The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beer baron

Lecale2

Good man. 11/2 winner is nice.

bridge fan

Alburj in the 9-00 fairyhouse is meant to be 1 off welds better 3yo hasn't shown it so far i lost a few quid on it the last day at leop and going 2 give it another go tonight

Louth Exile

Quote from: Catch the high ball on June 02, 2010, 03:28:07 PM
Barney Curley truly is a great guy, I hope he publishes another book before he retires.

I thought the autobiography was pretty standard sports bio, but the chapter on Yellow Sam and the detail of the whole coup is definitely worth reading
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

sammymaguire

Quote from: bridge fan on June 02, 2010, 06:33:08 PM
Alburj in the 9-00 fairyhouse is meant to be 1 off welds better 3yo hasn't shown it so far i lost a few quid on it the last day at leop and going 2 give it another go tonight

unlucky beaten by a good 'un
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Donnellys Hollow

Check out the gamble going on Mike O'Hare's horses at Wetherby tonight. All five horses to be ridden by Andy Lynch. Barney Curleyesque?
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Homer

PP and some other bookmakers are only offering SP on the five races... Running scared?

Candyman

Most Bookmakers in town here (Armagh) are only offering SP's also...

Catch the high ball

Sammy Pat @ 13/8 
Vincent Pipe @ 7/4   
Turner Brown @ 7/4   
Bale O'shea @ 13/8   
Willie Martin @ 15/8
£5 win Accumulator for interest
This really would be the mother of all coups!
Got the prices in William Hill.
GAA Board World Cup Sweepstake Winner 2010

bamboo

Cheers DH,

Had a wee tipple myself, they've been backed from 16's and 14's into what you see above. I got 3/1 x3, 11/4 and 5/2 earlier so fingers crossed.

Anyone have that link for watching the races that was floating about around cheltenham time? It's on RUK and i only have ATR in the house

Catch the high ball

A HUGE gamble on five Irish raiders, all trained by Michael O'Hare and ridden by Andrew Lynch, is under way on Wetherby's race card this evening, forcing some bookmakers to stop taking bets on the runners.

The gamble is reminiscent of the recent Barney Curley-inspired coup that left bookmakers reeling and £2 million out of pocket.

O'Hare's father, gambler Barney O'Hare who owns Bar One Racing bookmakers, has successfully pulled off a significant coup before, at Naas on October 31.

Michael O'Hare trained three winners from as many runners that day, collecting a reported €2 million in the process when he had a permit to train just four horses. O'Hare now has a permit to train six horses.

Speaking to racingpost.com on Thursday, Barney O'Hare, who is at Wetherby, said: "Michael actually didthe trainers' course the other week, but he hasn't done the interview yet so he's still restricted to six horses.

"I hold the assistant trainers' licence with him and I adore helping him out. I actually drove the lorry over yesterday while he flew over this morning with Andrew Lynch.

"We're hoping things go well tonight. This meeting at Wetherby really fitted into the plan Michael had for the horses and they've been aimed at it.

"They all want goodish ground and when we walked the track this morning it was lovely. Hopefully they'll put in a big show, it's a beautiful night for it."

However, he added: "The one worry is the travelling as we left at two 'o' clock yesterday afternoon and didn't get here until 11.30 the same evening."

Ladbrokes spokeswoman Hayley O'Connor said: "We have certainly seen some bets that have attracted out attention and we are focused on them."

William Hill director of racing and PR David Hood said: "Our boys have traded them with caution and we were on the right side of them but as the prices have collapsed we've seen small business for them."

Paddy Power: stopped taking be

PICTURE: Racing Post Pix
Paddy Power of Paddy Power, who were the first to stop taking bets on the five, said: "We took half a million euros worth of liabilities, all in multiples, then raised the white flag. We're relieved we took evasive action when we did,but we're still going to do our brains if more than two or three come in."

Nicola McGeady of Boylesports, also SP only now, said: "We have taken plenty of multiples and in view of their source we took action quickly so asnot to build up large liabilities."

