The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gerrykeegan

One last thing Wobbler, make sure you have a pint in Tynan's no TVs, just people drinking quality pints of stout. And remember about the boys in blue on the way back I nearly shit myself. Talked to a local and he says its a regular occurrence.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

Declan

Well had the first game in a couple of months last night. Glorious evening. Hitting the ball reasonably well and stood on the last tee needing a par 4 to win the competition (not that I knew it at the time) and promptly mangled a 7 out of it. Stupid bleedin game

offtheground

Lads,
I'm struggling with long fairway shots. I've been hitting them with my 3 wood with a success rate of about 2 out of 5. The other three times, I'm either topping the ball or making a crap connection. I've had some sucess with slowing the back-swing right down, but someone mentioned the other night I should try getting a hybrid.
Could anyone explain to me the difference in a standard 3 wood, and a hybrid 3 wood? Do you still carry both and when would you use one instead of the other?

Many thanks.

The Real Laoislad

A hybrid is more hybrid iron than hybrid wood.
A hybrid 3 will have more loft than your 3 wood a 3 hybrid will be about 21* where as your 3 wood is probably 16* so in therefore it should be easier get the ball up in the air.
They are very easy to hit and like a iron you hit down on the ball rather than sweep it off the ground as you would with a fairway wood.
You'll Never Walk Alone.

offtheground

Thanks LL.
What would be the difference in distance you could expect from each? Would it be fair to say you'd be better of with the standard wood from the fairway, and should consider the hybrid from the longer grass?

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: offtheground on April 14, 2010, 08:53:46 AM
Thanks LL.
What would be the difference in distance you could expect from each? Would it be fair to say you'd be better of with the standard wood from the fairway, and should consider the hybrid from the longer grass?

I hit my 3 hybrid about 200yards but everyone is different you might be able hit it further than that.
I use it off the fairway and from the rough, more often than not it will be from the rough though as I spend way more time in that than the fairway :-[ 
I don't use a 3 wood anymore, I doubt with my limited ability I would hit a 3 wood any further than the 3 hybrid.
You'll Never Walk Alone.

AZOffaly

I used to struggle hitting the fairway woods as well, especially on tight lies and well manicured fairways. I read a lesson in Golf Digest about 5 years ago that helped enormously. Basically it was to lengthen the backswing in a much rounder swing. My tendency was to pick the club up very quick, like a mid-short iron and therefore a steep swing that led to a lot of bad contacts.

When I imagined I was brushing an item away from the back of the ball (about 6 inches behind the ball) with the back of the fairway wood, it made me lengthen, and swing much more like a pendulum.  Now I am much more consistent with the woods off the fairway, and have even gotten pretty confident hitting driver off the carpet if needs be.

Shrek

I got a 2 iron Hybrid last summer and love it, i mainly use it of the tee as a few of the holes i play are too short for the the driver.

Hybrds are much easir to hit than a 3 wood or the Iron equivalent.

offtheground

I've been hitting my 3 wood ~200yrds, although I'd willingly sacrifice a few yards for abit more accuracy and less 'topped' balls.

Could you recommend a decent hybrid, did a quick search there and saw Ping G15 for around £100 and Taylor made r7 for ~£60.
I'm a high handicapper (24), so wouldn't want to be spending too much, at the same time want to get something i'll get a few years out of...

The Real Laoislad

I have a Cobra Baffler TWS 3hybrid and a Nike Sumo Sq 5 Hybrid love them both especially the Nike.
You would get either of them in various lofts  cheap enough as they are both a couple of years old.
The Taylormade you mentioned sounds like a good deal though, I have never hit one though
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Shrek

if you can get one at the right price i would recommend an Adams Hybrid

They generally make the best Hybrids. IMO  - (dont have one myself though)

offtheground

Cheer lads, I'll speak to our Pro this evening and get his word on it..

on another note, I just got a new putter, Ping IN D67. Paid £70 for it in the pro shop. I'm well impressed so far, probably all in my head, but seem to be 3 putting alot less.

bingobus

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on April 12, 2010, 09:04:47 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on April 12, 2010, 07:25:06 PM
Thanks for the tips fellas. Will phone gowran tomorrow. Rathsallagh giving a good deal though. Anyone played it?

Played headfort new and lough erne this year. Two amazing courses. Erne shades it for views, headfort ever so slightly for holes, nearly every single one is a beauty has a water trap near it!
Fixed that for you there!  Seriously though, its a savage course, one of the best around IMO.  Have played it twice now and I swear to God it nearly broke me the first time!  Hope to give it another rattle ot two over the summer.  Yet to play Lough Erne, but i hear its a fantastic track also.

Any of you's play Concra Wood outside Castleblayney yet? Mighty track and some great holes.

Geoff Tipps

I have Ben Hogan Edge CFT #3 and #5. Brilliant clubs IMO and you should be able to get them pretty cheaply. I got mine from the states. After I played with them once I got rid of my fairway woods.

Here's a pretty good site for reviews of all things golf:
http://www.golfreview.com/

AZOffaly

Quote from: offtheground on April 14, 2010, 10:38:01 AM
Cheer lads, I'll speak to our Pro this evening and get his word on it..

on another note, I just got a new putter, Ping IN D67. Paid £70 for it in the pro shop. I'm well impressed so far, probably all in my head, but seem to be 3 putting alot less.

A good putter, with a nice balance and a consistent roll will help you put better, but most of it is in your head alright :) I have an Odyssey putter I got years ago, and I think I can't miss with it. I often do, but because I know it's a good putter, ,I blame myself. That removes doubts for the next putt.