The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bcarrier

Thats desperate news. RIP Jack.

sammymaguire

Shocking. Only thing you can say is that he went doing what he loved best.

RIP young fella.
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Donnellys Hollow

Tributes are today flooding in for jockey Jack Tyner who died following a fall at Dungarvan point to point last Tuesday.

Tyner, the 19 year old only son of prominent trainer Robert and his wife Mary Tyner, had ridden two racecourse winners (his latest on Jan 26 at Limerick) and had four point to point wins to his name. The teenager had ridden a winner (Exitnell) on the day of the fall.

The teenager had been treated for a serious head injury at Cork University Hospital following the heavy fall from Dusmagic at the first fence in the concluding contest.

Robert Tyner's stable jockey Philip Enright knew Jack better than most and said "I rode out with Jack most mornings and he was always a 'glass is half-full' type of fellow. He never stopped smiling and was a lovely lad.

"People have been very good in recent days. Family friends Joe Fallon and Maurice Kelleher have helped, Mary's sister Catherine has minded the kids while the lads in the yard, who are gutted, have also been great. The last week has been very tough for the Tyners and today is a tragedy."

Photographer Liam Healy Jnr said "Jack was a fierce nice fella and you could take a shine to him straightaway. He was always happy and was a real diamond – it is shocking news."

Jockey Davy Russell said "it is so hard on the family. He's from the hardest working family you ever came across and he was a hard working fellow too and rode out plenty for James Sheehan and Enda Bolger. I only knew Jack really when he was a kid and he was so quiet you had to look around to see if he was there!"

Trainer Enda Bolger stated "Jack worked with me for a six month spell one year (September - April), having earlier been gained experience with Francois Cottin in France. He made some great friends up here in Limerick and shared a house with three or four of the lads here. I have never seen them look so shattered as they are this morning and to be honest it hasn't really kicked in yet."

"Jack had a few spins for me, including at Punchestown, but his career was all ahead of him and things were only getting going for him this season. The last time I properly met him was over Christmas when we had lunch together and had a great old chinwag! He was a grand young fellow and it is such a tragedy."

Amateur rider Gerry Mangan, who rides for Robert Tyner, said "Jack was a smashing young lad and was real happy-go-lucky. I rode a winner for Robert yesterday at Tallow point to point on a horse which, in different circumstances, Jack would have been riding. The whole thing is hard to take-in and it is such a tragedy."

Champion point to point rider Derek O'Connor said "Jack was up and running in his career, having had point to point winners and a recent bumper winner. He had a bright future ahead of him and was a nice, genuine lad who had it all going for him."

Commentator Richard Pugh stated "I am glad to have known Jack who was a thoroughly genuine young man, instantly likeable and above all he was infectiously enthusiastic about point to pointing. His race riding meant the world to him and he was clearly enjoying the success he was having in recent weeks.

"His loss is a tragic blow to the entire Point to Pointing community especially given his young age. It is an overused expression that somebody dies doing what they loved. In the case of Jack Tyner however it would be wrong not to point out exactly how much he was enjoying himself in the last few weeks and in particular at Dungarvan last Tuesday where he had seen his father Robert train a treble and he himself had steered home the last leg of that treble. Jack was now becoming part of the team in a race riding sense and this was something he was enjoying very much. We must take comfort from knowing that he was enjoying what he was doing and the success it was bringing before his tragic accident."

Jack Tyner is the first rider to suffer fatal injuries in a point to point fall since Dary Cullen passed away following a fall at Wexford point to point in 2006.

http://www.irishracing.com/v5newsitem?prid=50962

It must be very hard for the families of Kieran Kelly, Seán Clery and Dary Cullen to wake up to this news this morning. I'm sure it brings back some painful memories for them. I was reading Patrick Mullins' piece in the Independent last week and he was saying how it's almost a year since Ronan Lawlor was killed on the gallops. Very sad.

