The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnellys Hollow

The whole episode just goes to show the extent to which Nicholls can manipulate the racing media in Britain. He would do well to remember that it is Smith who owns the horse and has paid him handsomely for many years to train the horse. I don't see the problem with what Smith is doing. The likes of Moscow Flyer, Harchibald, Hardy Eustace, Kicking King, Brave Inca, Beef Or Salmon and War Of Attrition are competing successfully at these events so why should Kauto Star be treated any differently?
http://stabletostable.com/en/2012/07/and-theyre-off-to-the-2012-discover-ireland-dublin-horse-show/

The horse will be kept active and will have a daily routine which is what a thoroughbred needs. Some of the quotes attributed to Nicholls over the past 24 hours are way over the top: "I did not want my team's distress to last any longer than it needed to." Now it's understandable that they have a great affinity to the horse, but he's retired and he's moving on to see out his years in another discipline. It's tough but that's the nature of the game. I recall hearing that Denman had moved on recently too and I don't recall any big hoopla over that.

I've never had much time for Nicholls or his whole operation. I thought his behaviour towards Pipe and McCoy after the Cyborgo/See More Business incident in the Gold Cup showed a distinct lack of class. Contrast that with Henry de Bromhead's humility and grace after this year's Champion Chase debacle. He also didn't show much concern for his horses welfare when he was going hammer and tongs with Pipe for the trainer's championship back in 2005. He has ruthlessly cast jockeys aside over the years like Timmy Murphy, Joe Tizzard and Sam Thomas. I have no sympathy for him here.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Hardy

I thought your "Nicholls showing his true colours" comment was  blaming Nicholls for the decision to send KS eventing, DH. That made mo sense in retrospect. There's no doubt that Nicholls is the darling of the media and the fawning of Channel 4, in particular, would have you gagging. In fairness, that's not his fault, though.

bcarrier

Nicholls is a great trainer ...seems to be able to get longer out of horses than a lot of others. Tidal Bay the latest example.

His passion for it definitely spills over into a lack of class at times...the "we just blew Nicky out of the water" comment after the Grand National and fist pumping display after Silvi Conti won the betfair arent  what you normally expect from a trainer. 

Donnellys Hollow

The Nicholls v Henderson battle across the water and the Mullins/Gigginstown domination over here will do the game no good in the long term. The main appeal of NH racing is its competitiveness but that is being lost with so many of the quality horses being concentrated with so few trainers and owners. I think half the reason Flemenstar has attracted such a fan club is because he is not stabled in Closutton or owned by Mr Ryanair.

thewobbler

He can be a bit OTT, but I'd prefer if every trainer was as good at their job, as frank at their assessments, and as driven to win as Paul Nicholls, then a lot of the dirty accusations about the sport would be put to rest. Owners don't go Paul Nicholls to play games with the handicapper.

sammymaguire

Poor old Davy, three rides and three falls today at Navan so far today, he'll probably win the next. Liking the look of Bay of Kotor in the 2-25...
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: thewobbler on December 13, 2012, 02:17:08 PM
He can be a bit OTT, but I'd prefer if every trainer was as good at their job, as frank at their assessments, and as driven to win as Paul Nicholls, then a lot of the dirty accusations about the sport would be put to rest. Owners don't go Paul Nicholls to play games with the handicapper.

Nicholls is well capable at plotting them up. He is willing to go to any lengths to be successful. He pulled Rigmarole out of the County Hurdle one year after an adjustment in the weights could be made. Most of the field had to race from out of the handicap and Sporazene won it for the yard carrying top weight of 10st13lbs!

Don Cossack was well put in his place today. There have been a few big Gigginstown bubbles burst recently. The winner looked a nice horse. It's scary to think of the ammunition that Mullins has at his disposal. The fact that Patrick will break the record with the backing of one yard says it all.

Donnellys Hollow

Big Bucks and Al Ferof gone for the season

gaa.boy

Looking for a bit of advice (hoping you can help Donnellys hollow). I want to buy a share in a national hunt racehorse. Preferably in a syndicate with 5 to 10 (max) members. Is there somewhere I can find others in a similar position, or any stables who co-ordinate this for novices like me trying to get involved in ownership?

bannside

For the same money you could own all four legs of a fantastic greyhound.

If you have any luck (you`ll need that in both cases) you will win enough prize money never to have to pay a trainer or kennel fees. You could get a couple of dozen races out of it per year (versus half a dozen on average with a racehorse) and finally if the dog is a goodun you will have plenty of great fun nights, finals and excellent prize money.

I love horse racing too by the way - particularly the jumps - but if I had £10k - £15k spare I feel I think I would go for a top class greyhound!

Donnellys Hollow

My advice would be to ensure you have someone involved who has prior experience of ownership or better still, prior experience of having a horse with the same trainer. A lot will be dependent on your budget but even a large wedge of cash is no guarantee of success - look at the amount of six figure purchases from the p2p field who are too slow to win any half decent race. I've seen horses go through the ring at Goffs with a leg in every parish that have fetched ridiculous amounts and then can't win a bumper or a maiden hurdle after they go into training. Horses can be picked up off the flat relatively cheaply but a lot of these have had the hearts trained out of them as 2 and 3yos and they can sour quite quickly.

Apart from the initial cost of buying the horse, you're probably looking at approximately €20k per annum to keep a horse in training with any of the better trainers. Training fees, entries, schooling, vet, transport, jockey - it all adds up. Don't expect to make money.

Donnellys Hollow

Puffin Billy and Simonsig impressive today at Ascot. Puffin Billy looks the best of the English novice hurdlers so far, likewise Simonsig in the novice chase division.

All set now for the feast of racing post Christmas. It looks tonight like Sir Des Champs will be heading for Kempton. Fascinating to see how he measures up against the English staying chasers.

bridge fan

Sir Des Champs not for kenpton going to leopardstown

Lecale2

Is Thurles going ahead today?

Donnellys Hollow

The ground at Leopardstown is shaping up to be quite decent. Kempton on the other hand could be softer than at any Christmas in living memory. I cannot recall a heavy ground renewal of the King George.