Dublin V Mayo, Saturday 29th March2014. Croke Park 7.00 pm.

Started by moysider, March 19, 2014, 12:08:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on March 31, 2014, 09:35:33 PM
Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on March 31, 2014, 08:55:19 PM
It's March. The result of this game won't matter a damn once the Championship starts. Eugene McGee wrote in today's Indo that Mayo are psychologically damaged because they didn't beat Dublin on Saturday. If Mayo did win and were playing Dublin again in the Championship, do you think Eugene would say this win on Saturday would be the difference between the teams? Not at all.

Mayo went to sleep because, with Cluxton gone, they thought Dublin's chance was gone with him. Mayo got caught napping, fair enough. But it's not like Mayo don't live to fight another day. It's not like there's any county in the country who fancy playing Mayo in the summer if they can help it. I'd be happy enough to include Dublin in that too.

Right now Mayo can go toe-to-toe with the best teams in the country - what more do people want? What more can people ask for? Things aren't so bad really, you know.

Rubbish ..........Mayo had Dublin bet even with Cluxton on the field (I really didnt know he was scoring goals these days) and they had a great chance to murder them and rack up a 10 + score win

Sorry Squire, you've lost me. Don't you mean that the other way around?

criostlinn

I have never seen so much crap written about a friggin league match in March. I'd expect nothing less from that flute McGee but some Mayo people are really loosing the run of themselves. This time last year Dublin bate Mayo handy in the league and again the league semi. It didn't matter one iota to how the season panned out. This year we draw with them and its the end of the world.

But it's the usual auld shite from Mayo 'supporters'. Always looking at the negatives. We draw with the the all Ireland champions and secure division one status, but no, not good enough should have laid down a marker or some such bullshit. I remember Tyrone beating Mayo in Castlebar last year with a last minute goal. The same nonsense going on. Did this loss make one bit of difference in the all Ireland semi last year. Did it fcuk.

As for the shite talk about Aidan O'Shea. I'd find it unbelievable if I hadn't seen it so many times before in Mayo. It alway follows the same line. Pick one of your best players, if he's a bit flash all the better. Keep mouthing about how bad he is and totally ignore what going on before your eyes. You don't want these bucks getting to uppity. That's not Mayo. If he's a mid fielder all the better because he's hardly going to win every ball and you can focus on the ones he loses out on. Aidan put in a savage shift the last day and left everything on the pitch like he does everyday. He is probably Mayo's most influential player at the moment and for my money is one of the best midfielders in the country

muppet

Quote from: criostlinn on March 31, 2014, 09:59:43 PM
I have never seen so much crap written about a friggin league match in March. I'd expect nothing less from that flute McGee but some Mayo people are really loosing the run of themselves. This time last year Dublin bate Mayo handy in the league and again the league semi. It didn't matter one iota to how the season panned out. This year we draw with them and its the end of the world.

But it's the usual auld shite from Mayo 'supporters'. Always looking at the negatives. We draw with the the all Ireland champions and secure division one status, but no, not good enough should have laid down a marker or some such bullshit. I remember Tyrone beating Mayo in Castlebar last year with a last minute goal. The same nonsense going on. Did this loss make one bit of difference in the all Ireland semi last year. Did it fcuk.

As for the shite talk about Aidan O'Shea. I'd find it unbelievable if I hadn't seen it so many times before in Mayo. It alway follows the same line. Pick one of your best players, if he's a bit flash all the better. Keep mouthing about how bad he is and totally ignore what going on before your eyes. You don't want these bucks getting to uppity. That's not Mayo. If he's a mid fielder all the better because he's hardly going to win every ball and you can focus on the ones he loses out on. Aidan put in a savage shift the last day and left everything on the pitch like he does everyday. He is probably Mayo's most influential player at the moment and for my money is one of the best midfielders in the country

Think about those couple of lines Críostlinn.
MWWSI 2017

Farrandeelin

*Sighs...

But anyway...I'm pessimistic by nature and no dressing up/down will change me at this stage. We drew with the All-Ireland Champions in Croker, we know that, but I mean really, we should have closed the game out and gone on and used our extra man to better effect in the last 5 minutes or so. No, we start passing the ball and play 'keep the ball' with 2 minutes to go on our own 45 m line when we were a goal up. Not good enough in my opinion.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

muppet

Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 31, 2014, 10:26:59 PM
*Sighs...

But anyway...I'm pessimistic by nature and no dressing up/down will change me at this stage. We drew with the All-Ireland Champions in Croker, we know that, but I mean really, we should have closed the game out and gone on and used our extra man to better effect in the last 5 minutes or so. No, we start passing the ball and play 'keep the ball' with 2 minutes to go on our own 45 m line when we were a goal up. Not good enough in my opinion.

