The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnellys Hollow

That was some Epsom for Coolmore. St Nick proved that he needs further than 10f these days and he now looks like he'll take the world of beating in the King George. Astrology ran a mighty race in the big one. There was a point about two furlongs down when it looked like he'd slipped them all. It was all about Camelot though. It might not have been the most stellar of Derby fields but he fairly minced them in the end despite not looking at home on such an idiosyncratic track. Young O'Brien gave him a polished ride that the likes of Kinane, Eddery and even Piggott would have been proud of. All the talk now will be about Doncaster but I personally don't think there's too much to be gained by going to the Leger these days. I'd love to see him follow up at the Curragh and then drop back to have a crack at Frankel at York.

Interesting now to see how Imperial Monarch gets on against French Fifteen at Chantilly tomorrow.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Carmen Stateside

I'll have another, scratched from tomorrows Belmont derby.  He was going for the triple crown after winning the Kentucky Derby and Preekness.  Was hoping to witness a bit of history but unfortunately there was swelling in one of its legs this morning.  120,000 people were expected to attend doubtful now if anything close to that will appear now.  Will leave it easier for ourselves to get to the bar if nothing else.

Donnellys Hollow

Great win by Thousand Stars to defend his French Champion Hurdle crown. Some training achievement to have him on the go from way back at Punchestown in November.

Donnellys Hollow

Fabulous 5 days flat racing in prospect at Ascot this week. I have a few nice antepost doubles and trebles rolling onto some of the obvious hotpots but I rate Emulous in the Windsor Forest as the bet of the meeting. Nahrain looks the only viable opposition but she hasn't run since the Breeders Cup and the form of Emulous' win at the Curragh is working out nicely with both the second and third winning good races since. She'll handle the expected cut in the ground too.

Could be a good week for Weld with Princess Highway also holding strong each way claims in the Ribblesdale. The form of the Blue Wind at Naas couldn't be any stronger with Was coming out and winning the Epsom Oaks.

Of the other non-Ballydoyle Irish raiders I think Mironica in the Queen Mary could be the best bet. The filly she beat at Naas went on to run Sky Lantern to half a length in a listed contest at Naas.

DownFanatic

Gabrial in the St James Palace race is looking good for a place.

bridge fan

Cristoforo Colombo in the coventry  ;) ;)

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: bridge fan on June 18, 2012, 08:22:51 PM

Looks a solid e/w punt at 5s. Surprised Bolger hasn't waited for the Chesham with Dawn Approach. All the money for Hannon's colt who was so impressive at Sandown.

Joxer

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on June 18, 2012, 11:56:02 PM

Looks a solid e/w punt at 5s. Surprised Bolger hasn't waited for the Chesham with Dawn Approach. All the money for Hannon's colt who was so impressive at Sandown.

Fancy Sir Prancealot for this..  Good price @ 7/2 this morning.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Joxer on June 19, 2012, 11:07:57 AM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on June 18, 2012, 11:56:02 PM

Fancy Sir Prancealot for this..  Good price @ 7/2 this morning.

It's a very interesting market. 90% of the field totally unexposed and open to any amount of improvement. Ground on the easy side might be against the two Ballydoyle runners being by Henrythenavigator and War Front respectively. I suspect Dawn Approach might just lack a gear but the softer it is, the more his stamina will come into play and he's tough as they come. Sir Prancelot was held up at Sandown and I'm not sure the same tactics will work here. Always a difficult tactic to pull off in these big field 2yo races at Ascot.

sammymaguire

A few fancies this avo at the prestigious Royal Ascot...  ???

2:30 Frankel           
3:05 Bated Breath           
3:45 Lucayan         
4:25 Dawn Approach         
5:00 Veiled           
5:35 Liber
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Donnellys Hollow

That was fairly ridiculous  :o

sammymaguire

The 1/5 on Frankel was a steal  :o
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Donnellys Hollow

Great ride from Kevin Manning. Thought he was in trouble at half way but he's tough out.

Cristoforo Colombo probably back to the Curragh for the Railway Stakes.

Donnellys Hollow

Willie Mullins adds a Royal Ascot win to his glittering CV. Genius of a trainer. I wonder will he add a classic winner like his father managed with Vintage Tipple?

sammymaguire

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on June 19, 2012, 05:14:13 PM
Willie Mullins adds a Royal Ascot win to his glittering CV. Genius of a trainer. I wonder will he add a classic winner like his father managed with Vintage Tipple?

Willie might just get a taste for the top hats and champers!!
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!