The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

Scrub that, read something that cleared it up for me. Apologies & thanks for the education!

Lecale2

Donnellys Hollow

What about the Fly today lads? He's an incredible little horse.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Hardy

It makes for a fascinating Champion Hurdle. For me it's between Hurricane Fly and Our Conor. Forget the English. The thing is that Fly has that extra dimension to his make-up that's beyond talent - he refuses to let other horses go past him. Hardy Eustace was the greatest example of it I can think of, but Hardy didn't have the Fly's raw ability. Combine the two and Fly is entitled to be a short-odds favourite for Cheltenham even if Our Conor may improve more in the meantime than he does and even given Our Conor's proven ability to perform at Cheltenham. When it comes to the battle up the hill, it'd be hard to oppose Fly

bannside

Dessie Hughes will know that no matter what, Our Conor  cant outsprint the Hurricane once they go over the last. Not this year anyway. Ruby made 1 and a half lengths in a matter of strides, and won going away.

Not to take anything away from the youngster, his day will come. Fives or sixes  for the champion - must be the banker of the festival each way for serious punters at evens or 5/4 a place.

If you were riding Our Conor what tactics would you use to head the Fly at line in Cheltenham?

Lecale2

I still think Our Conor has every chance. The Fly may not travel well.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Hardy on January 27, 2014, 01:06:51 AM
It makes for a fascinating Champion Hurdle. For me it's between Hurricane Fly and Our Conor. Forget the English. The thing is that Fly has that extra dimension to his make-up that's beyond talent - he refuses to let other horses go past him. Hardy Eustace was the greatest example of it I can think of, but Hardy didn't have the Fly's raw ability. Combine the two and Fly is entitled to be a short-odds favourite for Cheltenham even if Our Conor may improve more in the meantime than he does and even given Our Conor's proven ability to perform at Cheltenham. When it comes to the battle up the hill, it'd be hard to oppose Fly

I'd agree with all of that. HF is simply an amazing hurdler. For a 10yo Montjeu to still be producing top class displays in every single Grade 1 is just incredible. He was Group class on the flat over seven years ago against class colts like Lawman and Literato. Most of the flat recruits to jumping last a few years before falling out of love with the game. A lot of them will win a few mickey mouse contests before their jumping falls apart in a proper race. John Ferguson's horses are proof positive of that. HF has just got better and better. He's electric over his obstacles, has plenty of gears and can tough it out against the best of them. Special horse.

The big negative about Our Conor is inexperience. Both horse and rider are not as battle hardened as their opponents. It's very difficult for a 5yo against these seasoned horses. Katchit is the only one to manage it in yonks and that was one of the worst Champion Hurdles I've ever seen. He didn't win a single race afterwards. Danny Mullins hasn't done anything wrong on Our Conor yet but hacking around Leopardstown and sprinting from the second last is a world away from how the race will be ran at Cheltenham. An experienced head who won't panic at the crucial stage is worth half a stone in these races - I don't think there's any of the top lads who would have kicked for home when Sam Twiston Davies did on Saturday for example. If I was Danny I would ride him handy like Cooper did in the Triumph last year and put his excellent jumping to good use. He will get a nice tow into the race from The New One who will probably lead (can see them waiting for Punchestown with Un De Sceaux) and should be looking to take it up after turning in.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

beer baron

Ya just gotta  love him  :D I went down yesterday and got talking to someone pretty well involved in Harringtons yard and talk was today was the day if Jezki was ever going to beat Hurricane Fly so it looks as he's just not good enough although he's surely not poor enough to get beat behind captain cee bee.Our Conor ran a cracker and had me panicking for a bit. Love this Picture i came across on the RTE player,if ever a picture showed a horse wanting to win this is it

As for Sam on Big Bucks i think he was told to do what he did,either that or he made a pretty big mistake and i rate him too highly to think he rid up with the pace and set off that early  off his own accord.

Under Lights

Have a stag do on Saturday. We are heading to Fairy House. First time ever at the races. Everyone says its a good day out. Wouldn't know much about betting or horses so anyone any tips for Saturday? Will it go ahead with the weather?

Sea The Stars

Hurricane Fly is an amazing horse alright but not so amazing that he's a cert to win the Champion Hurdle. Personally I would prefer to have the two English horses on my side rather than HF and OC. That's not an attack on a great horse - I would see it as leaving sentiment aside the stronger form is in England this year that's the way I see it. I don't agree that OC can't beat HF in a finish up the hill either (should it come to it) - the two Champion Hurdles he's won he's done the damage between the bend and the last. I think last year he probably slowed a bit close to the line.

Cheltenham has never been Hurricane Fly's course either in the sense that his wins at Leopardstown and Punchestown have been a lot smoother - at Cheltenham there's been element of him looking a little more labored in winning. I think that might be a problem this year because he's 10 now and no longer improving and facing probably the best CH field that he's ever faced. He was clearly struggling down the back straight last year with something too - be it the undulations, the pace or he was too switched off. I would be worried that might happen again as it happened the previous year too. That said I would be a big Fly fan and think it would be a remarkable feat to win such a hot race at the age of 10 for the third time.

The Champion Hurdle is definitely the race of this year's Festival and if Un De Sceaux and Annie Power turn up (I suspect at least one will), it will make it an even greater spectacle.

bridge fan

Quote from: Under Lights on January 29, 2014, 09:47:12 PM
Have a stag do on Saturday. We are heading to Fairy House. First time ever at the races. Everyone says its a good day out. Wouldn't know much about betting or horses so anyone any tips for Saturday? Will it go ahead with the weather?
[/
Suntiep in the 3-05

beer baron

Elliott sends 1 gigginstown horse to musselburgh today for the juvenile hurdle,the horse is clarcam and he appears to have a mind of his own at times but at 15/2 im going to chance a few Bob ew,hopefully hes not just out for a spin as a prep for the Fred winter

bridge fan

Quote from: beer baron on February 02, 2014, 01:17:58 PM
Elliott sends 1 gigginstown horse to musselburgh today for the juvenile hurdle,the horse is clarcam and he appears to have a mind of his own at times but at 15/2 im going to chance a few Bob ew,hopefully hes not just out for a spin as a prep for the Fred winter

And won race befor  with carlito brigantie
Chancol in the 1st @ punchestown and arvicka in the tied cottage double

The Worker

beer baron

Quote from: The Worker on February 09, 2014, 10:20:38 AM
Any gold cup fancys today?

Last Instalment had a very satisfactory comeback run over an inadequate trip last time and i'd fancy him today,First Lieutenant is arguably better on better ground and LI destroyed him as a novice any way and Tidal Bay's 13 years of age,i know he retains plenty of ability but if he comes over here and beats our best (Injured Sir Des Champs aside) i'll be disappointed,Lord Windermere is pricewise so will surely attract plenty of support and i still think he could end up a nice horse but i'm against him on what he's shown so far this season.

I quite like Don Cossack in the novice chase,as good a novice jumper as i've seen since the aforementioned Last Instalment and although he doesn't appear the most genuine in a fight i don't think he'll have 1 against an inexperienced Ballycasey and Carlingford Lough who i'd say has developed as far as hes going to for the time being.