Drug testing in the GAA may be introduced to clubs

Started by imtommygunn, November 29, 2022, 11:57:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armagh18

Cocaine is a massive societal problem in the UK and Ireland at the minute. Something needs done.

toby47

Quote from: Armagh18 on November 29, 2022, 12:01:56 PM
Cocaine is a massive societal problem in the UK and Ireland at the minute. Something needs done.

Yeah, it's mental at the minute. I walked into the toilet of a pub about a month ago and 4 fella's (early 20's) were standing dipping keys into a bag (i assume cocaine) and sniffing it. Not in cubicles, right beside the urinals me and one other fella was using. I was in utter shock, obviously in shock at seeing ones do it, but also at the carefree nature, they never batted an eye lid at me walking past them doing it. 2 free cubicles and they just decided to do it in the middle of the toilets for everyone to see.

Armagh18

Quote from: toby47 on November 29, 2022, 12:06:19 PM

Yeah, it's mental at the minute. I walked into the toilet of a pub about a month ago and 4 fella's (early 20's) were standing dipping keys into a bag (i assume cocaine) and sniffing it. Not in cubicles, right beside the urinals me and one other fella was using. I was in utter shock, obviously in shock at seeing ones do it, but also at the carefree nature, they never batted an eye lid at me walking past them doing it. 2 free cubicles and they just decided to do it in the middle of the toilets for everyone to see.
Yeah that'd be a common occurrence in an awful lot of places now unfortunately. That shite absolutely ruins lives but has become completely normalised, something genuinely needs to change.

imtommygunn

Is it the job of the GAA to do it though?

Armagh18

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 29, 2022, 12:16:19 PM

Absolutely not although I do think the GAA as a whole should be making an effort to do something. In fairness most clubs I know of do at least try to educate young people on the dangers etc. It's a huge societal problem.

Milltown Row2

Its not just cocaine that will be looked at though...

Steroids I'd imagine is part and parcel of kids trying to baulk up and other drugs being used to enhance performances

The rate of players claiming to have asthma will rise though as well  :D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Cavan19

It's not their job but whose is it? 

The resources are not there for the police/gardai to deal with it and the country is flooded with it. 

It's near more acceptable now to use cocaine than to go out for a smoke.

There was a bunch of suicides in an area in Cavan the last few years and everyone was putting in down to mental health and lockdowns but when the surface was scratched there was a drug problem and one of the lads who was doing the supplying was  a highly though off member of the GAA team and former county player.

Armagh18

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 29, 2022, 12:26:43 PM
Its not just cocaine that will be looked at though...

Steroids I'd imagine is part and parcel of kids trying to baulk up and other drugs being used to enhance performances

The rate of players claiming to have asthma will rise though as well  :D
Yeah the steroid thing is getting completely normalised as well, maybe not so much in GAA circles but definitely in general gym culture, although you do see plenty of lads opening up about their own negative experiences of steroids, physically and mentally.

Truth hurts

Quote from: Cavan19 on November 29, 2022, 12:31:17 PM

The resources are not there for the police/gardai to deal with it and the country is flooded with it. 

There was a bunch of suicides in an area in Cavan the last few years and everyone was putting in down to mental health and lockdowns but when the surface was scratched there was a drug problem and one of the lads who was doing the supplying was  a highly though off member of the GAA team and former county player.

where abouts was this in Cavan? I ever knew this

Armagh18

Quote from: Truth hurts on November 29, 2022, 01:00:58 PM

Maybe a good idea to take that one to pm lads? Better to not be posting any details of that kind of thing imo

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Armagh18 on November 29, 2022, 01:09:18 PM
Quote from: Truth hurts on November 29, 2022, 01:00:58 PM

Maybe a good idea to take that one to pm lads? Better to not be posting any details of that kind of thing imo

Could be a bunch of boarders heading down for a piss in those toilets!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trailer

Quote from: toby47 on November 29, 2022, 12:06:19 PM

I'm always amazed by the amount of people needing a shite on a night out. Queue is bigger for the cubicle than the urinal.

befair

Alcohol is a much bigger problem than cocaine will ever be

Armagh18

Quote from: befair on November 29, 2022, 01:45:20 PM
Alcohol is a much bigger problem than cocaine will ever be
completely disagree. Alcohol will do you little or no harm in moderation.