The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Real Laoislad

Ian Poulter doesn't sit on the fence anyways :D

From Twitter
"Rules of Golf Book Rule 22-4 paragraph 3 line 7, "the rules of golf are complete bollocks and are stuck back in 1932". Couldn't agree more"
You'll Never Walk Alone.

gallsman

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on January 21, 2011, 06:51:40 PM

From Twitter
"Rules of Golf Book Rule 22-4 paragraph 3 line 7, "the rules of golf are complete bollocks and are stuck back in 1932". Couldn't agree more"

Great to see it acknowledged. Too many golfers I know take pride in the archaic and redundant nature of golf rules such as this.

Puckoon

Padraig very candid about the incident.

To pharaphrase: 'Its a dimple and a half today, its 3 dimples next week, an inch the week after that, and 5 inches the following week'.

He seems very proud of the rules.

Bogball XV

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on January 21, 2011, 05:01:10 PM
What would annoy me about this is not the fact Harry was DQ because after seeing the footage it's obvious the ball moved and the rules of golf being as they are he can't have any complaints,but what would annoy me is the little p***k that rang up and notified people of it,has that cnut nothing better to be doing with his time?
I can see the bollix now as smug as f**k boasting to all his mates how he got one of the worlds top golfers disqualified,people like this are sad f**ks IMHO.
we should have a gaaboard competition, first one to get a player dq wins - you have to post the incident on here first though!!

Bogball XV

Quote from: gallsman on January 21, 2011, 07:42:01 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on January 21, 2011, 06:51:40 PM

From Twitter

Great to see it acknowledged. Too many golfers I know take pride in the archaic and redundant nature of golf rules such as this.
what was redundant and archaic about this incident?  The ball was not played from where it lay - you can't change that rule, it's the most basic rule in the game.
There are some stupid rules alright, Dustin Johnson's incident in the USPGA was much worse because the rules didn't really take account of the type of course and were vague imo on the ruling.

stephenite

It's not the rule per se, if the officials don't pick it up and it's not an attempt at cheating then it shouldn't result in disqualification. Maybe have a ref with each group, might seem like overkill but golf needs to move with the times. To the average weekend hacker like myself I think his disqualification was ridiculous. Take 2 shots off him by all means but let him play on

Puckoon

Well thats where the discrepancy lies. It is a penalty - but it wasnt awarded at the time, and as such he signed for a false score. Signing for a false score  = DQ.

thewobbler

The more I think about this decision the more it annoys me.

If Padraig is chucked out for signing the wrong score, then his playing partner should also be chucked out for aiding and abetting the manouevre.

PGA should realise they're in the entertainment industry, and booting out one the better players and bigger draws for the most trivial of offences, could not encourage return visitors, nor welcome those new to the game.

muppet

Quote from: thewobbler on January 21, 2011, 10:37:52 PM

If Padraig is chucked out for signing the wrong score, then his playing partner should also be chucked out for aiding and abetting the manouevre.

PGA should realise they're in the entertainment industry, and booting out one the better players and bigger draws for the most trivial of offences, could not encourage return visitors, nor welcome those new to the game.

I have to disagree. There is something to be said for integrity. The penalty is worth looking at. But I admire their adherence to rules and the players ability to accept the rules and even defend them for the integrity of the game.

Imagine Alex or Arsene saying: 'Its a dimple and a half today, its 3 dimples next week, an inch the week after that, and 5 inches the following week".
MWWSI 2017

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: muppet on January 21, 2011, 10:53:08 PM

I have to disagree. There is something to be said for integrity. The penalty is worth looking at. But I admire their adherence to rules and the players ability to accept the rules and even defend them for the integrity of the game.

Imagine Alex or Arsene saying: 'Its a dimple and a half today, its 3 dimples next week, an inch the week after that, and 5 inches the following week".

Yer man that emailed them is still a bollix though
You'll Never Walk Alone.

muppet

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on January 21, 2011, 11:19:59 PM
Quote from: muppet on January 21, 2011, 10:53:08 PM

Beyond sad.
MWWSI 2017

Bogball XV

Mark Roe was kicked out whilst leading the open a few years ago, 2003? I think, I don't remember exactly, but I think it was something wrong with his opponents card that was the problem.  In this instance his playing partner's couldn't have known that he had played the ball from the wrong place thus incurring a 2 stroke penalty etc.  I think people in general seem to be more upset about this that Harrington himself.  It probably wouldn't have mattered as Kaymer ran way with it.  3 nordies in the top 5 though, maybe we should have our own ryder cup team, definitely have to consider going it alone in the world cup from now on ;)
Kaymer and McDowell have to be the real world no.1 and 2 at the minute, not sure which order though.

Quote from: muppet on January 21, 2011, 11:25:30 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on January 21, 2011, 11:19:59 PM

Beyond sad.

I take it nobody else wants to join my competition to be the first to get a player dq then?

muppet

Quote from: Bogball XV on January 23, 2011, 01:05:00 PM

Beyond sad.

I take it nobody else wants to join my competition to be the first to get a player dq then?

Yes, yes I do.

Which sport?
MWWSI 2017

Bogball XV

Quote from: muppet on January 23, 2011, 01:08:47 PM

Beyond sad.

Yes, yes I do.

Which sport?

Start with golf, but I think the same principles should apply, if we note any breaking of the rules of a sport (we don't really have to know them, I mean rugby for example, does anyone really) that is not picked up by the referee, we should immediately notify that sport's governing body, first to get a player dq wins.  Beats the dead pool thread anyway.

muppet

Quote from: Bogball XV on January 23, 2011, 02:03:10 PM
Quote from: muppet on January 23, 2011, 01:08:47 PM

Beyond sad.

Yes, yes I do.

Which sport?

Start with golf, but I think the same principles should apply, if we note any breaking of the rules of a sport (we don't really have to know them, I mean rugby for example, does anyone really) that is not picked up by the referee, we should immediately notify that sport's governing body, first to get a player dq wins.  Beats the dead pool thread anyway.

Golf might be the best because they the authorities have now acted on a few complaints, they can hardly act on some and not others.
MWWSI 2017