Price of a Pint

Started by toby47, October 13, 2021, 09:46:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrone08

It's strange as people are obviously out every weekend paying these crazy drink and hotel prices. I make a decent living and have no idea where these people are getting the money at.

Price a hotel in Belfast for 1 night with the partner. Over 200 quid. Went down to an apartment in a popular town down south and got 2 nights for 160 quid. Pints were cheaper as well.

trailer

Quote from: Franko on June 07, 2022, 03:38:31 PM
Quote from: trailer on June 07, 2022, 03:02:12 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on June 07, 2022, 01:43:37 PM
Quote from: Saffrongael on June 07, 2022, 01:41:13 PM
Quote from: general_lee on June 07, 2022, 01:36:58 PM
https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/northern-ireland-most-expensive-uk-24155715

Have we blamed it on the troubles yet ?

I'm expect Seafoid to come on with a cryptic post about it any minute now

Price of drink and hotel rooms in Belfast is scandalous. They'll get a rude awakening. Was charged £4 for a Coke in the Europa recently. f**king ridiculous.

Belfast is disgraceful.

Hotels / Food / Pints - the prices are scandalous

There are lean times coming for these people and after the way they've gouged the shite out of punters post covid, I've no sympathy.

Colin Neill should be hit with some of these stats every time he comes on the air begging for another taxpayer handout

A complete stain

thewobbler

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 01, 2022, 11:29:41 PM
Quote from: Square Ball on April 01, 2022, 09:30:31 PM
Europa, £19.75 for a pint, a Bacardi and 2 7ups
Ouch! If you take 6 quid for the pint and 2.50 each for the minerals that's the guts of 9 quid for the Bacardi  :o Robbing hoors.

This is my single biggest gripe with modern pubs.

I can understand them charging £5.50 a pint to keep their traditional (60-70%) margins in place. I don't think they should charge it, but the robbing bastards that are Diageo are a little forcing their hand here.

But this mindset/principle  should then see a rub the other way for punters. But no, instead astonishing greed is in display.

If working on the 60-70% margin basis, pubs should be sending out:

Coke and similar at around £1.20
Smirnoff and Gordon's at around £2.10
Jameson and JD at around £2.90
Bottles of Coors at around £2.25
Bottles of Corona at around £2.70

But they don't. Instead they absolute lot fleece man, woman and child for these products, charging somewhere between 100% and 200% margins. For opening a bottle, or squirting into a glass.

We are absolute f**king eejits for paying this.

Square Ball

But we do. It's £5.10 in the Parador Lodge/Parador/The P. Sure come on down watch the GAA, and it's even cheaper when you have the loyalty card 🍻.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

johnnycool

Quote from: Square Ball on June 07, 2022, 07:10:27 PM
But we do. It's £5.10 in the Parador Lodge/Parador/The P. Sure come on down watch the GAA, and it's even cheaper when you have the loyalty card 🍻.

Paul would be proud of the free advertising.  ;)

I'm almost certain our club sells pints at £3.50 (Members get another 10% off) and if the breweries had put the keg price up we'd follow suit based on whatever margins we've set on each drink, so evidently it's not driven by the breweries.

Price gouging indeed.

lurganblue

Quote from: thewobbler on June 07, 2022, 05:59:46 PM
Ouch! If you take 6 quid for the pint and 2.50 each for the minerals that's the guts of 9 quid for the Bacardi  :o Robbing hoors.

I can understand them charging £5.50 a pint to keep their traditional (60-70%) margins in place. I don't think they should charge it, but the robbing bastards that are Diageo are a little forcing their hand here.

But this mindset/principle  should then see a rub the other way for punters. But no, instead astonishing greed is in display.

But they don't. Instead they absolute lot fleece man, woman and child for these products, charging somewhere between 100% and 200% margins. For opening a bottle, or squirting into a glass.

I assume Diageo etc charge all bars the same price per keg.  So a bar in Belfast is buying kegs at the same price as the local rural pub say?  The margins they then put on the drink in Belfast City Centre is scandalous. 

Milltown Row2

Quote from: lurganblue on June 08, 2022, 11:35:05 AM

I assume Diageo etc charge all bars the same price per keg.  So a bar in Belfast is buying kegs at the same price as the local rural pub say?  The margins they then put on the drink in Belfast City Centre is scandalous.

Rates, insurance costs, wages, and other City prices will drive up the price of a pint in a city pub over a rural one.. But yes they are still ripping us off
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Truth hurts

Its 3.70 in the local

Armagh18

Quote from: lurganblue on June 08, 2022, 11:35:05 AM

I'd say your big pub in Belfast is paying a whole pile less per keg than your small rural pub if they're buying in bulk although other expenses will drive the price up in Belfast obviously.

bogball88

£3.50 in Casement Park social the day of Ulster Final

thewobbler

It would be less per keg, but it wouldn't be much less. Diageo aren't fond of sharing their margins with anyone.

——

The reason why local pubs are able to charge £3.70 is they are effectively foregoing the one third of each sale that used to be gathered up into a combination of profit, savings, reinvestment funds, rainy day funds. It was kind of perceived that one third of a sale went on the brewer/distiller, one third to cost of sale (staff, rent, rates, entertainment).

A local pub that trades basically only in pints at £3.70 a touch wouldn't pay a man a wage. Viable for a club. Viable for a man looking some pin money from a property paid for years ago. Not viable as a career.

Truth hurts

Quote from: thewobbler on June 08, 2022, 12:30:49 PM
It would be less per keg, but it wouldn't be much less. Diageo aren't fond of sharing their margins with anyone.

——

The reason why local pubs are able to charge £3.70 is they are effectively foregoing the one third of each sale that used to be gathered up into a combination of profit, savings, reinvestment funds, rainy day funds. It was kind of perceived that one third of a sale went on the brewer/distiller, one third to cost of sale (staff, rent, rates, entertainment).

A local pub that trades basically only in pints at £3.70 a touch wouldn't pay a man a wage. Viable for a club. Viable for a man looking some pin money from a property paid for years ago. Not viable as a career.

Is it true there is not much profit on pints and that the profit in bars is in spirits, splits and diluted drinks?

general_lee

Quote from: Truth hurts on June 08, 2022, 12:44:57 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on June 08, 2022, 12:30:49 PM

——

Is it true there is not much profit on pints and that the profit in bars is in spirits, splits and diluted drinks?
Yes. Worth also noting that Diageo, Tennents etc pump £1000s into the big bars round Belfast. The breweries also took back £1000s worth of kegs when the bars shut for covid (around St Patrick's 2020). So they now have the bars by the short and curlys to a certain extent. All it takes though is for one of the cabal of chain pub owners to put their prices up to something ridiculous and the rest follow suit

oakleaflad

Going to be in Dublin shortly with a few relatives doing some touristy type things. Where's decent for a few pints in or near the city centre that's reasonable as Dublin prices go?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: oakleaflad on June 16, 2022, 12:27:40 PM
Going to be in Dublin shortly with a few relatives doing some touristy type things. Where's decent for a few pints in or near the city centre that's reasonable as Dublin prices go?

Plenty of talk about the price of a pint in Belfast but you'd be hard push to find a cheap pint in Dublin, especially south of the Liffey, plenty of put that I like O'Donoghues Bar, McDaids good few on or near Dame street Keoghs pub good old fashioned pub..

Ah, need to get down for some Guinness soon
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea