The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Johnson

Quote from: Armaghgael on September 30, 2011, 05:57:45 PM
Toals.

Thinking about heading up to Dundalk later for the dogs might caught the few last few races any fancy's?

Toals in Lurgan pay quarter the odds every race so think the amount I put up earlier is right at the SPs of 3/1, 4/9 amd 3/1.

I don't pay much attention to that Dundalk meeting, it is probably the meeting I hate the most, slightly ahead of Wolverhampton and Kempton (AW).

sammymaguire

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on September 30, 2011, 11:13:42 AM
First Lieutenant runs in the novice chase at Limerick Junction on Sunday. The road to the 2013 Gold Cup starts here!

Tipperary 5-15! Currently 9/10 on Betfair, 8/13 elsewhere
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

beer baron

I'm having a few pound e/w on Meandre for the Arc,supplemented for this for a healthy sum,trainer knows the time of day,yard had a virus during last run so it can be ignored and i was impressed with how he beat Seville and Treasure beach in the Grand prix de paris in 3rd gear in my eyes the race before!

So that's the horse you should all avoid because i could stop a train at the minute  :(

sammymaguire

I think I will chance Snow Fairy e/w small stakes for interests sake only
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

beer baron

And i had backd sole power win only in the last at 8/1!I am some gobshite! >:(

attheraces

I'm gonna go straight on the nose for SYT, he's irresistable for me at 6.2 on betfair, I know your not convinced DH and probably for good reason because you know a hell of alot more than me! I hope for once your proven wrong by SYT.

On Galikova the ground will suit but I think she has to much to find to really trouble SYT or Sarafina. I would say SYT is definitely the best horse in the race, but we don't know how good Sarafina really is or can be at the moment. And is it just me but on form, despite the ground concerns, do any of you not think Workforce is overpriced? Might go for a place on betfair with Workforce at 3.85.
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.

Don Johnson

Have had a speculative punt on Workforce.

attheraces

How disappointing was that. I think a few jockeys underestimated the opposition, ridiculous tactics by some I think.

Hardy

I agree - I'm pissed off with Seamie.

attheraces

DH maybe you were right! But the way he came through that field was pretty impressive. If he had been ridden differently I definitely think that was their for the taking. Still in shock at that ride.

Donnellys Hollow

I think you're being a bit harsh on Heffernan lads. If you look at where he finished relative to Snow Fairy, he has probably ran somewhere within a few lbs of his Leopardstown form. He was always going to be ridden patiently. Today was the first day he ever raced beyond 10 furlongs in Europe so he was never going to track the pace or anything like it. If he'd have been ridden handily and been swallowed up by the field in the final furlong then I think you'd have reasons to be aggrieved.

There are many factors you have to take into account. The ground on Arc day is usually on the soft side but today it was quite quick. That makes it harder for the closers and the horses ridden aggresively tend to last home that bit longer (see the earlier 2yo colts race for a perfect example). You also have to look at the draw - ridiculous as it may seem in a 1m4 race. No horse drawn higher than stall 8 has won the race in years. The winner was drawn 2, So You Think was out in the car park. Longchamp is a sharp enough mile and a half. It's not like Leopardstown or the Curragh where you have big galloping bends to get your position. The bend at Longchamp is very sharp and if you lose your position there then you either have to sit and suffer until the gaps open or pull wide to circle the field. The latter option is suicide in a race like the Arc which always seems to attract a big field.

So You Think is clearly a very good horse but he is no superstar.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

bcarrier

Donnellys Hollow

Pleasing introduction for First Lieutenant down at Limerick Junction. His jumping was clever and he clearly needed the run. It looked to my eyes that he took a blow turning in. I think he's a serious animal and he will show it over fences. I haven't seen many horses that are as physically impressive looking in recent years.

There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

bcarrier

Indeed DH. They have a few nice looking chasers  now.

HeaveHo

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on October 02, 2011, 03:46:49 PM
I think you're being a bit harsh on Heffernan lads. If you look at where he finished relative to Snow Fairy, he has probably ran somewhere within a few lbs of his Leopardstown form. He was always going to be ridden patiently. Today was the first day he ever raced beyond 10 furlongs in Europe so he was never going to track the pace or anything like it. If he'd have been ridden handily and been swallowed up by the field in the final furlong then I think you'd have reasons to be aggrieved.

There are many factors you have to take into account. The ground on Arc day is usually on the soft side but today it was quite quick. That makes it harder for the closers and the horses ridden aggresively tend to last home that bit longer (see the earlier 2yo colts race for a perfect example). You also have to look at the draw - ridiculous as it may seem in a 1m4 race. No horse drawn higher than stall 8 has won the race in years. The winner was drawn 2, So You Think was out in the car park. Longchamp is a sharp enough mile and a half. It's not like Leopardstown or the Curragh where you have big galloping bends to get your position. The bend at Longchamp is very sharp and if you lose your position there then you either have to sit and suffer until the gaps open or pull wide to circle the field. The latter option is suicide in a race like the Arc which always seems to attract a big field.

So You Think is clearly a very good horse but he is no superstar.

It wasn't the greatest ride by Heffernan - he did his best to save ground but had to stop riding on a couple of occasions up the straight. It was a diffucult job with the wide alley but SYT, apart from the winner who was super, was doing the best of the others on the line. I think he should have gone a furlong earlier but if Grandma had balls.......................