The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sammymaguire

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on October 13, 2011, 11:34:17 PM
Quote from: bcarrier on October 13, 2011, 08:32:27 PM
Hughes gets second ban and hands in licence ?   :o What a mess.

Sensational news. I don't think anyone anticipated something like that breaking tonight.

Fair play to Dickie for having the balls to make a stand. I doubt his father-in-law is too impressed but I'm sure his aul fella will have a few nice hurdlers to keep him occupied during the winter.

From The Telegraph:

If, after sleeping on it, Hughes is still good to his word it means he will miss riding Dick Turpin against Frankel in the Queen Elizabeth II Stakes at Ascot on Saturday as well as four other high-profile rides on Polly's Mark, Libranno, Bolivia and Casamento on the richest day's racing ever staged in Britain at Ascot.

Hughes was a close second on More Than Words in the maiden fillies' stakes on the all-weather. As happened when he was banned on Monday, he did not use his maximum seven hits but, crucially, he hit the horse six times inside the last furlong when only five are allowed. His 15-day ban means he will miss the potentially lucrative ride in the Breeders' Cup Mile on Strong Suit. It also means that one more breach and he is in danger of having his licence revoked by the authorities.

An immediate strike by riders at Kempton was narrowly averted by his colleagues Steve Drowne and Martin Dwyer who persuaded other jockeys that it would have done more harm than good and would have upset trainers and owners with horses in the last few races. Both onside with jockeys at the moment.

Hughes said: "Until it's resolved I won't be riding. It's my own decision. I'm not a whip jockey but they are taking the art of race riding away from me. It's like telling [Lionel] Messi not to use his left foot. When it came in we all thought seven hits was a fair number but they set a trap for us restricting us to five inside the last furlong.

"I was always taught to wait and wait before going for the whip but it now means we have to hit them sooner [before the furlong marker] than we would have done, the rule's encouraging us to hit them earlier. I feel now I can't do my owners justice."
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

attheraces

I'll be backing Frankel big tomorrow again. 1/3? If anyone wants to buy money your bookies is open now.
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.

Doogie Browser

Is Ryan Moore moving to Ballydoyle? SSN announced it this morning, but seems it is not set in stone as yet.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Doogie Browser on October 14, 2011, 11:28:54 AM
Is Ryan Moore moving to Ballydoyle? SSN announced it this morning, but seems it is not set in stone as yet.

The way things are going in England it won't be long before all the top jockeys are relocating over here.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Radda bout yeee

Quote from: attheraces on October 14, 2011, 11:22:39 AM
I'll be backing Frankel big tomorrow again. 1/3? If anyone wants to buy money your bookies is open now.

Is Frankel/So You Think double the way to go tomorrow?

Family guy

You havent the stones  ;)

Denn Forever

STRIKE ON MONDAY?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/horse_racing/15304099.stm

Jockeys are planning to strike on Monday in protest at new whip rules introduced by the British Horseracing Authority, BBC Sport understands.

Did they learn nothing from Australia?

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/jockey-strike-averted-for-now-over-whip-rules/story-e6frg7mo-1225771589323
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Donnellys Hollow

The rest of them should have followed Dickie's lead and given an ultimatum to the authorities before their silly 'Champions Day' tomorrow. I'd say half of them are only thinking about the potential prize money they'd be missing out on though.

sammymaguire

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on October 14, 2011, 01:56:29 PM
The rest of them should have followed Dickie's lead and given an ultimatum to the authorities before their silly 'Champions Day' tomorrow. I'd say half of them are only thinking about the potential prize money they'd be missing out on though.

