The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnellys Hollow

I'm taking the odds-on about Hidden Universe in the 2 mile maiden at Navan today. He'd have slaughtered most of this lot in bumpers and I think he should be several points shorter than he is at 8/11.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

lolafrola

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on October 06, 2010, 02:03:51 PM
I'm taking the odds-on about Hidden Universe in the 2 mile maiden at Navan today. He'd have slaughtered most of this lot in bumpers and I think he should be several points shorter than he is at 8/11.

hope you didn't put too much on that mule sir
Be nice to the people you meet on the way up, because you may meet them on the way back down.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: lolafrola on October 06, 2010, 04:49:36 PM

The next Rite Of Passage he ain't. Pat never happy with him.

Plenty of opportunities to get it back at the weekend. Decent entries for the two jumps cards and St Nicholas Abbey returning at the Curragh.

Oak Leafer

3.20 Tramore...Model County Lass expected to do the business....11/8 at present wit PP

bridge fan

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on October 06, 2010, 11:44:07 PM
Quote from: lolafrola on October 06, 2010, 04:49:36 PM

The next Rite Of Passage he ain't. Pat never happy with him.

Plenty of opportunities to get it back at the weekend. Decent entries for the two jumps cards and St Nicholas Abbey returning at the Curragh.

backed it myself
Pandorama is entered next thursday in punchestown also entered in same race is sizing europe

Family guy

Fancy cornas to win the day????

Donnellys Hollow

Did it nicely.

Backed him heavily last year in the same race when he tipped up down the back straight.  :(

Family guy

Yeah won well,as did cappagh who run a massive race and looks a great horse

Donnellys Hollow

The NH season steps up a gear tomorrow with the first card of the season at Punchestown.

My horse to follow this year - First Lieutenant, has his second start over hurdles. I was a tad disappointed with him at Navan but looking back on it, it wasn't the worst run. He clearly needed it going on the lack of confidence in the market and he was moving menacingly when he got the second last all wrong and was allowed come home in his own time by Andy Mac. The winner of that race has come out since and ran well in a decent novice at Tipperary. The extra half mile tomorrow will suit and I can see him being punted tomorrow morning and going off a well backed favourite. I'll be on and I hope he lives up to my expectations because he could be a seriously good prospect.

Colm Murphy's mare looks to have a relatively straightforward task but she will probably need the run. She did win the same race last year though.

Muirhead is a classy recruit to chasing in the last. I love punting the good hurdlers first time out over fences because I feel there's often great value in them. Muirhead is a bit of a rogue - hasn't won since the Royal Bond in 2007, but he's stones clear of this lot on hurdle ratings. If he jumps a clear round he should win head in his chest. He's 4/9 on the racingpost tissue but I think he should be much shorter. Not everyone's idea of a bet so might be worth doubling up with Voler La Vedette or even put in a trixie with First Lieutenant.

bridge fan

will be backing : FIRST LIEUTENANT  myself and depending on how short muirhead will be il have to wait and see dont think there is anything in the race to beat him

bcarrier

good card.  a bit early to be backing c murphy's for me...meades look in good order so muirhead might be my only one 2mrw. not at 1.33 though. 

bridge fan

Voler La Vedette has won 1st race back the past 2 seasons

bcarrier

Quote from: bridge fan on October 12, 2010, 11:39:57 PM
Voler La Vedette has won 1st race back the past 2 seasons

I know. Murphys strike rate at Punchestown in October is 7%. In April it is 16%.

Current odds a bit more than I expected though.

Donnellys Hollow

Spineless prices about First Lieutenant  ::)

Surely the boys in the ring will lay it a bit bigger?

VLV looks tempting at the price. Most of the average size NH yards like Murphy's will be only getting going now. He's only had 3 runners in the last fortnight with one of them 2nd beaten a neck in a maiden hurdle at Tramore on 7 October. His last winner was on the flat at Fairyhouse in September. If she's anyway fit she should have a good few lbs to spare over handicappers (albeit decent ones) in Elyaadi and Willie McCreery's mare, but I'll be waiting to see how she fares in the market on course before considering a bet.

Some decent action tomorrow too with Luska Lad, Loosen My Load and Sizing Europe all running. It's a pity that Realt Dubh and Pandorama won't be taking on the De Bromhead pair though.

Donnellys Hollow

Happy enough with First Lieutenant. He's still a bit babyish and that ground was probably lively enough for him. I think he'll be a horse for something like the Barry and Sandra Kelly race at Navan where he could meet The Real Article. First Lieutenant is going to make a hell of a chaser next year.

Voler La Vedette did it nicely. I still can't see her beating Quevega though so it wouldn't surprise me if she was tried in one of the 2 mile Grade 1s given that it's likely to be her last year in training.

Muirhead was Muirhead - a typical Meade rogue. I don't think he was ever really in danger of getting beaten and he'll run better in a better race when they go a proper pace. I'd send him to England for his next few runs where he's likely to get a truer run race.

Some very interesting stats from Hugh Taylor on ATR re odds-on favs in beginners' chases this morning.