The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muzz

Off the bridle means they are not racing anymore and falling back...on the bridle they are in the race pushing forward.

Donnellys Hollow

A racehorse has a steel bit in its mouth. When a horse has plenty of energy and/or wants to go faster it takes a grip on the bit. You'll often see jockeys pulling on the reins to try and slow the horse down and stop it using up too much energy. When a horse is either getting tired or getting lazy they are no longer taking as firm a grip on the bit and the jockey has to push them along to try and maintain or improve the horse's position. Some horses go on and off the bridle during a race. Big Bucks would be an obvious example and you will often hear commentators saying that the horse in question has hit a flat spot. A lot of these horses will come back on the bridle after being bumped along by the jockey for a few strides.

Generally speaking, the longer a horse travels on the bit/bridle the better but it's not always the case. Have a look at the race below. Harchibald was swinging away on the bridle but finds nothing off it. Hardy Eustace was a lazy horse who would often come off the bridle long before the finish but he always found plenty for the jockey's pressure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PViYk2Py-PE
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Family guy

ardchieftain

Hurry up national hunt season. The flat just doesn't do it for me.

Sea The Stars

The 2005 Champion Hurdle. What a race. A golden era for Irish hurdlers here too.

Student Dissertation

Well DH, anything catch your eye on the opening day?

Donnellys Hollow

No I tend to avoid Galway. It's a bookmaker's benefit of a meet. I have a few lined up for Goodwood but I'm not sure yet if they will run.

Donnellys Hollow

RealSpiritof98

not really in the know but twitter seems to be cracking up over Goodwood watering the course before massive showers. Bookies must really be in the pockets of many a course clerk, surely summer flat racing is about good to firm racing.

sammymaguire

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on July 30, 2013, 12:12:42 PM
RIP Colm Murray.

Made some great sporting occasions very special to thousands and thousands of Irish people.
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Donnellys Hollow

Today marks the tenth anniversary of Kieran Kelly's death.

Sea The Stars

Big race at Longchamp today. Looks to be one of the most competitive Arc's ever.

The French maestro Andre Fabre a seven time winner of the race has five runners. Ocovango, Intello, Flintshire, Pengali Pavillion and Pirika.

Fillies have won three of the last five renewals but before that hadn't won for 15 years. Treve an interesting runner.

Japan have hit the crossbar in the past with El Condor Paso, Deep Impact, Nakayama Festa and Orfevre. Their two stars of 2013 Orfevre and Kizuna won both their trials. Could this be Japan's year?

And Aidan O'Brien with only one Arc to his name, the imperious Dylan Thomas, has two Classic winning 3 year olds in the mix. Leading Light and Ruler of the World.

Only two runners representing UK based trainers - Al Kazeem clearly the pick of those on form.

The stats are against the favourite Orfevre. It's over 20 years since the Prix Foy produced the winner of the Arc and there's only been seven 5yo+ winners, 2 in the last 60 years.

Treve is inexperienced. It does pay to stick with the 3 year old's however.

Leading Light is a hardy horse. And he's improving. He has that Giant's Causeway look about him. You won't get by him too easy.

Ocovango might prove to be the best of Andre Fabre's. I think he'll be the most suited by the conditions.

Kizuna finished in front of Ocovango in the Prix Niel and could finally end the Japanese jinx in this race. His jockey Yataka Take has had some nightmares in Longchamp before though.

1st - Leading Light
2nd - Ocovango
3rd - Kizuna

Donnellys Hollow

It's a pity Novelist is a non runner. He was an e/w bet to nothing with bookies paying the first four places.

My only interest in the race now is a lay of Treve. I'm not convinced her form is up to winning an Arc. The filly she beat the last day is a group 2 filly over a mile and six. Her run style leaves her vulnerable and I am also not a fan of Motivator as a sire.

Donnellys Hollow

Hardy

Hope it wasn't too disastrous, DH.