The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebigfella

Quote from: Megaman on January 11, 2011, 10:40:22 AM
it was simply about the dosh, callaway werent willing to pay him as much as others at callaway, so he jumped ship.

i would say most think callaway / Titliest are better balls than srxion.  Cleveland wont let their players play with any other balls though.

I lbe a big fan of the Srixon balls TBH, much more than Callaway anyway. Definitely thinking of playing them all the time as they are much cheaper than Titelist and Taylormades.

Puckoon

I got a gift of a dozen taylor made black golf balls two summers ago. I swear to God - I couldnt take one out of the bag and play more than a hole without losing the damn things. It was really strange. If I played with any other ball I'd maybe not lose one for a week - but as soon as I took out a taylor made it was gone within a couple holes. Maybe even on the first drive.

thebigfella

From BBC - "Ireland's Padraig Harrington has been disqualified from the Abu Dhabi Championship after signing for a wrong score in his first-round 65.

Harrington's hand brushed the back of his ball on hole seven as he replaced it in front of his marker. "

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/golf/9369046.stm

You can judge for yourself here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9Bh-ZVAz48

Pretty sickening as he looked as if he may actually be in contention for a change.

muppet

Quote from: thebigfella on January 21, 2011, 09:00:57 AM
From BBC - "Ireland's Padraig Harrington has been disqualified from the Abu Dhabi Championship after signing for a wrong score in his first-round 65.

Harrington's hand brushed the back of his ball on hole seven as he replaced it in front of his marker. "

Pretty sickening as he looked as if he may actually be in contention for a change.

Contrasts nicely with the crap we watch in soccer in particular and the stuff that can appear in our own games now unfortunately.
MWWSI 2017

stephenite

I'm hearing somebody emailed in after seeing it on TV, can anyone confirm?

thebigfella

Yep that is also why he was disqualified, had already signed the card before it was brought to their attention. Different from the likes of Dustin Johnson where the referees pointed it out and the penalty to him before he signed the card. 

thebigfella

Quote from: muppet on January 21, 2011, 10:28:34 AM

Contrasts nicely with the crap we watch in soccer in particular and the stuff that can appear in our own games now unfortunately.

How?

Although I believe Harrington to be one of the most honest players, he didn't point it out. In fact he could have easily been trying to get away with it, seen it go on all the time on the golf course. You only have to look at Elliot Saltman ban this week to realise it goes on in the pro game too. Probably more than we expect on non televised pro and amateur events. FFS you only have to look at the c***s in you local golf club managing handicaps ::) to win the big prices or not adhering to certain rules in comps to realise it's the same in all levels of sports. There are always a few who will go that extra length to win.

Boycey

Quote from: thebigfella on January 21, 2011, 10:46:10 AM
Quote from: muppet on January 21, 2011, 10:28:34 AM

How?

Although I believe Harrington to be one of the most honest players, he didn't point it out. In fact he could have easily been trying to get away with it, seen it go on all the time on the golf course. You only have to look at Elliot Saltman ban this week to realise it goes on in the pro game too. Probably more than we expect on non televised pro and amateur events. FFS you only have to look at the c***s in you local golf club managing handicaps ::) to win the big prices or not adhering to certain rules in comps to realise it's the same in all levels of sports. There are always a few who will go that extra length to win.

You are being very harsh on Harrington, his explanation that he was aware it happened but thought it returned to its original position sounds fairly plausible to me. He said even if he had called the rules official thats what he would have told him.

thewobbler

I'm thinking that golf's authorities might have opened a can of worms here.

If Harrington's playing partners, or the officials following them around, didn't make the objection then it shouldn't have been considered.

The PGA tours are leaving themselves open to video referees having to record and analyse each and every shot played during a tournament.

It's only equitable that if Harrington is being throughly scrutinised by the eye in the sky, then the no-mark player ranked 324th in the world should also have to endure the same treatment.

On a side note, rules are the cornerstone of golf. But sometimes commonsense has to apply. If a player makes a mistake but gains no discernable advantage from the mistake, then it's not cheating. Obviously this opens up a subjective set of rules, but in the name of God, anyone who plays golf can tell the difference between cheating and not cheating.

muppet

My point was that the Golf world will act quickly on any clear evidence unlike soccer in particular and to a lesser extent Gaelic Football.

Look at Thierry Henry's goal.

Aside from that golf aims very high (TheWobbler has a point maybe too high) regarding the integrity of its rules. But soccer couldn't aim lower.
MWWSI 2017

Up The Middle

By fcuk thats harsh, he brushed the ball with his thumb. I know rules are rules but come on he didnt gain any advantage. I see he has decided to stay on and play Bahrain next week. Tough decision to make will i go home to freezing Ireland or stay in the 40 degree heat for another week. God love him.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Bogball XV

If he had known that the ball had moved, he could have replaced it with no penalty stroke as  the ball is allowed to move when replacing it to putt.

Harsh, but there've been quite a few incidences of this over the years.  I don't think this opens any can of worms either, maybe if it players acted the way gaa clubs and counties do it could, but until that day happens, players will abide by the rules.

AZOffaly

This is a pretty common occurence in the States, TV viewers emailing/phoning in to say such and such violated a rule. The organisers apparently look at each incident! A lot of times it's about improving their lie, moving impediments etc.

Ian Poulters tweets are good on this. One of his latest is 'If I don't make the cut, myself and Harrington can play tiddlywinks live on webcam. We can have people referee by email'.

The Real Laoislad

What would annoy me about this is not the fact Harry was DQ because after seeing the footage it's obvious the ball moved and the rules of golf being as they are he can't have any complaints,but what would annoy me is the little p***k that rang up and notified people of it,has that cnut nothing better to be doing with his time?
I can see the bollix now as smug as f**k boasting to all his mates how he got one of the worlds top golfers disqualified,people like this are sad f**ks IMHO.
You'll Never Walk Alone.

ziggysego

Very harsh and unfair, barely moved.

What kind of twat would feel the need to email in about this?
Testing Accessibility