Among the runners for O'Hare at Wetherby is Bale O'Shea, who sports the colours of Barney's wife Tracey, as do the rest of the runners.

Bale O'Shea was part of the successful gamble in October but was also responsible for downing an attempted gamble in April 2009 when he could only finish second at Kelso after Montana Slim, the other horse in the double, had bolted up at the Punchestown festival.

The five runners are:

6.00 (3) Sammy Pat, 3-1 (from 25)

7.05 (5) Willie Martin, 4-1 (from 16)

7.35 (11) Vincent Pipe, 9-4 (from 10)

8.10 (1) Turner Brown, 9-4 (from 11)

8.45 (11) Bale O'Shea, 2-1 (from 8)

Homer

I think it's worth taking them on at this stage myself

Quote from: bamboo on June 03, 2010, 05:02:54 PM
Anyone have that link for watching the races that was floating about around cheltenham time? It's on RUK and i only have ATR in the house

That link was dead last time I checked.

Catch the high ball

William Hill maximum stake on any of these horses is just £1 now!

Catch the high ball

AFTER an afternoon of intrigue the Wetherby gamble on the five Michael O'Hare-trained Irish raiders fell apart on Thursday as the first three runners were all well beaten.

Vincent Pipe became the third loser when managing only third in the 2m6f handicap hurdle, but he at least fared better than his stablemates Sammy Pat and Willie Martin, both of whom finished last in their races.

Vincent Pipe drifted out to 5-1 having been cut to 6-4 (from 10-1) earlier in the day following similar drifts for Willie Martin (4-1 out to 11-1) and Sammy Pat (3-1 out to 4-1) as confidence in the gamble evaporated.

Sammy Pat's price had collapsed to 3-1 from 25-1 and Willie Martin's to 4-1 from 16-1 during the afternoon, as bookmakers ran for cover following significant support in multiple bets for the five O'Hare runners. Some firms refused to take further bets on the Irish raiders.
"It's been a bit of fun, and we thought most of them would run well, but the bookmakers certainly overreacted. They haven't forgotten us from last time - or the other Barney a three weeks ago!"

The remaining runner is Bale O'Shea (2-1 from 8 in the 8.45).

O'Hare's father, gambler Barney O'Hare who owns Bar One Racing bookmakers, successfully pulled off a significant coup at Naas on October 31.

Speaking after the first three losers he said the bookmakers had "overreacted" to a number of Lucky 15 bets he had placed.

Barney O'Hare told racingpost.com: "It was a massive overreaction on the part of the bookmakers, but we caught them in late October with a good one and they haven't forgotten.

"We had €1 each-way Lucky 15, quite a few of them, with some of the big firms, and the prices just collapsed. We've planned it for months, and admittedly some of the horses have been a bit disappointing.

"We scoped Sammy Pat after the first and he had mucus on his lungs, so that explains his poor run, but Willie Martin ran all right, he was up against some decent horses, and ran well enough.

"Vincent Pipe has been very difficult to train, he keeps going lame, so he did well enough to finish third.

"The one I really like is Bale O'Shea in the handicap chase, though its a stiff ask in a handicap first time over fences.

At least he got the last one right!

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Catch the high ball on June 03, 2010, 08:59:31 PM
"We had €1 each-way Lucky 15, quite a few of them, with some of the big firms, and the prices just collapsed. We've planned it for months, and admittedly some of the horses have been a bit disappointing.

:D

€1 e/w lucy 15............ Yeah right!!  :D

All over Fame And Glory later today. Can't see him beaten in the Coronation Cup. Sariska is a very useful mare but I doubt she'd have got within an asses roar of Sea The Stars last year like F&G did.

The Oaks looks a bit of a minefield. I was impressed with Bolger's filly at Naas though. A lot of people will be put off by the blinds and her running style. If she's in front rounding Tattenham corner she'll take some passing up that straight. She's by Hernando out of a Darshaan mare so 12F should be right up her street - good e/w value.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?