Maybe some things are changing?

Started by randomtask, May 07, 2013, 01:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

randomtask

http://ulsterherald.com/2013/05/06/police-officers-face-prosecution-over-youtube-incident/

A NUMBER of Omagh police officers could face criminal proceedings after the findings of an independent investigation by the Police Ombudsman's Office was presented to the Public Prosecution Service.

The investigation was sparked by a controversial incident in the John Street area of Omagh on December 10 2012.

Two Omagh men were charged following the early morning incident, which sparked debate over police tactics after it was captured on video and spread online using social media.

Leo McCullagh (24) of Lambrook Drive and Stephen Murphy (19) of Lammy Drive in Omagh, were charged with a number of offences including assaulting police and disorderly behaviour after police became involved with a group of high-spirited men outside a John Street takeaway.

In March, the Ulster Herald revealed how all charges were dismissed by a local judge after the defence team utilised CCTV footage to largely undermine the claims of a number of police officers made during a Magistrates' Court hearing on February 26. Both men have now initiating civil proceedings against the PSNI.

FOOTAGE

Constable Sheldon Irvine-Monteith was accused during the February court contest of being "the aggressor" by the defence, after the footage, which captured the entire fracas, appeared to show him grab and push Mr McCullagh in three motions up against a car.

The 24-year-old is shown throwing his hand out at the officer in a sharp pushing action, to which Constable Irvine-Monteith responded with a punch to the head, sending the Omagh man sprawling into the crowd.

The police constable claimed he was acting to clear the road to allow traffic to safely pass.

Chief Constable Matt Baggott asked the Police Ombudsman's Office to conduct an independent investigation into the actions of his officers following the dismissal of the case.

CRIMINAL

Last week the monitoring body told the Tyrone Herald that it had now forwarded its findings onto the PPS. A spokesperson said that while the majority of its investigations result in recommendations to the disciplinary branch of the PSNI, "more serious" and potentially criminal incidents are sent to the PPS.

"We have now completed those enquiries and, in line with normal procedure, have submitted a file to the PPS for their consideration."

It's unclear at this point how many police officers face potential prosecution.

Would this have happened a number of years ago? Personally cant imagine so, very glad that justice is being done here. Incidents like this give me a little faith, that maybe the PSNI is moving in the right direction finally.

trileacman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGm_7Gg3Ow

I think this was the incident, f**king right too they were completely out of order. Not for the first or last time I'd say either.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

randomtask

Yeah that was the incident, I remember reading something at the time of the verdict (cant find the article now) but when one of the police men was shown the video. Which obviously showed he was the aggressor, he then tried to change his statement to say that the lad had called him an orange b**tard or something similar which had provoked him, judge then tore him to pieces. Seems that justice has been done and the police officer should rightly lose his job.

theticklemister

Sure a Republican in Derry a couple of years ago ended up with a break of the arm in three places, after three police officers stopped and searched him. The man ended up in jail.

deiseach

Quote from: randomtask on May 07, 2013, 02:05:35 AM
Yeah that was the incident, I remember reading something at the time of the verdict (cant find the article now) but when one of the police men was shown the video. Which obviously showed he was the aggressor, he then tried to change his statement to say that the lad had called him an orange b**tard or something similar which had provoked him, judge then tore him to pieces. Seems that justice has been done and the police officer should rightly lose his job.

It's hard to hide on Google when your name is Shelton Irvine-Monteith.

QuoteConstable Irvine-Monteith was also accused of "inventing" evidence by barrister Gary McHugh after the officer claimed the group were chanting "SS RUC" and "black b******s". The barrister questioned why the claims had not appeared in his notebook or sworn statement and were being heard for the first time in the court.

omagh_gael

Orior

Quote from: omagh_gael on May 07, 2013, 04:15:03 PM
...meanwhile up in Stormont things remain depressing backward:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-22434914

Ah now this is a good thing because unionists need reminded on a 24x7 basis that they british.

Plus, reminding unionists that they are british is far more important than creating jobs or more hospital beds.

Whoops, sorry, I had the irony dial on my keyboard set at maximum strength.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

ardal

I don't really understand the issue here.

If Sammy want's some sort of erection sticking out of his premises shouldn't he be allowed to do so? Ahhhh fields of sun flowers.

Orior

Quote from: ardal on May 09, 2013, 11:16:43 AM
I don't really understand the issue here.

If Sammy want's some sort of erection sticking out of his premises shouldn't he be allowed to do so? Ahhhh fields of sun flowers.

I'm sure there are still pictures of that little event about. Was Rhonda Paisley with him?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

ardal

I was thinking the same thing myself. It was Ronda P wasn't it?

Lecale2

Quote from: ardal on May 09, 2013, 04:13:57 PM
I was thinking the same thing myself. It was Ronda P wasn't it?

No it wasn't, thank God.

oakleafgael

On Spotlight now, an awful shower.