It really does show the balls these lads have to ride over obstacles day in, day out. There were a few who were uncomfortable with Michael Hourigan's comments after he lost Dorans Pride at Cheltenham but he was spot on. He'd happily lose every horse in his yard if it meant Shane Broderick could walk again. Human life is far too precious.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Donnellys Hollow

Fiveforthree entered in the Boyne Hurdle at Navan on Sunday. Could be worth a small investment for the Stayers at Cheltenham if declared on Friday with a view to trading out at a shorter price post race?

I'm looking forward to seeing this So Young at Punchestown tomorrow. If he's anything near the forecast 4/7 (irishracing.com) I'll be having a sizeable chunk of my Cheltenham bank on him!

Hardy

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on February 08, 2011, 06:57:25 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing this So Young at Punchestown tomorrow. If he's anything near the forecast 4/7 (irishracing.com) I'll be having a sizeable chunk of my Cheltenham bank on him!

Which one do you think he'll go for at Cheltenham, DH?

Donnellys Hollow

I'd say he'll go for the 2m5. It's ridiculous the strength in depth Mullins has in the novices compared to the other Irish yards. Always dangerous second guessing trainers at this time of year but I'll give it a go!

2m
Zaidpour
Day Of A Lifetime

2m5
So Young
Gagewell Flyer
Earlson Grey

3m
Bishopsfurze
Ballyhaunis
Skorcher
Aughaloor

Sir Des Champs doesn't even hold a Cheltenham entry

Oak Leafer

Price on So young not too attractive DH! 1/4 on with WH at min....

Got each way mark for Sharekan 3.45 P town......currently 16/1

Any other fancies today fellas?

Donnellys Hollow

He was 1/2 for a few bob on the machine last night.

Fascinating 4yo bumper at Thurles tomorrow. Tommy Stack has a Pivitol gelding out of Kitza (second in Irish 1,000g and Oaks) and O'Grady has a half-brother to Catch Me entered.

Joxer

Quote from: Oak Leafer on February 09, 2011, 12:08:42 PM
Price on So young not too attractive DH! 1/4 on with WH at min....

Got each way mark for Sharekan 3.45 P town......currently 16/1
Any other fancies today fellas?

Into 12's with PP

Joxer

What about Hampshire Express today DH?

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Joxer on February 09, 2011, 12:19:24 PM
What about Hampshire Express today DH?

Would prefer Bob Lingo on form but I wouldn't be keen on taking on WPM given how his string are going - watching brief for me. Fancied Tolfino Bay for the maiden hurdle but he's no value at the price. I thought he'd be 2 or 3/1 given that he's up against a Mullins bumper winner.

Nina should have a first and last race double.

Joxer

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on February 09, 2011, 12:14:00 PM
He was 1/2 for a few bob on the machine last night.

Fascinating 4yo bumper at Thurles tomorrow. Tommy Stack has a Pivitol gelding out of Kitza (second in Irish 1,000g and Oaks) and O'Grady has a half-brother to Catch Me entered.

1/2 Looks easy money after the way yon ran!

1-6 winner.  Canter in the end!

Donnellys Hollow

Impressive today beating trees but I wouldn't be too keen on the 8/1 for Cheltenham. I doubt Willie thinks he's in the same league as Zaidpour and First Lieutenant has already beaten that particular horse.

8/1 So Young v 14/1 First Lieutenant? I know which price I'd prefer to be taking.

bigfrank

Always read this thread but never put up any of my great tips  :P

4.40 Huntingdon - PERSIAN FOREST (NAP)

4.45 Thurles - CASH AND GO (NB)

2 x singles and a double for me  ;)

Massey-135

Lads, I do a bit of work for a wee monthly newspaper in Strabane and I'm going to do a piece on Cheltenham. I was wondering do any of yous know of any local connection to any horses/trainers/jockeys going over to this year's festival, or would yous even know how/where I could find that sort of information out. Wouldn't know much about horse racing myself. By local I mean anywhere in the north-west really. The trainer Mervyn Torrens would be fairly local to us but I can't track down a number for him anywhere.

If any of yous could help with any of that or point me in the right direction it'd be much appreciated.