The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sea The Stars

Our Monty is out according to an article on the RP site this afternoon. It's disappointing for Katie Walsh.

Good write-up DH but I'd have to disagree about Peddlers Cross, that was a serious run at Cheltenham to keep up with Hurricane Fly and he clearly wants further. The 2m 4f looks about right for him and and though I think, he has a propensity to save his best for Prestbury Park, he won at Aintree last year. Anything over 2/1 would do nicely for me.

Agree about Big Bucks, we'll never know how good he can be but the approach I would take is to keep backing him until he eventually loses.

Also undecided about Denman, could definitely see him getting turned over but nothing there that would appeal to me. Might be just a race to watch.

Sea The Stars

Quote from: boojangles on March 27, 2011, 12:55:11 AM
Quote from: Sea The Stars on March 26, 2011, 10:41:33 AM
Any thoughts on today's Meydan card - world's richest race meeting featuring the world's richest race!? Or is this an an entirely jumps thread? It's live on TG4 from 1.00 to 6.00!

The Japanese runners, Buena Vista and Victoire Pisa have outstanding chances in the World Cup but have several stats to overcome. Twice Over is a worthy favourite but ran poorly in this race last year - although showed no sign of doing the same when hacking up in the latest round of the Maktoum Challenge - normally an excellent trial. And, a famous moment for Irish racing when Aidan O'Brien saddles Cape Blanco - their first ever in this race. It's a very good race this year, probably not good enough to do justice to it's title, but in previous years, there's been some shocking ones. Anyway I'll go with Victoire Pisa for the win.

The Sheema Classic is as weak a renewal I've ever seen - think Rewilding has a brilliant chance but if looking for an outsider, which I often like to do in these type of races where the standard is well below of what's normally required - look no further than the Hong Kong raider - King Dancer.

The addition of a new turf sprint race has done no good for either itself or it's Tapeta counterpart - the Golden Shaheen. I much preferred when the Al Quoz Sprint was run on Super Thursday but will go for the two favourites in both, JJ the Jet Plane and Rocket Man (outstanding international sprinter and deserves a big one).

Looking forward to the Duty Free most - where I've backed another Singaporean - Better Than Ever. Beaten once in fifteen stars, which came on very ground, and broke the mile track record and the well-renowned Kranji track on his last start. Another who has a chance is Royal Bench who flew home off a slow pace in the Hong Kong Mile in December and with more pace on here, has a chance.

I knew that Sea the Stars has a great knowledge of the Racing scene but I think we may have found our Flat racing equivalent of the one and only Donnellys Hollow. Great stuff Sir, keep it up.
Thought Cape Blanco ran a great race and his lack of race fitness was probably his undoing in the finish.

Might need to predict another hundred or so winners to get earn those type of comparisons. Agree about Cape Blanco - ran well but fitness told in the end. Interesting that APOB talked about Singapore after the race, wonder will they take a kind of globetrotting route with him this year. Other races like the Arlington Million, Canadian International and a few races in France and Germany could be easy pickings and are possibly coming into the equation. The do have So You Think, Fame And Glory, Starspangledbanner, Await the Dawn, Viscount Nelson and Jan Vermeer for the older races plus the 3yos in the latter half of the season.

Donnellys Hollow

I'd oppose Peddlers Cross at the price. He should improve for the trip but he had a hard race at Kelso and then ran a cracker in a gruelling Champion Hurdle. He may have a fantastic constitution but it's a massive ask of a horse to go to the well again and find as much there. He did win at Aintree last year but he was laboured in beating a very moderate horse of Philip Hobbs'. I may be reading the race totally wrong but I reckon there could be a bit of a turn up in it.

The more I look at the 3 mile chase tomorrow, the more I'm considering a decent bet on Carole's Legacy. On ratings, she hasn't a prayer but it's a small field and tactics/pace often play a bigger part at Liverpool than they do at Cheltenham. She's remarkably consistent (albeit at a lower level) and I believe she's in foal to Kayf Tara. Mares in foal often improve out of all recognition - the Collins' Redstone Dancer being a prime example on the flat a few summers ago.

Is Starspangledbanner back in training? I assumed he'd been sent to stud. Good card at Leopardstown on Sunday - interesting to see if Recital takes his chance in the Ballysax. Famous Name also back for another season still in search of that elusive Group 1 - great to see.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Sea The Stars

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on April 06, 2011, 03:32:50 PM
I'd oppose Peddlers Cross at the price. He should improve for the trip but he had a hard race at Kelso and then ran a cracker in a gruelling Champion Hurdle. He may have a fantastic constitution but it's a massive ask of a horse to go to the well again and find as much there. He did win at Aintree last year but he was laboured in beating a very moderate horse of Philip Hobbs'. I may be reading the race totally wrong but I reckon there could be a bit of a turn up in it.

The more I look at the 3 mile chase tomorrow, the more I'm considering a decent bet on Carole's Legacy. On ratings, she hasn't a prayer but it's a small field and tactics/pace often play a bigger part at Liverpool than they do at Cheltenham. She's remarkably consistent (albeit at a lower level) and I believe she's in foal to Kayf Tara. Mares in foal often improve out of all recognition - the Collins' Redstone Dancer being a prime example on the flat a few summers ago.

Is Starspangledbanner back in training? I assumed he'd been sent to stud. Good card at Leopardstown on Sunday - interesting to see if Recital takes his chance in the Ballysax. Famous Name also back for another season still in search of that elusive Group 1 - great to see.

Just checked - he has been retired. Not sure why I thought otherwise, had it in my head all winter that he'd back. Very good sprinter on his day.

bridge fan

just a note on Allure Of Illusion they didn't swerve cheltenham with him he was balloted out of the race and i also see rich ricci is the new owner think they were very confident of a big run if he hada got in

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: bridge fan on April 06, 2011, 08:36:47 PM
just a note on Allure Of Illusion they didn't swerve cheltenham with him he was balloted out of the race and i also see rich ricci is the new owner think they were very confident of a big run if he hada got in

Didn't know that. I don't think Cheltenham would have suited him anyway. Very few Captain Rio's would have the stamina to get up the hill - Jumbo Rio being the prime example.

bcarrier

According to Hendo stable tour on ATR Spirit Son takes on Cue card in 2 m 4 on Saturday. Mossley runs Friday but no Bobs Worth.

beer baron

Russian war e/w and Carlito Brigante without the big 2 tomorrrow!

TacadoirArdMhacha

Big Bucks awesome as per usual. Didn't like the price so backed Carlito e/w. A foolish error - winners are winners even at 8/13. To be retired over hurdles unbeaten?
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Radda bout yeee

Big Bucks never lets ye down!!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D

The Worker

big bucks, was it ever in doubt?

sportsline well backed in today

Radda bout yeee

Quote from: The Worker on April 07, 2011, 02:12:21 PM
big bucks, was it ever in doubt?

sportsline well backed in today

As Ruby says 'he's an aeroplane!'  ;D

Donnellys Hollow

He's a great horse but these staying hurdles are no more than consolation prizes. They're mostly made up of horses who are too slow to be Champion Hurdle horses and don't jump well enough for 3 mile chases.

Couldn't understand how on earth he was 4/6 this morning. He'll never go over a fence again because there's easy pickings in these staying hurdles.

Pat Mustard

Zarkander keeps my treble alive. Think Grandouet would have taken it before the fall. Denmania now!

Hardy

Quote from: Pat Mustard on April 07, 2011, 02:48:58 PM
Zarkander keeps my treble alive. Think Grandouet would have taken it before the fall. Denmania now!

It's worse than ever today. Puke inducing - especially that balding wan.

Sorry - Balding wan.