The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: beer baron on November 03, 2010, 12:20:07 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on November 02, 2010, 08:46:33 PM
That Haldon Gold Cup was an interesting race today. Nicholls' string look to be fairly forward and I'm sure Ruby was relieved he picked the right one. That Twist Magic is a quare old horse - Fehily got a right tune out of him though. Somersby was outpaced after four out yet he's going for the Tingle Creek now? I think Knight described him as "a stayer with gears", well step him up in trip then ffs! My selection, Cornas, never got a blow in for whatever reason.

First Lieutenant runs again tomorrow in the 2m4 novice hurdle at Fairyhouse. He'll appreciate the ease in the ground and hopefully he'll win well if he's the potential superstar I think he is.

Is 10/11 a reasonable price for First lieutenant Dh?In 2 minds whether to back it or not! :-\

I was trying to price the race up myself last night and I had him at 11/8 but that was before Brog An Ri came out so I suppose 10/11 is probably about right. Sizing Mexico is the danger and could be anything - interesting they run him here rather than in a soft maiden somewhere so they must think he's quite useful. I'd be very disappointed if anything else in the race was good enough to beat First Lieutenant. There may be better prices about him before the off because he sweated in the parade ring at Punchestown (didn't stop him winning) and may do so again. I'll probably back First Lieutenant with a small e/w saver on Sizing Mexico.

De Bromhead's horse in the first is another one I'm considering today.

There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Candyman

Got him at Evs this morning...
What sort of Price is Mexico DH?

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Candyman on November 03, 2010, 12:30:53 PM
Got him at Evs this morning...
What sort of Price is Mexico DH?

6/1 with Stan James is the best price at the moment - generally 4s with most firms.

FL is still evs with Hills.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: the greatest jockey on November 03, 2010, 01:38:10 AM
im up in belfast too aramgh tacadoir, what are the arrangements to get to the maze on friday

Bot doing a deal whereby for £25 you get a fry in the Bot, travel to and from Down Royal, admission to the racecourse and entry to the Bot marquee*.

*For marquee, please read tent with alcohol.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Joxer

De Bromhead's horse in the first is another one I'm considering today.
[/quote]

Quality call again DH.  Sauntered home without Lynch even touching it.  One to look out for maybe! 

Ruby and Nicholls at it again in Chepstow in the first. 

Nice wee double

boojangles

First Lieutenant bet. Never seemed to be travelling comfortably and Russell seemed to let him lose his place in the last mile.
He had won on the ground before so that can't really be an excuse.

Donnellys Hollow

Very disappointing effort. Should be winning that handily if he's anywhere near as good as his reputation suggested. It wouldn't surprise me if they went chasing now because I don't think there's much point keeping him over timber.

Thankfully HdeB's got the job done in the first or I'd be having a few quiet weeks.

sammymaguire

3:10 Warwick Hear My Song @ 6/4 
3:20 Chepstow Pavillon Bleu @ 10/3

cheeky double coming up me thinks...  ???  :-\
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: boojangles on November 03, 2010, 02:08:21 PM
First Lieutenant bet. Never seemed to be travelling comfortably and Russell seemed to let him lose his place in the last mile.

From irishracing.com: Odds-on shot First Lieutenant's ride from Davy Russell was always going to attract attention, having stayed on for a never dangerous third, but Russell subsequently confirmed the suspicion that his mount hated today's ground.

He later reported to the Stewards that First Lieutenant "stumbled on the far side, lost his place and was hating the ground thereafter." Closer inspection of First Lieutenant's run confirms Russell's report that his mount did stumble on the back straight.

???

boojangles

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on November 03, 2010, 03:17:39 PM

From irishracing.com: Odds-on shot First Lieutenant's ride from Davy Russell was always going to attract attention, having stayed on for a never dangerous third, but Russell subsequently confirmed the suspicion that his mount hated today's ground.

He later reported to the Stewards that First Lieutenant "stumbled on the far side, lost his place and was hating the ground thereafter." Closer inspection of First Lieutenant's run confirms Russell's report that his mount did stumble on the back straight.

???

DH I have never sat on a horse so I would never slate a jockey for a ride but from looking at that ride today I would not have been too happy with it if I was Mouse Morris. As a man who knows a thing or 2, what was your opinion of Russells ride?

I am right in saying that he won his first race on Soft ground? The RacingPost had it as Soft to Yielding today although I read there on the Irish racing site that is was Soft to Heavy.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: boojangles on November 03, 2010, 05:30:14 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on November 03, 2010, 03:17:39 PM

???

DH I have never sat on a horse so I would never slate a jockey for a ride but from looking at that ride today I would not have been too happy with it if I was Mouse Morris. As a man who knows a thing or 2, what was your opinion of Russells ride?

I am right in saying that he won his first race on Soft ground? The RacingPost had it as Soft to Yielding today although I read there on the Irish racing site that is was Soft to Heavy.

I reckon Fairyhouse just made a complete balls of the ground. Incredible number of horses today were stumbling and losing their action which suggests there were plenty of false patches - not good enough from Fairyhouse.

FL is by Presenting out of a Fourstars Allstar mare so he shouldn't be too inconvenienced by cut in the ground. It's tempting to write off that run due to subsequent events but in truth he's probably just not as good as his p2p reputation (and price-tag!) suggested. He may have injured himself when stumbling so you just don't know.

Joxer

Any fancies today DH?

Good enough card in Thurles.

The Jockeys championship for the Flat is becoming a real ding dong affair.  Making good viewing. 

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: Joxer on November 04, 2010, 11:36:14 AM
Any fancies today DH?

The Jockeys championship for the Flat is becoming a real ding dong affair.  Making good viewing.

Art Music in the bumper.

Doogie Browser

Quote from: Joxer on November 04, 2010, 11:36:14 AM
Any fancies today DH?

Definitely lifting the profile of racing recently, Hughes was grounded yesterday due to bad weather and missed his evening rides and Hanagan failed to capitalise.

beer baron

Jockeys championship really has livened things up!Hughes gave some beautiful rides this past week,one on tuesday in particular was brilliant!
Both seem like decent family men and Hughes has had to overcome some demons, and wouldn't mind them being joint top,though it kind of defeats the purpose,corrrect me if im wrong but think it happened 4 or 5 years back with Seb Sanders and Jamie spencer sharing it!?