Why do some Mayo supporters think it is ok to:

a) agree with the above

&

b) blame Aiden O'Shea who wasn't even on the pitch at the time?
MWWSI 2017

moysider

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on March 31, 2014, 08:09:31 PM
Quote from: aontroim abu on March 31, 2014, 11:43:08 AM
Question, I thought MDMA looked like he has been enjoying  a few too many steak dinners, maybe carrying a bit more timber than last year, anyone else think this? He looked very slow and ponderous

In my opinion it was Mc Caffrey who won that game for the Dubs, brought a different intensity to it, as for us, lessons, it seems are not being learned, summed up  by bringing a man on, who has being tried before and hasn't cut the mustard, can't train with the team as he is abroad through work and when it is back to the wall stuff on he comes, why in the name of Christ, can we not close out a game? Also, What in the name of f%*k must our minors, who were looking on on Saturday night be thinking about getting a run in this team. Give the youth a chance, we have some deadwood on that team, both playing and in the subs. Look at Clare in the AI last year, given the chance, youth can flourish....and yes i am still raging with that performance on Saturday night.

Minors? They d get killed. Did you not see the state of even our U21 recently against Roscommon. Beaten up. There is only one U21 with something to offer not in the squad already. The rest will take a while yet to be weaned.
Is there much deadwood around the panel do you think. I can only come up with 1 really about the panel.

muppet

Quote from: moysider on March 31, 2014, 10:39:25 PM
Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on March 31, 2014, 08:09:31 PM
Quote from: aontroim abu on March 31, 2014, 11:43:08 AM
Question, I thought MDMA looked like he has been enjoying  a few too many steak dinners, maybe carrying a bit more timber than last year, anyone else think this? He looked very slow and ponderous

In my opinion it was Mc Caffrey who won that game for the Dubs, brought a different intensity to it, as for us, lessons, it seems are not being learned, summed up  by bringing a man on, who has being tried before and hasn't cut the mustard, can't train with the team as he is abroad through work and when it is back to the wall stuff on he comes, why in the name of Christ, can we not close out a game? Also, What in the name of f%*k must our minors, who were looking on on Saturday night be thinking about getting a run in this team. Give the youth a chance, we have some deadwood on that team, both playing and in the subs. Look at Clare in the AI last year, given the chance, youth can flourish....and yes i am still raging with that performance on Saturday night.

Minors? They d get killed. Did you not see the state of even our U21 recently against Roscommon. Beaten up. There is only one U21 with something to offer not in the squad already. The rest will take a while yet to be weaned.
Is there much deadwood around the panel do you think. I can only come up with 1 really about the panel.

It is very harsh to talk about deadwood. These guys give up a huge amount of their lives for the cause.

However it is not unreasonable for supporters to be upset about throwing away a match like we did on saturday. If I thought we would learn it wouldn't bother me in the least as the 'it is only March' line would apply. But I don't think we will learn.
MWWSI 2017

criostlinn

Quote from: muppet on March 31, 2014, 10:21:30 PM
Quote from: criostlinn on March 31, 2014, 09:59:43 PM

Think about those couple of lines Críostlinn.

Do you really think them two games had any bearing on what happened later in the year. And if you does this not indicate that after last Saturday we are in a far better place then this time last year

An Gaeilgoir

And yet, as soon as we get a goal we concede one, lads trying to kick glory points with a forward running beside them, then with the quick out against us, they are out of position and we are wide open in the MF and HB division.....unable to close out a game, experienced men/ leaders panicking when cool heads are required, ball constantly turned over between the HB and HF line.....

Not much point scoring 2-17 and conceding 3-14 at the other end.............

These problems have being there since this time last year, it cost us an AI and yet the management or team are unable to fix these issues, instead we bring back lads who have being tried and tested before and now they are jumping ahead as subs 16,17,18....while our all- Ireland winning minor team are sitting at home not gaining any experience..........

We have not improved since last year, we have stayed the same, while the Dubs push on, keep the heads and i am sure they are disappointed not to have won the man with 14 men.....................

INDIANA

Quote from: muppet on March 31, 2014, 10:34:06 PM
*Sighs...

a) agree with the above

&

Aiden O Shea played fantastically well last Saturday night but why does he carry the ball into contact with free men around him? I think its an ego thing at this stage. He's a great player but when is going to start playing for the guys around him and not himself.

Why would you play around with the ball on the halfway line when you're 3 points up?

Think about it - dublin can only score a goal to get anything from the game. There would be some merit to it if only a point up whereby any loose pass could result in an equaliser- but three points up? No way.

Play it as far away from your own goal as possible and if you turn it over the entire team just needs to get back to the 14 and there is no way Dublin would have scored a goal. None.

