The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Over The Last

Denman is set to race on following his magnificent performance in defeat in the totesport Cheltenham Gold Cup.

The Paul Nicholls-trained 11-year-old finished a gallant second to young star Long Run, beaten seven lengths.

That achievement was all the more laudable as the ground at Cheltenham was quicker than ideal for the Paul Barber-owned chestnut, who won the Gold Cup in 2008.

Yet despite his advancing years, connections will keep Denman in training for at least another season.

Barber said: "It was wonderful to be part of it, and an honour to see Denman run so well.

"I went down to see him at 6am this morning to give him his Polo mints.

"I couldn't see him on Friday night as I'm afraid we had celebrated a little too much.

"The race was over nine seconds faster than standard so it tells you how quick the ground was, and also how well Denman did.

"He's looking very well, but I'm not going to think about plans for at least a few days.

"The one thing I can say is that he won't be retired.

"All being well, we'll keep him going for another year."

Kauto Decision
Plans are less concrete, however, for two-time Gold Cup winner Kauto Star. The 11-year-old gelding, also trained by Nicholls, atoned for last year's fall in the race when finishing an honourable third under Ruby Walsh.

"It was a fantastic performance and I'm a very proud man," said owner Clive Smith.

"I thought he might even get there coming into the straight, but we came across a very talented horse with younger legs and it was probably too much for him.

"Long Run was the Kauto Star of four years ago, I believe, so very well done to him and his team.

"Paul has texted me to say everything is fine with the horse, so we'll now have to see where we go with him now.

"We said at the Festival we wouldn't make any hasty decisions, so we must sit down and have a discussion as to what we do next."

Donnellys Hollow

There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

winsamsoon

I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

the greatest jockey

flats back tomorrow, fro what i remember from this time last year, dont back anything aidan o'brien trains until around the guineas meetings and look out for tommy stack

Hardy

Quote from: the greatest jockey on March 20, 2011, 12:19:04 AM
flats back tomorrow, fro what i remember from this time last year, dont back anything aidan o'brien trains until around the guineas meetings and look out for tommy stack

18/1 double for Stack today with his only two runners.

Donnellys Hollow

Very satisfactory week! What I learned:

- Hurricane Fly is every bit as good as we always thought he was. Great to see him silence the doubters across the water. Can't wait to see him stuff Binocular at Punchestown.

- Quevega is about two stone superior to any other mare in training.

- First Lieutenant is going to make a hell of a chaser. Oscars Well needs to learn how to settle.

- Quel Esprit could be a Gold Cup horse for next year if he gets his jumping sorted. Mikael D'Haguenet, to my eyes anyway, looks gone at the game.

- Master Minded is/was ridiculously overrated. Similar sentiments apply to Time For Rupert. Andrew Lynch is a very underrated jockey.

- Willie Mullins is a genius. Gordon Elliot is the best young trainer in these islands. Arthur Moore can still pull a rabbit out of a hat.

- The Irish bumper horses that went to Cheltenham are rubbish.

- Big Bucks is a machine. Grands Crus showed that you should ride your race to suit your own horse and not to try and expose weaknesses in another animal. He wouldn't have beaten Big Bucks either way.

- Kauto Star and Denman are still capable of a high level of form. Pandorama definitely needs soft ground. Long Run has a massive engine - 3/1 for next year is laughable though.

- Sir Des Champs was the best handicapped horse in Ireland.

- The Guinness Village at Cheltenham is the best place on earth to celebrate St Patrick's Day.

Only 51 weeks to go.....

Mickey Linden

would just like to say a big thank you to DH! One of my best festivals ever in no small part to ur excellent in depth thoughts and analysis. Your info is honestly top class and I like many others enjoy Reading ur thoughts on this. Keep up the good work

bamboo

Agree 100% with mickey, great stuff DH.

Goes to show that there is an art(kind of) to the whole gambling malarkey. My festival has been a lot more enjoyable and profitable thanks to you. Even had i not placed a bet i still would have been impressed with your workings.

Long may it continue, the very best of luck to you.

wherefromref

DH is the bookies worst nightmare! Keep them thoughs coming for us poor punters to try and earn a few quid...had a great cheltenham with quite a few of your tips DH, although not a big gambler I would definately throw good money on your tips after Cheltenham successes! roll on next march

Hardy

Great stuff, DH. Anybody would pay a lot of good money for four days of entertainment at Cheltenham. To make money at it as well is beautiful.

winsamsoon

Had an absolute stinking cheltenham again. Reason; I didn't follow you DH I even printed your knowledgable words out to take with me to letterkenny for the Paddy's day pints. still got hammered in more ways than one. Think i will quit now
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

Donnellys Hollow

Jaysus lads, any old clown can read a form book. It can easily go the other way entirely like it did for most people last year.

Candyman

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on March 21, 2011, 11:46:29 AM
Jaysus lads, any old clown can read a form book. It can easily go the other way entirely like it did for most people last year.
Aye true enough DH, ye cost me a fortune on Dunguib lastyear ye fecker!! Your a lucky fecker you redeemed yourself this past week...  :D

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Candyman on March 21, 2011, 11:50:48 AM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on March 21, 2011, 11:46:29 AM
Aye true enough DH, ye cost me a fortune on Dunguib lastyear ye fecker!! Your a lucky fecker you redeemed yourself this past week...  :D

I think we can safely lay any Champion Bumper winner that goes for the following year's Supreme Novices from now on until someone emulates Montelado. They're simply not quick enough no matter how 'machine like' they look against moderate opposition over timber. It would have been interesting to see how Cue Card would have got on in the 2m5 race (his dam ran in the English National ffs!).

What price will Cheltenian go off next year?!

bcarrier

Excellent as always DH.

Had my worst betting festival of last seven and looking back not sure how I let it  happen.  Nightmare Tuesday mainly because I didnt lay off IR on betfair. Pity that you cant set off AP bets I/R. Had Spirit Son, Sprinter Sacre , Peddlers Cross all backed at average 25s ( win only) along with Finians at average of 5s ...looking at the IR prices on timeform is a painful thing. Laid the fly  :-[ .  Smaller stakes on Bensalem win and , Tullamore Dew and Sparky May ew brought a bit of relief but it was just one of those days. 

Claimed a bit back on the Russell Double Weds ( but lost out on him as top festival jockey) and backed Big Z each way so no major damage done. Thursday I was just stupid in opposing Big Bucks. Had a bit on Junior and Faasel ( place only) but not a sniff elsewhere. Limited the overall damage on Friday with 3 winners in a Lucky 31 and good single bets on Bobs Worth and Long Run. Sam Winner living up to his name ( Ruby says he will be one to put it up to Long Run in future) would have made for a entirely different conclusion. 

Note to self ...

Keep a bank for day of race IR lays or forget Ante Post betting altogether.
Dont ignore the obvious  - Ruby top jock/Quevega/ Big Bucks maybe even Sizing ( stats pick)
Bet ew.
Paddy Power knows.
Just copy DH  ;)