The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnellys Hollow

He should have had the balls to come out and admit to his mistake. Pathetic really.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on November 19, 2011, 05:56:39 PM
Darroun: Aga Khan bred winner on the flat in France. Now with Willie Mullins.

Out tomorrow at Gowran Park. Looks a hot little juvenile hurdle on paper for this time of year though.

beer baron

Donnellys Hollow

The game will always be bent as long as the bookmakers have it by the balls.

Irish racing is in a fairly pathetic state but the game at a low level in the UK is in dire straits. The French have properly run racing but the French public have no interest in it. Irish racing has the potential to be the best in the world given the strength of our bloodstock industry and the quality of our horsemen and women but there's too many vested interests.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on December 14, 2011, 08:26:00 PM

Irish racing is in a fairly pathetic state but the game at a low level in the UK is in dire straits. The French have properly run racing but the French public have no interest in it. Irish racing has the potential to be the best in the world given the strength of our bloodstock industry and the quality of our horsemen and women but there's too many vested interests.

I think I remember you saying that you'd advocate a tote-only system DH?
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on December 14, 2011, 09:23:47 PM

Definitely TAM.

Only way to do it IMO but it should have been done 20 or 30 years ago. The bookmakers are too powerful now. Despite all his xenophobic ramblings re So You Think over the summer, Bart Cummings was absolutely spot on about the influence bookmakers have over racing in these isles. They have no interest in supporting a quality product because enough mugs will punt on any old betting shop fodder. The lower quality the better as far as they're concerned. They wouldn't contribute a single cent to the levy if they could get away with it. All of the online business is registered either in Gibraltar or the Isle of Man. Kieren Fallon (of all people!) said in a newspaper interview a few years ago that Ireland would have the best racing in the world, if it wasn't for the bookmakers holding it back.

The French have excellent prize-money because of the money that the PMU ploughs back into racing. Our prize-money levels are one relatively positive thing about Irish racing at the moment, but that's bound to be hit with a reduction in government funding and less contributions from the bookmakers. In the UK, apart from at the very highest level, they race for absolute peanuts - on the main card across the water tomorrow at Exeter, they'll race for: £4,000, £8,500, £20,000, £9,000 £6,500, £4,000. Compare that to a very moderate card at Gowran Park: €13,000, €10,000, €13,000, €10,000, €10,000, €10,000, €8,001. Is it any wonder there's so much skulduggery going on when winning a race would barely cover two months training fees? They recently sold off the Tote in the UK to Betfred yet they seem to care more about the 0.001% of horses that are marked every year by the whip. The whole thing beggars belief.

Irish racing could be self sufficient if there was a Tote monopoly. The fact that the Tote doesn't even have a presence on the high street on this island is a shocking indictment of those over the industry.

never kickt a ball

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on December 14, 2011, 10:53:56 PM
Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on December 14, 2011, 09:23:47 PM

Definitely TAM.

Only way to do it IMO but it should have been done 20 or 30 years ago. The bookmakers are too powerful now. Despite all his xenophobic ramblings re So You Think over the summer, Bart Cummings was absolutely spot on about the influence bookmakers have over racing in these isles. They have no interest in supporting a quality product because enough mugs will punt on any old betting shop fodder. The lower quality the better as far as they're concerned. They wouldn't contribute a single cent to the levy if they could get away with it. All of the online business is registered either in Gibraltar or the Isle of Man. Kieren Fallon (of all people!) said in a newspaper interview a few years ago that Ireland would have the best racing in the world, if it wasn't for the bookmakers holding it back.

The French have excellent prize-money because of the money that the PMU ploughs back into racing. Our prize-money levels are one relatively positive thing about Irish racing at the moment, but that's bound to be hit with a reduction in government funding and less contributions from the bookmakers. In the UK, apart from at the very highest level, they race for absolute peanuts - on the main card across the water tomorrow at Exeter, they'll race for: £4,000, £8,500, £20,000, £9,000 £6,500, £4,000. Compare that to a very moderate card at Gowran Park: €13,000, €10,000, €13,000, €10,000, €10,000, €10,000, €8,001. Is it any wonder there's so much skulduggery going on when winning a race would barely cover two months training fees? They recently sold off the Tote in the UK to Betfred yet they seem to care more about the 0.001% of horses that are marked every year by the whip. The whole thing beggars belief.

Irish racing could be self sufficient if there was a Tote monopoly. The fact that the Tote doesn't even have a presence on the high street on this island is a shocking indictment of those over the industry.

https://www.britishhorseracing.presscentre.com/Press-Releases/Result-and-Reasons-of-Disciplinary-Panel-regarding-Sines-Crickmore-Doe-Fairley-Quinn-Milczarek-Fitzsimons-et-al-249.aspx

The use of Betfair records, analysis of the races, statements from the jockeys and telephone records all used to jigsaw together a picture.

Candyman

3.40 Towcester

Queen of Mantua e/w

Do not know the source so do with this as you wish...

Currently at 20's

Radda bout yeee

kick that source up the whole!

Candyman

5th... But read back, I'd slap them silly if I knew who they were ;-)

Lecale2

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on December 14, 2011, 04:26:32 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on November 19, 2011, 05:56:39 PM
Darroun: Aga Khan bred winner on the flat in France. Now with Willie Mullins.

Out tomorrow at Gowran Park. Looks a hot little juvenile hurdle on paper for this time of year though.

What happened he didn't run?

maddog

Interesting that mccoy has a right book of rides at Uttoxeter rather than Ascot today.

beer baron

Hazy Tom appears to be 1 of the top novice hurdlers about,he's at Ascot today and i'll be having a decent bet on him he laughed at sea of thunder a few weeks back who would've won at Cheltenham at the weekend but for falling at the last,it's a gimme who he has also beaten has won since as has colour squadron who was 2nd that day,i'm going to put him in a small double with Kumbeshawar in the Novice chase as well-he was only about 2 lengths behind Zarkander at Aintree last year so obviously has ability and i was quite impressed with him 1st time over fences,granted he wasn't beating much but he jumped beautifully that day bar 1 mistake and i think he could win today!

Watch as the 2 of them pull up now!  ::)

Donnellys Hollow

Hazy Tom looks a proper horse. Gave that good bumper horse of Rebecca Curtis a right beating a few runs back. His form with It's A Gimme at Liverpool has also received several boosts since. I'm not convinced Molotof is up to much to be honest.

Also having an interest in Claret Cloak in the bumper. Won a poor bumper at Wincanton but the way he did it was fairly jaw dropping. Made up a savage amount of ground on turning in and then was green as the grass once he hit the front:

http://horses.sportinglife.com/Video/Racing/0,27770,469081,00.html

Candyman

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on December 16, 2011, 12:37:14 PM
Hazy Tom looks a proper horse. Gave that good bumper horse of Rebecca Curtis a right beating a few runs back. His form with It's A Gimme at Liverpool has also received several boosts since. I'm not convinced Molotof is up to much to be honest.

Also having an interest in Claret Cloak in the bumper. Won a poor bumper at Wincanton but the way he did it was fairly jaw dropping. Made up a savage amount of ground on turning in and then was green as the grass once he hit the front:

http://horses.sportinglife.com/Video/Racing/0,27770,469081,00.html

At evs and 2/1 i've a generous double done with PP there.... DH set me up nicely for xmas theres a good chap!! ;-)