American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Shohei Otani living up to the billing so far.

passedit

Quote from: gallsman on April 05, 2018, 10:17:20 AM
Shohei Otani living up to the billing so far.

Indeed. A lot of hype (see link) but looks the business so far.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/23026169/the-shohei-ohtani-experience-keep-track-angels-phenom-two-way-quest .

Surprised America's game gets so little love on here. Leagues have started promisingly with the Yankees under 500 and booing Stanton, while as of today Phillies are a 500 club so I'm happy enough.
Don't Panic

magpie seanie

Football is America's game. Baseball regular season games (individually) are as close to irrelevant as you can get without being irrelevant. It only gets interesting for the playoffs or at most after the break.

AZOffaly

Ah I don't know Seanie. It just operates at a different pace and with that amount of games it obviously is less intense than football. However as a pulse of the people, and the way it fits into the rhythm of life, I would say baseball is the very definition of Americana.

The baseball strike really hurt the sport because people felt so betrayed that their sport could let them down like that but i think it's bouncing back, especially as the NFL loses ground with it's own image problems.

I love it too :)

David McKeown

What is it they say, every team is going to win 54 games, every team is going to lose 54 games and it's what they do with the other 54 games that count. To me that just suggests there are far too many games. Whilst I still enjoy the sport (as I do most sports) I think it's my least favourite of the big 4
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Ball Hopper

Quote from: David McKeown on April 11, 2018, 02:43:51 PM
What is it they say, every team is going to win 54 games, every team is going to lose 54 games and it's what they do with the other 54 games that count. To me that just suggests there are far too many games. Whilst I still enjoy the sport (as I do most sports) I think it's my least favourite of the big 4

Another way to look at it:  Top teams will win around 60% of their games, Bottom teams 40%.  Say they play 5 games a week.  Top team wins 3 a week, Bottom team 2 a week. 

So, each team wins 2 a week and loses two a week, with one game a week up for grabs.

Baseball is America's pastime, rather than its sport. 

AZOffaly

Quote from: Ball Hopper on April 11, 2018, 03:03:42 PM

Another way to look at it:  Top teams will win around 60% of their games, Bottom teams 40%.  Say they play 5 games a week.  Top team wins 3 a week, Bottom team 2 a week. 

So, each team wins 2 a week and loses two a week, with one game a week up for grabs.

That's probably a better way to put it. Nobody gets too upset or too elated on one single game (barring pennant chases or playoffs as Seanie referred to). It's a nice way to spend a few hours in the ballpark, with some food, some beer  and some top technical skills on display.

lurganblue

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 11, 2018, 03:06:08 PM

That's probably a better way to put it. Nobody gets too upset or too elated on one single game (barring pennant chases or playoffs as Seanie referred to). It's a nice way to spend a few hours in the ballpark, with some food, some beer  and some top technical skills on display.

Had the pleasure of going to see the blue jays v the yankees in toronto years ago. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Beers, food and a bit of something to watch. i can see why it would be popular. But yes, nobody really seemed to get overly excited, or upset at the end.

AZOffaly

It's also a very sensory and nostalgic game. The smells, popcorn, hotdogs etc. The sounds of the ball hitting leather, the crack of the bat. The sight of the green grass and the *usually* good weather.

Add in the nostalgia of American lads remembering playing sandlot or little league or just catch with their dads, and it all becomes sort of chicken soup for the American soul.

Syferus

Quote from: lurganblue on April 11, 2018, 04:21:39 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on April 11, 2018, 03:06:08 PM

Had the pleasure of going to see the blue jays v the yankees in toronto years ago. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Beers, food and a bit of something to watch. i can see why it would be popular. But yes, nobody really seemed to get overly excited, or upset at the end.

Its popularity has massively faded in recent decades. In part due to the meaninglessness of individual games and a sport that largely involves people standing around and doing little if anything.

If I wanted to attend an American sport that's enjoyable for a spectator it would be ice hockey, to be honest. American football is so totally designed around television viewing it's not even funny. Maybe a high school game you'd get something with a better tempo for a spectator than the pre-packaged NCAA and NFL fare.

AZOffaly

Ice hockey is great when you are at the rink. I don't enjoy it nearly as much on TV.  Baseball is certainly not an all action game, but once you attune yourself to the nuances, and the situational stuff, I think it's quite an easy and enjoyable watch.

Different strokes I suppose.

magpie seanie

Went to a high school football game in Chicago when we were over there last November 12 months and it was fantastic.

AZOffaly

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 11, 2018, 05:35:26 PM
Went to a high school football game in Chicago when we were over there last November 12 months and it was fantastic.

Absolutely! Friday night lights is brilliant. Every Autumn I used have a ball going between the Horizon Huskies high school football, ASU ncaa football and the Cardinals.

magpie seanie

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 11, 2018, 05:48:17 PM

Absolutely! Friday night lights is brilliant. Every Autumn I used have a ball going between the Horizon Huskies high school football, ASU ncaa football and the Cardinals.

It must be great playing the game as a high school kid in that environment.

AZOffaly

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 11, 2018, 06:01:15 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on April 11, 2018, 05:48:17 PM

It must be great playing the game as a high school kid in that environment.

Great, or shit!