The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bridge fan

sad to see Fionnegas put down broke a shoulder
fairyhouse looking good for the weekend a lot of good horses entered

Donnellys Hollow

Cracking weekend in store. Hopefully Newbury and Newcastle won't be frozen off on Saturday.

A drop of rain would be perfect for Pandorama.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on November 23, 2010, 08:29:22 PM
Cracking weekend in store. Hopefully Newbury and Newcastle won't be frozen off on Saturday.

A drop of rain would be perfect for Pandorama.

Heading over to United which kicks off 5 minutes before the Hennessy starts so I'd be happy enough to see it all refixed.

Carruthers was placed in the Gold Cup at Cheltenham and runs off bottom weight. Surely a decent each way shout at 14/1?
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

the greatest jockey

i think pandorama and neptune collonges are both decent bets

beer baron

Lord redsgirth e/w in 12.25 at naas

Donnellys Hollow

For me, the Hennessy revolves around which second season chaser has the most improvement in them. I think Pandorama still could be well in despite being a few lbs out of the handicap - China Rock who he beat last year off level weights is in the handicap proper. I'll be having a decent e/w punt on Pandorama and a small saver on Weird Al. I can't have Denman at all but he did prove me wrong last year.

Good to see Finians Rainbow out at Newbury tomorrow. I've yet to see a potential Arkle winning horse this season and I think this horse might be the one.

Hardy

I can't oppose Denman. I did it last year and regretted it. Not sure if I'll back him yet, but will probably succumb to temptation. I don't like Pandorama being out of the handicap and I don't like his jumping in a test like this. If he decides to run down his fences he'll lose a good 30 lengths over course of the race.

Donnellys Hollow

I'm not sure Pandorama's fencing will be that much of an issue going left-handed. He nearly ended up on Naas main street when he won his beginners at Punchestown but next time out at Fairyhouse he only jumped left at the final two fences. He jumped straight as a gun barrel to my eyes when he went left-handed  for the first time (over fences) at Leopardstown.

Being out of the handicap wouldn't really bother me. He's essentially going to be running off 154 which is a very fair (and hopefully lenient!) mark. On a line through Weapons Amnesty he's better than the likes of Burton Port and Diamond Harry yet the handicapper disagrees. My only concern is Carberry's availability (not down to ride at Thurles tomorrow). Condon is an able deputy and I think he's able to do 10 stone but I'd prefer if Carberry was on board.

I'd be amazed if Denman can win this off a mark of 182. I can't believe for a second he ran to that mark at Cheltenham. He's going to be off a mark 8lbs higer than last year - this is a better renewal on paper and he won't have Walsh in the saddle this time which was probably worth about 4 or 5lbs to him. He's only won 1 race out of 7 since winning the Gold Cup and looked like he has his own ideas about the game now at both Newbury in February and Punchestown in April. If there's a Long Run-esque big Saturday gamble on him I might be tempted to lay him.

Joxer

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on November 24, 2010, 03:07:34 PM
I'm not sure Pandorama's fencing will be that much of an issue going left-handed. He nearly ended up on Naas main street when he won his beginners at Punchestown but next time out at Fairyhouse he only jumped left at the final two fences. He jumped straight as a gun barrel to my eyes when he went left-handed  for the first time (over fences) at Leopardstown.

Being out of the handicap wouldn't really bother me. He's essentially going to be running off 154 which is a very fair (and hopefully lenient!) mark. On a line through Weapons Amnesty he's better than the likes of Burton Port and Diamond Harry yet the handicapper disagrees. My only concern is Carberry's availability (not down to ride at Thurles tomorrow). Condon is an able deputy and I think he's able to do 10 stone but I'd prefer if Carberry was on board.

I'd be amazed if Denman can win this off a mark of 182. I can't believe for a second he ran to that mark at Cheltenham. He's going to be off a mark 8lbs higer than last year - this is a better renewal on paper and he won't have Walsh in the saddle this time which was probably worth about 4 or 5lbs to him. He's only won 1 race out of 7 since winning the Gold Cup and looked like he has his own ideas about the game now at both Newbury in February and Punchestown in April. If there's a Long Run-esque big Saturday gamble on him I might be tempted to lay him.

I don't see how that logic can really be faulted. Effectively Denman's supporters are asking us to believe that a horse who has won a race once in the past 2 season can beat a handful of very decent chasers including a horse who finished 4th in the Gold Cup whilst giving each of them a 2 stone weight advantage.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

bcarrier

China Rock declared for Hennessy . 999/1 a few hours ago .

RealSpiritof98

lot of short priced favs today, im gonna make a fortune 8) 8) 8) 8) :-[

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Joxer on November 25, 2010, 11:07:59 AM
Any fancies today DH?

Not today. That Thurles card is pure muck.

I've had a small investment on Finians Rainbow for the Arkle so I'm looking forward to seeing him run. Hopefully I'll have the option of trading out at a shorter price post-race.

I see the RTÉ website has a stream of the Newbury card today. I don't think they're showing Fairyhouse on Sunday though which is ridiculous.

RealSpiritof98

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on November 25, 2010, 12:48:24 PM
Quote from: Joxer on November 25, 2010, 11:07:59 AM
Any fancies today DH?

Not today. That Thurles card is pure muck.

I've had a small investment on Finians Rainbow for the Arkle so I'm looking forward to seeing him run. Hopefully I'll have the option of trading out at a shorter price post-race.

I see the RTÉ website has a stream of the Newbury card today. I don't think they're showing Fairyhouse on Sunday though which is ridiculous.

not for us brits, pity. i have ATR.

todays donkeys: Minnie Hill, bellflower boy, silent joe, abbondanza.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on November 25, 2010, 12:48:24 PM

Delighted with that performance. Should be favourite for the Arkle now.

Ground looks like it's riding fairly quick though which is bad news for Pandorama.