and a pathway to Crimea and more access to the Black sea.

Getting a pathway to Crimea is his worst possible outcome - he wants much more - but is struggling to get it. I don't think he will even get a clear pathway to Crimea as Mariupol are putting up a great battle to stay within Ukraine in that region. If putin gets Odessa as well then he may back off after that but highly unlikely.
Hard to imagine that is it highly likely that they are going to run out of funds to continue their war - that is the very last thing Russia would have expected
Serves them right - Ukraine have put up a seriously strong resistance that most people didn't think was even possible so fair f**ks to them.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

JPGJOHNNYG

If they can get those Polish MIGs then they may finally sort out that massive sitting duck convoy

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on March 07, 2022, 06:23:41 PM
If they can get those Polish MIGs then they may finally sort out that massive sitting duck convoy

Ah, I dunno if they'll make anything like the impact the Ukranians hope for - I think their impact will be vastly underwhelming compared to their resources consumed. They might think it a morale winner - but when they are mostly smoking holes in the ground within a couple of days - then it may have the opposite effect.

I'd think it more useful if Poland's order for >20 TB2 drones was directed Ukraine's direction instead. Turkey themselves have over 100 and are a NATO member - why are they not being tapped up for sending a rake more over.

Austrian company Schiebel make the Camcopter - perfect for ambushing vehicles in the Ukrainian terrain. Can NATO not gather together a few dozen of these? 'Course they can. The Belgians have them, the French have them, the Italians have them and so do the Yanks.

Even old Predators from the US would do a fine job.

Best of it is, how are the Russians going to know if a Predator is being piloted by a Ukrainian 10 miles away, or a trained operator sitting 400 miles away in Poland taking cues from on ground Ukrainian forces? They (Russians) sure as hell wouldn't have enough proof to push any further.
i usse an speelchekor

Main Street

A man on a holy mission

A truck carrying ecclesiastical supplies was driven through the gates of the Russian embassy in Dublin this afternoon.
https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2022/0307/1284925-embassy/

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Main Street on March 07, 2022, 08:06:04 PM
A man on a holy mission

A truck carrying ecclesiastical supplies was driven through the gates of the Russian embassy in Dublin this afternoon.

A Jihad on the Russians.
i usse an speelchekor

DrinkingHarp

Quote from: Main Street on March 07, 2022, 08:06:04 PM
A man on a holy mission

Just read that story and this sentence stands out from the embassy:

"The incident is cause of extreme concern. We believe that no people of sound mind could support such senseless and barbaric actions," it added.

Mind boggling

Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

Main Street

That embassy statement was cowered with paranoia and mopery, even accused the Gardai of "standing idly by"  ;D
They probably thought that was an original insult, when in fact its usage has already entered into the annals and is frozen in time.

Rossfan

Takes a Laythrum man to put the wind up them Russians :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

johnnycool

Quote from: Rossfan on March 07, 2022, 11:24:26 PM

Is that Altar wine on the side of that lorry?   ;D ;D

WT4E

Has anyone read the Putin has terminal Cancer theory?

thewobbler

Quote from: WT4E on March 08, 2022, 09:15:36 AM

I haven't read it but it makes sense. How many political leaders in history are ingrained in the world's memory who didn't warmonger? Even though he's been running one of the world's superpowers for 20 years, he'd have left this earth without leaving a long lasting footprint... until last week's actions.

Average Score

Quote from: thewobbler on March 08, 2022, 09:32:18 AM
Quote from: WT4E on March 08, 2022, 09:15:36 AM

I haven't read it but it makes sense. How many political leaders in history are ingrained in the world's memory who didn't warmonger? Even though he's been running one of the world's superpowers for 20 years, he'd have left this earth without leaving a long lasting footprint... until last week's actions.

Not sure I follow, I like probably most here have known folk with terminal cancer, or another life ending illness, it seems to change people to be more reflective in my opinion.  The other theory that he's puffed up because of steroid addiction makes more sense, anyone who has been interviewed of late and have met him say he's a totally different person to that a few years back.

Itchy

Quote from: Rossfan on March 07, 2022, 11:24:26 PM

If you've ever driven through Ballinamore of a Sunday after mass you'd know that you have just witnessed normal Leitrim driving. The protest story was just way to spare his blushes

Keyser soze

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on March 07, 2022, 06:23:41 PM

Are you talking MIGs as in the Soviet era planes that Poland had when they were in the Warsaw pact, sometime in the middle of the last century?

I don't think Poland has many of them still flying given that they are now in NATO and have been for 20+ years.