FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFS

Quote from: rodney trotter on March 25, 2013, 04:48:52 PM
3 players playing tomorrow weren't even at the Euros ,he had to call them up at some stage, McGlean didn't kick a ball at the Euro's. Viva la Trapp indeed.

It's McClean ffs. You've been spelling that wrong for months. And he kicked several balls at the Euros.

rodney trotter

Quote from: AFS on March 25, 2013, 05:43:42 PM
3 players playing tomorrow weren't even at the Euros ,he had to call them up at some stage, McGlean didn't kick a ball at the Euro's. Viva la Trapp indeed.

It's McClean ffs. You've been spelling that wrong for months. And he kicked several balls at the Euros.

I'll be heading to the match tomorrow, get to as many home games as I can.

McClean, hardly severals, I meant to say Gibson didn't kick a ball in the Euro's.
What Trap won in the past if irrelevant, he earns 2million a year with Ireland. Not many International Managers are on that sort of money. Why wouldn't we expect better management. Hopefully Ireland get a win tomorrow

randomtask

Quote from: rodney trotter on March 25, 2013, 05:50:16 PM

McClean, hardly severals, I meant to say Gibson didn't kick a ball in the Euro's.
What Trap won in the past if irrelevant, he earns 2million a year with Ireland. Not many International Managers are on that sort of money. Why wouldn't we expect better management. Hopefully Ireland get a win tomorrow

What planet are you on? what kind of better management do you want. Trap gets results that's the bottom line. Soccer is a result driven business. Would you prefer to have a manager who looks after his players well and never falls out with anyone i.e staunton and kerr. Or a manager who gets us punching above our weight, qualifies for tournaments and wins games with an average enough bunch of players? I think its a no bainer.

rodney trotter

Quote from: randomtask on March 25, 2013, 05:59:22 PM

What planet are you on? what kind of better management do you want. Trap gets results that's the bottom line. Soccer is a result driven business. Would you prefer to have a manager who looks after his players well and never falls out with anyone i.e staunton and kerr. Or a manager who gets us punching above our weight, qualifies for tournaments and wins games with an average enough bunch of players? I think its a no bainer.

Bettter man management ffs, Thought that was obvious , as for results,  he was on the verge of being sacked if they had lost to Kazakhstan, until Kevin Doyle got the late winner.

Getting to the Euro's was a large slice of luck, we avoided Portugal and other big names  getting Estonia in the play offs, so don't kid yourself. Russia destroyed Ireland in Dublin and in Moscow , only for Given and Dunne. I'm just saying it as it is.

randomtask

Quote from: rodney trotter on March 25, 2013, 07:16:28 PM

Quote from: randomtask on March 25, 2013, 05:59:22 PM

Bettter man management ffs, Thought that was obvious , as for results,  he was on the verge of being sacked if they had lost to Kazakhstan, until Kevin Doyle got the late winner.

Getting to the Euro's was a large slice of luck, we avoided Portugal and other big names  getting Estonia in the play offs, so don't kid yourself. Russia destroyed Ireland in Dublin and in Moscow , only for Given and Dunne. I'm just saying it as it is.

You can call it luck, i call it good management. We will leave it at that.

ranch

We avoided the big names because we were seeded, and we were seeded due to our record in the previous few years under Trap. Russia destroyed us in Moscow and Dublin but what does that matter, they weren't the games which determined whether we got a play off spot, the games v Armenia and Slovakia were. We got 8 points from 12 against those 2 sides and that's what largely determined our place in the play off spot.

rodney trotter

Quote from: ranch on March 25, 2013, 07:44:57 PM

We avoided the big names because we were seeded, and we were seeded due to our record in the previous few years under Trap. Russia destroyed us in Moscow and Dublin but what does that matter, they weren't the games which determined whether we got a play off spot, the games v Armenia and Slovakia were. We got 8 points from 12 against those 2 sides and that's what largely determined our place in the play off spot.

Yeah we were seeded, which was a bonus. It was actually Bosnia who we avoided, they met Portugal, Bosnia were the form team at the time

ranch

Quote from: rodney trotter on March 25, 2013, 07:59:31 PM
Quote from: ranch on March 25, 2013, 07:44:57 PM

Yeah we were seeded, which was a bonus. It was actually Bosnia who we avoided, they met Portugal, Bosnia were the form team at the time

Whilst the Bosnians have developed a good side I'd see no reason for us to fear them, even back then, over 2 legs. With our record away from home under Trap we'd always give ourselves a good chance against that sort of opposition.

randomtask

Rodney just keeps digging that hole for himself

rodney trotter

Quote from: randomtask on March 25, 2013, 10:55:25 PM
Rodney just keeps digging that hole for himself

I suppose we would have beaten Bosnia 4-0 away aswell, That was a moderate group, Brian Kerr would have got us to the play off stages. If we can get through this, then we will see

Norf Tyrone

Maybe it has been mentioned but has the draw for the play offs already taken place?

Someone said Ireland's group runner up plays the runner up from France/ Spain's group. Is that right?
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

ranch

Quote from: rodney trotter on March 25, 2013, 11:01:01 PM

I suppose we would have beaten Bosnia 4-0 away aswell,

No most probably not. They wouldn't have beat us 4-0 either though.

Quote from: rodney trotter on March 25, 2013, 11:01:01 PM
That was a moderate group, Brian Kerr would have got us to the play off stages. If we can get through this, then we will see

Under Brian Kerr we finished behind both Switzerland and Israel in our World Cup 2006 qualifying campaign, and he arguably had a better squad to work with than Trap's had.
Hardly an argument that convinces me he'd have got us into the Euro 2012 play off's.

ranch

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on March 25, 2013, 11:26:40 PM
Maybe it has been mentioned but has the draw for the play offs already taken place?

Someone said Ireland's group runner up plays the runner up from France/ Spain's group. Is that right?

First I've heard of it. It can't be true anyway as there's 9 groups and only the 8 of the teams who finish 2nd will reach the play offs. The side who finishes 2nd but has the worst record in qualifying will lose out.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: ranch on March 25, 2013, 11:55:45 PM

First I've heard of it. It can't be true anyway as there's 9 groups and only the 8 of the teams who finish 2nd will reach the play offs. The side who finishes 2nd but has the worst record in qualifying will lose out.

Good point. A guy at work told me that yesterday, but as you say I had never heard of it! He's usually on the ball too!
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

AFS

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on March 26, 2013, 12:07:43 AM
Quote from: ranch on March 25, 2013, 11:55:45 PM

Good point. A guy at work told me that yesterday, but as you say I had never heard of it! He's usually on the ball too!

It's bull alright. The playoff draw is never made until after the groups have been completed. This allows FIFA/ UEFA to rig a seeding system in favour of the couple of big boys that have had the misfortune of not qualifying automatically.