Price of a Pint

Started by toby47, October 13, 2021, 09:46:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonto1888

Quote from: Ed Ricketts on July 26, 2023, 12:30:51 AM
Quote from: toby47 on July 25, 2023, 03:48:26 PM
Not exactly a pint...but worth a mention.

Fella in work went to that new 'The Avenue' cinema in Belfast last night. Was showing us the receipt this morning - £60 to go to the cinema!

A ticket , 1 drink each, 1 x pack of sweets for his missus & 1 x burger from him as he was rushing from work.

£14 a ticket
£3.80 for a 330ml can of Diet Coke. (surely the biggest rip off on this list??)
£6.95 for a strawberry and lime cider
£4.00 for a bag of Haribo.
£13.50 a burger.

Dunno what your mate was expecting. The whole USP of The Avenue is a 'premium' experience at a premium price point.

He could've had everything on his list for less the half the price if he had been willing to slum it out at Yorkgate. 9 quid tickets, a Burger King, and Tesco for the cider, haribo and coke.

£3.80 is still ridiculous for a can of diet coke whatever way you dress it up

AustinPowers

Surely   if you want refreshments while watching a film , a visit to the pound shop  is essential beforehand?

RedHand88

Have heard similar from a few who have been. Insane that people fall for this fad. Who wants to sit beside someone eating a chippy in the cinema anyway?!

urbangael

Pint in the local now £4.50 but expected to rise 10p.  That means it'll be £5 as it only goes up in 50p's!!!

12 bottles of good beer in the off licence is a tenner..... But it's not the same drinking at home!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: urbangael on July 26, 2023, 10:40:19 AM
Pint in the local now £4.50 but expected to rise 10p.  That means it'll be £5 as it only goes up in 50p's!!!

12 bottles of good beer in the off licence is a tenner..... But it's not the same drinking at home!

Drink from Tesco or wherever you get it hasn't really changed, You can still get £5 quid bottles of wine and 20 bottles of beer for £11

So the price of drink hasn't changed, its just the cost of having a pint in a pub that has changed for the suppliers/publicans due to rates/fuel/wages/energy costs and on

The price of dog food is through the roof, its still the same crappy food put into it but not sure why its doubled!

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Saffrongael

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 26, 2023, 12:22:13 PM
Quote from: urbangael on July 26, 2023, 10:40:19 AM

Drink from Tesco or wherever you get it hasn't really changed, You can still get £5 quid bottles of wine and 20 bottles of beer for £11

So the price of drink hasn't changed, its just the cost of having a pint in a pub that has changed for the suppliers/publicans due to rates/fuel/wages/energy costs and on

The price of dog food is through the roof, its still the same crappy food put into it but not sure why its doubled!

The energy costs to make it & transport and distribute it I'm guessing
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

clarshack

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on July 26, 2023, 09:39:19 AM
Hope he wasn't whinging about it. I've just had a look at their menu and he has bought the dearest burger, drink and if he's buying Diet Coke and Haribo at that price then fcuk him.

if you really want to eat a bag of haribo in the cinema just buy it in a local shop at a 1/4 of the price before you head in!

screenexile

Quote from: clarshack on July 26, 2023, 12:43:17 PM
Hope he wasn't whinging about it. I've just had a look at their menu and he has bought the dearest burger, drink and if he's buying Diet Coke and Haribo at that price then fcuk him.

if you really want to eat a bag of haribo in the cinema just buy it in a local shop at a 1/4 of the price before you head in!

Haribo are £1.25 a bag now... and a smaller bag at that!!

TabClear

Quote from: screenexile on July 26, 2023, 12:57:15 PM

This. Think shrinkflation annoys me more than prices going up. If the can size reduces by 10% or a Multipacks move from 6 to 5 units I'm less inclined to notice than a simple price hike.

Only a matter of time before pubs start moving to 500ml beers on draught for an easy 10% margin improvement.  (I think there might be some legal red tape around this so maybe its not that straightforward).

Milltown Row2

Quote from: TabClear on July 26, 2023, 01:13:08 PM
Quote from: screenexile on July 26, 2023, 12:57:15 PM

This. Think shrinkflation annoys me more than prices going up. If the can size reduces by 10% or a Multipacks move from 6 to 5 units I'm less inclined to notice than a simple price hike.

Only a matter of time before pubs start moving to 500ml beers on draught for an easy 10% margin improvement.  (I think there might be some legal red tape around this so maybe its not that straightforward).

I don't mind the shrinking, its less crap going in, we eat way too much anyways
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

red hander

Just had a wagon wheel there with mug of tea. It's probably more than half the size of them in the 1970s when I was growing up.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: red hander on July 26, 2023, 03:15:40 PM
Just had a wagon wheel there with mug of tea. It's probably more than half the size of them in the 1970s when I was growing up.
Had one about a year ago and I could hardly bear the sweetness of them. As I've got older I've definitely turned off sweet stuff. Had a Tunnocks Snowball last week for the first time in 20+ years and it was like eating a tablespoon of sugar.

BrotherMore6592

Are yous all retired or lost your minds or is this an echo chamber

Some delightful conversations on this forum on a Wednesday afternoon, wagon wheels and tea

red hander

Quote from: BrotherMore6592 on July 26, 2023, 03:40:52 PM

Some delightful conversations on this forum on a Wednesday afternoon, wagon wheels and tea

So, what are you doing here, Mr Angry?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: red hander on July 26, 2023, 04:13:22 PM
Quote from: BrotherMore6592 on July 26, 2023, 03:40:52 PM

So, what are you doing here, Mr Angry?

Not sure he understands the term echo chamber means