The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Johnson

Third at 9/2. I would be happy with a 40/1 place!

AQMP

Horses who run in the Grand National will have to be a minimum of seven years old and will have to have proved their ability by finishing fourth or better in a three-mile steeplechase under changes made to improve safety in the famous race.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/nov/02/minimum-age-grand-national-runners

Oak Leafer

DH,

I see Mount Benbulben is out at Thurles today...thoughts?

Anything else jump out at you?

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Oak Leafer on November 03, 2011, 09:50:49 AM
DH,

I see Mount Benbulben is out at Thurles today...thoughts?

Anything else jump out at you?

Should be easy enough for him provided Carberry keeps it simple. I'm sure he'll be priced accordingly though.

The betting in the chase will be interesting and Cooldine looks potentially well treated but he's a horse I've followed off a cliff recently in the hope that he can come back to his 08-09 form and Mullins's horses always seem to need their reappearance.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

sammymaguire

the Chase looks like one to avoid, a case could be made for all 5 of the runners, even the outsider has Russell on board... I would have a little inkling for Psycho but dunno if i would be too willing to part with a vast sum of my hard earned expecting him to land the spoils either...

I'll be keeping an eye out on the opening show for Grey Soldier in the 2.35, that should improve from its last outing at Galway a couple of weeks ago, it should certainly run it close.

Might also try a small e/w double on Duroob and Realta Rathcabhain
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Donnellys Hollow

Cooldine has had his wind done which may make a difference to him and his record around Thurles is excellent but the old dictum of "Meade before December, Mullins after December" is holding me back. He has some of his better horses out today so it'll be interesting to see how they get on. Twinlight is held in high regard and gets all the allowances and the horse in the bumper is a half-brother to Morning Supreme.

Looking forward to the Breeders Cup at the weekend now. All over Goldikova for the mile.

Oak Leafer

Another gamble today...1.40 Southwell Percythepinto 20s into 11/4! :o

Been keeping a close eye on gambles lately and have been able to identify reasoning behind them, but this one baffles me!

Are the bookies throwing a dummy?

Donnellys Hollow

Psycho is a NR now.

Hoping for a good price on Oscars Well tomorrow Sammy? Irish-racing.com have The Real Article as their tissue fav.

Mickey Linden

Although only a small field this 155 at Thurles looks a decent race. I was always a massive fan of Joncol's after getting a tip for him first time out. Think ill have a small punt on him to do the business today. 

sammymaguire

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on November 03, 2011, 12:37:00 PM
Psycho is a NR now.

Hoping for a good price on Oscars Well tomorrow Sammy? Irish-racing.com have The Real Article as their tissue fav.

Probably £20 saved there then  :P

Was thinking it would open at 5/4 or evens to be honest. I dont know why The Real Article is down as favourite, seen the Gary Carson comments... dont stack up to much.
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Don Johnson

Have been told to watch out for WITHER HILLS at the weekend at Down Royal. Think its connections are from around Moira.

Won when there was a tip out for it the last day (7/1 in a 2mile handicap hurdle at Punchestown, I had it backed at 12s) and is down for the 1.50 on Saturday, another 2mile handicap hurdle. Do with this what you wish! I will probably have a small each way bet on it depending on the price of course.

Mickey Linden

Psycho is a NR now.

I see Oscars Well is 2/1 with bet365. Looks like a decent bet in a small field.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Mickey Linden on November 03, 2011, 09:28:41 PM
Psycho is a NR now.

I see Oscars Well is 2/1 with bet365. Looks like a decent bet in a small field.

I have a feeling that The Real Article is a bit of a talking horse. Has shown plenty of ability in some of his outings but was found out the only time he was in a real race (Galway Hurdle). I think Staying Article in the same yard is a horse with a lot more potential. Tomorrow's race may suit him - small field, no pace etc but he is too short. Oscars Well would really want to be winning this if he wants to get within a furlong of Hurricane Fly. I'm put off backing him for some reason though. He didn't win a bumper (no harm, Moscow Flyer didn't either) but it took him 5 runs to finally win a race. I'm not sure if he's just a stuffy horse that needs a few runs to get race fit or whether he's just a slow learner. Cheltenham would suggest the latter when he was still very raw and green. Robbie Power's form recently also puts me off.

Really fancy Dazzling Suzie in the mares novice and the French yoke for Meade/Gigginstown in the maiden hurdle. Neither will be much of a price unfortunately.

sammymaguire

The only thing that would put me off Oscars is the lay off, The Real Article has won recently and Geraghty is in top form, whether OW has the engine and Power can give him a good ride on a course new to him... Time will only tell. Chart Master had a run out at Dundalk last Friday and is making a quick reappearance tomorrow so will be an good indicator of sorts to see how that one fairs. Ruby there for only 2 rides too, always worth being on. PC and Russell have a few decent each way shouts, Cottage Oak won here 3-4 years ago as far as I remember. Also confused if the odds on Double Double is in the bumper is way too short too... Good days racing in store for me.
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: sammymaguire on November 03, 2011, 10:28:20 PM
The only thing that would put me off Oscars is the lay off, The Real Article has won recently and Geraghty is in top form, whether OW has the engine and Power can give him a good ride on a course new to him... Time will only tell. Chart Master had a run out at Dundalk last Friday and is making a quick reappearance tomorrow so will be an good indicator of sorts to see how that one fairs. Ruby there for only 2 rides too, always worth being on. PC and Russell have a few decent each way shouts, Cottage Oak won here 3-4 years ago as far as I remember. Also confused if the odds on Double Double is in the bumper is way too short too... Good days racing in store for me.

Christ that thing is one to avoid. I remember him one day at Punchestown and he came so wide off the turn that he was nearly running down Naas main street. Colm Murphy's horse is interesting. Lacks a run but he has won this bumper in past with Voler La Veddete and this horse carries the same colours.