Understandable in a way DH, but nail on head... money talks even though the jocks have a great opportunity to make a real stand here against this dung. As if a 1 ton race horse travelling at top speed can even feel the crack of a whip from an 8 stone jockey in full throttle on top, they bloody love it. When do you ever see a horse hobbling back in from a race because the jockey hit it too hard, too many times? JOKE
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: sammymaguire on October 14, 2011, 02:06:58 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on October 14, 2011, 01:56:29 PM

Understandable in a way DH, but nail on head... money talks even though the jocks have a great opportunity to make a real stand here against this dung. As if a 1 ton race horse travelling at top speed can even feel the crack of a whip from an 8 stone jockey in full throttle on top, they bloody love it. When do you ever see a horse hobbling back in from a race because the jockey hit it too hard, too many times? JOKE

I'm certain if a few more of the top lads (Dettori, Moore, Fallon etc.) told the BHA that out of solidarity for RH they aren't going to ride at Ascot tomorrow then they'd have to back down fairly sharpish. They've put all their eggs in the one basket with this 'Champions Day' lark and the last thing they would want is for it to turn into a pr disaster with none of the top riders turning up.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Radda bout yeee on October 14, 2011, 12:18:44 PM

Is Frankel/So You Think double the way to go tomorrow?

Frankel is probably a fair price at 1/3. Excelebration and the French filly are very good 3yos but you can't help but get the impression that even if Frankel is a stone below his best, he'll still hold them cosily.

My thoughts on So You Think are well known. He does have the best form of any horse in the race by a distance (considering Twice Over never seems to run to his best around Ascot) but he has had a hard campaign and this race frequently throws up strange results because of its position in the calendar. I will be having an e/w punt on Dubai Prince given that he should be a lot fresher than most of these. It's a massive step up in class for him but I know how highly DK and Pat Smullen rated him as a 2yo. I'm hoping he can surprise a few of the more familiar names tomorrow.

Canalman

Not a big horsey fan at all. but there is no way the jockeys are going to take the chance and let younger hungrier and possibly better jockeys take their rides (phnar phnar) while they protest away. Storm in a teacup imo. Rules are there now.............. get on with it.

sammymaguire

Quote from: Canalman on October 14, 2011, 04:48:53 PM
Not a big horsey fan at all. but there is no way the jockeys are going to take the chance and let younger hungrier and possibly better jockeys take their rides (phnar phnar) while they protest away. Storm in a teacup imo. Rules are there now.............. get on with it.

What does phnar phnar mean?

If they were possibly better, you dont think they would be doing the jobs themselves?

Its a very silly rule that makes no real sense, it should be quickly changed back... QUICKLY
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Canalman on October 14, 2011, 04:48:53 PM

Far from it IMO. These rules fundamentally change the sport - particularly NH racing. Some horses are lazy and need more encouragement than others. Would the likes of Brave Inca, Hardy Eustace, Inglis Drever and Denman have half the number of Grade 1s to their names if they raced under these rules? I don't think so. The whole issue is one of perception and they have gone totally the wrong way in trying to address it. The stick is an essential tool of a jockey and the authorities should be trying to raise awareness of why it is needed, how it is used, how it is designed and engineered, and how it affects the horses. Instead they have implemented these crazy new rules that just don't make any sense whatsoever.

If the high profile riders like McCoy, Walsh, Dettori, Moore etc follow Dickie Hughes' lead then it won't be long before these rules are either thrown out completely or heavily modified. Owners won't be long kicking up a fuss if the top lads aren't available to ride their animals and punters will quickly lose confidence in the game once the formlines are thrown up in the air. Once that process begins (and it won't be far away) then racing in the UK is fcuked.

The BHA are on a slippery slope here and they are in big trouble if they continue down this road. The reasoning behind these rule changes was that they believed a large proportion of the general public are put off the game because they do not like to see horses being struck with the stick. How long before it is deemed "too dangerous" to run them over 5 foot birch fences or wooden hurdles? How long before it is deemed to be "too cruel" to push at a horses neck or kick it in the belly to make it go faster?

The BHA should be trying to educate the general public and newcomes to the sport. They should not be trying to victimise pure horsemen like Hughes who are simply doing their job - trying their best to win races for owners and punters alike.

sammymaguire

MID MON LADY in the last @ Dundalk looks a very solid e/w bet at 11/2

next thing we'll see footballers being told they can't kick the ball too hard as it might hurt the goalies hands! ffs!!

Fran Berry didn't cover himself with glory on board Mid Mon Lady in the lucky last. Just couldn't find a spot to get through as there was blanket cover ahead of him.
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!