My fear for Mayo is these guys have reached the highest level of the game for a top county and still make elementary errors when under the cosh.

If you want to watch the difference between the current Dublin and Mayo teams watch the last 7 minutes of the 2011 final. Currently Mayo wouldn't close out a game like that.

This could be it for a lot of these Mayo players. Its a year where you have a tired Dublin and no other outstanding team. Its a great opportunity for Mayo but you wouldn't put any money on them cutting out the basic errors that are crucifying them,

moysider

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on March 31, 2014, 11:09:50 PM
And yet, as soon as we get a goal we concede one, lads trying to kick glory points with a forward running beside them, then with the quick out against us, they are out of position and we are wide open in the MF and HB division.....unable to close out a game, experienced men/ leaders panicking when cool heads are required, ball constantly turned over between the HB and HF line.....

Not much point scoring 2-17 and conceding 3-14 at the other end.............

These problems have being there since this time last year, it cost us an AI and yet the management or team are unable to fix these issues, instead we bring back lads who have being tried and tested before and now they are jumping ahead as subs 16,17,18....while our all- Ireland winning minor team are sitting at home not gaining any experience..........

We have not improved since last year, we have stayed the same, while the Dubs push on, keep the heads and i am sure they are disappointed not to have won the man with 14 men.....................

Forget about AI winning minor teams for a start. It has no relevance at this level. U21 manager is now being torn apart for playing a few of last year's minors at U21 level. They were destroyed by a more mature Roscommon team. And you want to play them against Dublin/Kerry/ Cork/ Tyrone/ Derry seniors! For Gods sake! That is just ridiculous. This is not the stage to give 18 year old kids experience. A minor AI is lovely but very few of those will ever have what it takes to play senior never mind now. You ve had a cut at Parsons. Yet there was nobody around the middle on that minor that would be even close to Parson s ability at that age. Parson s was always a class act and should never have been out of the loop. In the sad Johnno years he managed to be good enough to play for his country.

moysider

Quote from: INDIANA on April 01, 2014, 12:03:04 AM
Quote from: muppet on March 31, 2014, 10:34:06 PM
*Sighs...

a) agree with the above

&

Aiden O Shea played fantastically well last Saturday night but why does he carry the ball into contact with free men around him? I think its an ego thing at this stage. He's a great player but when is going to start playing for the guys around him and not himself.

Why would you play around with the ball on the halfway line when you're 3 points up?

Think about it - dublin can only score a goal to get anything from the game. There would be some merit to it if only a point up whereby any loose pass could result in an equaliser- but three points up? No way.

Play it as far away from your own goal as possible and if you turn it over the entire team just needs to get back to the 14 and there is no way Dublin would have scored a goal. None.

My fear for Mayo is these guys have reached the highest level of the game for a top county and still make elementary errors when under the cosh.

If you want to watch the difference between the current Dublin and Mayo teams watch the last 7 minutes of the 2011 final. Currently Mayo wouldn't close out a game like that.

This could be it for a lot of these Mayo players. Its a year where you have a tired Dublin and no other outstanding team. Its a great opportunity for Mayo but you wouldn't put any money on them cutting out the basic errors that are crucifying them,

You re bloody reading my mail. You ve nailed it there.

squire_in_navy_slacks

Ye have a fine team Mayo buckos, there are 2 players though that I wouldnt start and thats Vaughan and Andy Moran, we will take Aidan OShea off ye, some of the horse shite spoke about him by his own county men is shameful

highorlow

QuoteIf I thought we would learn it wouldn't bother me in the least as the 'it is only March' line would apply. But I don't think we will learn.

I'm going along with the 'it is only March' line for the simple reason that even playing with mistakes like we made on Saturday will be enough to beat every other team around and get us to the AI final again.

It they can learn for just one match next year it will be enough. Saturday's game will be a blessing in disguise come the championship. I fear for Derry on Sunday, it will be a demolition job by us.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Tubberman

Quote from: highorlow on April 01, 2014, 09:29:16 AM
QuoteIf I thought we would learn it wouldn't bother me in the least as the 'it is only March' line would apply. But I don't think we will learn.

I'm going along with the 'it is only March' line for the simple reason that even playing with mistakes like we made on Saturday will be enough to beat every other team around and get us to the AI final again.

It they can learn for just one match next year it will be enough. Saturday's game will be a blessing in disguise come the championship. I fear for Derry on Sunday, it will be a demolition job by us.

Why would Derry be fearful, they've been producing the more consistent performances throughout the league.
They're already through to the semi-finals and that's the only reason that they might not be fully up for this match.
I think this will be a very tough battle, we always find Derry a difficult team to play against, they're very big physically and can always score from distance.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."