The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnellys Hollow

Hard not to be impressed but we've seen equally impressive Drinmore winners in recent years who haven't gone on after. I suppose it's a case of wait and see how he gets on over two miles at Christmas. I would say two and a half would be perfect for him but it might not be the strongest Arkle ever this season. I'm not convinced that Simonsig will make a great chaser (he did not jump at all well when winning his point) and the vibes from the yard at the moment are mixed. Overturn hardly has the profile of an Arkle winner, Captain Conan is a ridiculously short price and Oscars Well tried to kill himself at Punchestown and then galloped loose out the Two Mile House road!

It was great racing yesterday but I'm not sure we saw any Cheltenham winners in waiting. Our Connor and Champagne Fever would be the two horses I'd take out of it. Jezski did it nicely but he doesn't appeal to me as a Supreme Novices horse. We'll learn a lot more about him if he takes on Waaheb and/or Un Atout at Christmas. Champagne Fever was always going to get done for gears at this trip over hurdles. It could be a fascinating clash if he meets Don Cossack at Navan. I thought Our Connor looked like a smart juvenile but it's not a discipline that excites me. The 2014 Triumph Hurdler is probably still standing in his box somewhere in the French provinces.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

beer baron

Just watching a few replays from Clonmel today and thought Stephen Gray give Ros brin a great ride in the 2.15,anyone know anything about the lad? Is he new on the scene or is he well enough known and i somehow haven't copped him?  ???

Donnellys Hollow

He won the Galway Hurdle on Bahrain Storm a few years ago. He rides a good bit for Pat Flynn. I think he's from up Dundalk direction.

bridge fan

yea he is from dundalk good lad

beer baron

Cheers lads,dunno how i've not noticed him before now  :-[ 

Any fancies for the weekend? I'm going to just watch Sprinter sacre v Sanctuaire and Flemenstar versus SDC. The race i have however had a little e/w bet on is Little josh in the grand sefton ,a lovely jumping front runner that i have a soft spot for,last time out in the topham at the Grand national meeting he ran pretty well on his first start over the Aintree fences when obstructed by a loose horse for most of the race and has been dropped a couple of pounds for that run,he has run well fresh in the past and Sam and Nigel TD have been in pretty good form of late,he looks to be all blue on oddschecker so if anyone's mad enough to follow me in they should prob back him now because blue on oddschecker at this time can signal he'll be tipped by Segal in pricewise in the morning and if that's the case he'll go off 7/2  ::)

Donnellys Hollow

Hardy

My stats- based ratings for the Becher Chase

West End Rocker   26.73
Join Together   23.43
Big Fella Thank   20.73
BallaBriggs   17.5
Poker De Sivola   17.43
Hello Bud   17.2
Problema Tic   16.9
Gullible Gordon   14.43
Swing Bill   14.2
Mumbles Head   14.2
Any Currency   13.83
Fabalu   13.83
In Compliance   13.3
Midnight Haz   10.83
Minella Theatre   10.83

Lecale2

I see Home Farm is out today.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Lecale2 on December 09, 2012, 11:58:27 AM

I think Home Farm needs better ground but it's an open race now that Waaheb is out. Rory O'Moore has disappointed going right-handed before.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on December 09, 2012, 12:31:39 PM
Quote from: Lecale2 on December 09, 2012, 11:58:27 AM

I think Home Farm needs better ground but it's an open race now that Waaheb is out. Rory O'Moore has disappointed going right-handed before.

Home Farm never going on the ground. Rory O'Moore hung like a gate. Ballinaslow, Rogue Angel and Teelin Star have done nothing for the form of the championship p2p bumper at Fairyhouse. It's a pity that Waaheb wasn't right because he wouldn't have come off the bridle there.

sammymaguire

very late but Isla Pearl Fisher odds have changed from 14/1 to 7/1 so going to join in 2.50 Muss
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

sammymaguire

Quote from: sammymaguire on December 10, 2012, 02:46:57 PM
very late but Isla Pearl Fisher odds have changed from 14/1 to 7/1 so going to join in 2.50 Muss

Just got up to beat the champ  ;)
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Lecale2

When I heard this this morning on the wireless I thought it was April 1st. What's the world coming to?

Record-breaking racehorse Kauto Star has left trainer Paul Nicholls to embark on a dressage career.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/horse-racing/20682284

Donnellys Hollow

Nicholls showing his true colours. The man is an egomaniac.

Hardy

I get the impression that Nicholls is opposed to this, DH, which is why he asked them to take the horse away - he doesn't want to be associated with this travesty.

I guess it's par for the course these days. Nobody is surprised anymore by how former great sportspeople will cheapen themselves in pursuit of the dollar. The difference here is that poor ould Kauto Star has no choice in it himself and will spend the rest of his days dancing for dollars whether he likes it or not.