The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doogie Browser

These girls go from strength to strength, great talent at such a young age.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/golf/8645179.stm

The Real Laoislad

Anyone a member or played in Hollystown GC in north Dublin?
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on April 28, 2010, 08:05:46 PM

Yeah played it a good few times. Not a fan to be honest.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on April 28, 2010, 08:31:14 PM

Really why?
I got a voucher for 4 tee times for Hollystown and was going to use them in a few weeks just wondered what it is like, also my stag is coming up and I was gonna organise some Golf for about 12 of us on the Saturday morning, was wondering how hard it was get tee times on a weekend
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on April 28, 2010, 08:34:24 PM
Quote from: Geoff Tipps on April 28, 2010, 08:31:14 PM

Really why?
I got a voucher for 4 tee times for Hollystown and was going to use them in a few weeks just wondered what it is like, also my stag is coming up and I was gonna organise some Golf for about 12 of us on the Saturday morning, was wondering how hard it was get tee times on a weekend

On the plus side I've never found it hard to get a tee time there and it's usually quite cheap. I don't know if it would be easy get 12. I guess the sooner you book it the better.
It's just not a very memorable course. There's no signature hole, the greens are poor. I don't know, it's just bland.

gerrykeegan

I am a member and whilst its not the K Club the greens are very good these days. There are three nines and the red and green are nine are not the most difficult the blue nine is a serious challange off the back sticks. Because its 27 holes unless there is a large society out on the saturday you should have no problems getting out.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

The Real Laoislad

Thanks gerry,I might give them a call regarding my stag and getting 2 or 3 groups of 4 out on the Saturday,I'm guessing they would probably start us off on different first tees
You'll Never Walk Alone.

gerrykeegan

Give them enough notice and they will/should accommodate you.

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: gerrykeegan on April 29, 2010, 08:23:38 AM
I am a member and whilst its not the K Club the greens are very good these days. There are three nines and the red and green are nine are not the most difficult the blue nine is a serious challange off the back sticks. Because its 27 holes unless there is a large society out on the saturday you should have no problems getting out.

I haven't played it this year so it could have improved a lot. Last played it in September. The red course is no better than a public course like Sillogue. I guess it provides value for money though.
For a few extra quid I'd much rather play Castleknock. Greens there are superb and some great par 3's over water.

gerrykeegan

thewobbler

QuoteAny of you's play Concra Wood outside Castleblayney yet?

It is a might track but it's bloody unfair! I was striking the ball very well off the tee that day (ah the memories), but with all the ridges and contours, especially on the front 9, I kept ending up with the ball under my feet. Fairways shouldn't punish you like that.

The views walking around it though are stunning - on a par with Lough Erne - and I've a feeling the locals will keep it a friendly course.

bingobus

Quote from: thewobbler on April 29, 2010, 03:58:18 PM
QuoteAny of you's play Concra Wood outside Castleblayney yet?

It is a might track but it's bloody unfair! I was striking the ball very well off the tee that day (ah the memories), but with all the ridges and contours, especially on the front 9, I kept ending up with the ball under my feet. Fairways shouldn't punish you like that.

The views walking around it though are stunning - on a par with Lough Erne - and I've a feeling the locals will keep it a friendly course.

I wouldn't have experienced that problem too much, local knowledge helps I suppose off the tee's, not that I'd play all that often. The greens are mighty and one of things I like is that no two holes are the same and they really used space well, you don't really see the next hole until you on the next tee box.

Views around it are class and they've just opened the new clubhouse and the view from it is quality with about 5 greens/holes on view. As for keeping it friendly, I wouldn't doubt that, particularly from the fella running the bar in the clubhouse  ;)

heganboy

watching wee Rory at quail hollow. 2 shot lead with 4 to play, he's just left himself 3 feet for eagle on the 15th. made it to take a 4 shot lead....
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

The Real Laoislad

Played in Slade Valley just outside Saggart last night....
Jaysis its at some height,but some great views,they reckon you can see right to the Mourne mountains on a clear day.
Some of the holes were some climb though,and the ones coming down hill were great because even a half decent drive you were guaranteed the ball who keep rolling nearly right to the green.
The 10th hole I think it is,is called Coronary Hill or something to that effect its almost 45 degrees,I have never been so fecked after a game of Golf but a really nice course nonetheless.
You'll Never Walk Alone.