The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: gerrykeegan on December 14, 2009, 07:03:51 PM
Quote from: Billys Boots on December 14, 2009, 05:01:20 PM
Quote from: gerrykeegan on December 14, 2009, 02:48:16 PM
Quote from: Billys Boots on December 14, 2009, 02:41:17 PM
Well around Donabate it ranges from around 1300 (Turvey, no joining fee) to €3000 (Beaverstown, including joining-fee).  They're not saying down at The Island, but I believe it was around €5000 in 2009 (with a €28,000 joining fee).  Nice course though.

The island is class. Billy I assume your a regular in Corballis, one of my favourite public courses.

The wife wouldn't let me join Beaverstown or Blackbush!

Yeah, I like Corballis - it's hard, but rewarding for accuracy.  Have you played the 'new' holes there yet Gerry?

Billy

Last time I played it the old holes over the road were still in existence. Where did they get the new ground from? It always was a real test of accuracy and the greens were superb. We stopped playing when one of the lads in my group hit another player in the eye with a golf ball. We never were enclined to go back. It was one of those "oh f**king Jesus Christ moments"

So many blind shots there that it is easily done.
MWWSI 2017

gerrykeegan

Blind being the key word. The lad lost his eye and the whole thing ended up in the high court. Settled on the steps.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

muppet

Quote from: gerrykeegan on December 14, 2009, 07:31:20 PM
Blind being the key word. The lad lost his eye and the whole thing ended up in the high court. Settled on the steps.

Jaysus, I actually only noticed the pun after I posted. 
MWWSI 2017

Puckoon

Quote from: gerrykeegan on December 14, 2009, 07:31:20 PM

Ive had two golf related accidents and thankfully I wasnt hurt in either of them.

Shattered my cousins cheekbone with a 4 iron when we were 9. Lucky he didnt lose his eye.

Two years ago here I hit a fella on the arm with a golf ball. Shanked the crap out of it and it blasted him on the upper fat part. He said it stung like f**k, but he was in good form about it. Thankfully.

venter

Quote from: thebigfella on December 14, 2009, 03:14:29 PM

Played Silouge quite a bit too as it's handy for me coming down the N1 and the others in Dublin to meet up at. Not bad TBH for a public course and have never been held up;

what is a public course? I can only think of one course in the mayo/galway region that is not open to the public , that being galway bay.. Are all the others private but open to the public or are they public?

muppet

Quote from: venter on December 14, 2009, 09:00:55 PM

Played Silouge quite a bit too as it's handy for me coming down the N1 and the others in Dublin to meet up at. Not bad TBH for a public course and have never been held up;

what is a public course? I can only think of one course in the mayo/galway region that is not open to the public , that being galway bay.. Are all the others private but open to the public or are they public?

I always understood a public course to be owned by a council.
MWWSI 2017

venter

Quote from: muppet on December 14, 2009, 09:05:43 PM

Not to many in the west so, although I saw in the western a few months ago that a community group opened a par 3 back doohoma direction. I wonder how that is going for them?

I'm playing westport this weekend. I heard its a difficult course. Anyone played it?

gerry

You may not know it, but I have been very busy over the
> last couple of years
> putting my thoughts and ideas together into a book. I am
> very proud of the
> results and, in order to market the publication, I am
> asking friends and family
> to assist.
>
> The book is on golf. I believe it gives the reader valuable
> playing tips and
> insider information that I have gained through my years of
> experience.
> The book is only £6.95 and can be ordered by simply
> replying to this email with the appropriate credit card
> info.
>
> Check one: ___ VISA ___ Master Card ___ Discover __
> American Express
>
> Card # __________________________ Exp. Date _______________
>
>
>
>
> Last chance to get the book at this price. .
> ___________________________________________________________________
>
>
>
> Highlights include;
>
> Chapter 1 - How to Properly Line Up Your Fourth Putt
>
> Chapter 2 - How to Hit a Maxfli from the Rough When You Hit
> a Titleist from the Tee
>
> Chapter 3 - How to Avoid the Water When You Lie 8 in a
> Bunker (also see Chapter 8)
>
> Chapter 4 - How to Get More Distance off the Shank
>
> Chapter 5 - When to Give the Ranger the Finger
>
> Chapter 6 - Using Your Shadow on the Greens to Maximize
> Earnings
>
> Chapter 7 - When to Implement Handicap Management
>
> Chapter 8 - Proper Excuses for Drinking Beer Before 9:00
> a.m.
>
> Chapter 10 - How to Find That Ball That Everyone Else Saw
> Go in the Water
>
> Chapter 13 - How to Relax When You Are Hitting Three off
> the Tee
>
> Chapter 14 - When to Suggest Major Swing Corrections to
> Your Opponent
>
> Chapter 16 - When to Re-grip Your Ball Retriever
>
>
>
> Also includes the latest GOLF terms
>
> A Sally Gunnell - not pretty but a good runner
>
> A Paris Hilton - an expensive hole
>
> A Dennis Wise - a nasty 5 footer
>
> A Diegio Maradonna - a very nasty 5 footer
>
> A Salman Rushdie - an impossible read
>
> A Rio Ferdinand - Lipped out
>
> A Rock Hudson - thought it was straight, but it wasn't
>
> A Cuban - needs one more revolution
>
> An Elton John - a big bender that lips the rim
>
> An Adolf Hitler - two shots in the bunker
>
> A Yasser Arafat - ugly and in the sand
>
> A Kate Winslett - a bit fat but otherwise perfect
>
> A Kate Moss - bit thin
>
> A Gerry Adams - playing a Provisional
>
> A Glen Miller - kept low and didn't make it over the water
>
>
> An Arthur Scargill - a great strike but a poor result
>
> A Rodney King - over-clubbed
>
> An O. J. Simpson - got away with it
>
> A Paula Radcliffe - not as ugly as a Sally Gunnell but
> still a good runner
>
> A Princess Grace - should have taken a driver
>
> A Princess Di - shouldn't have taken a driver
>
> A Robin Cook - just died on the hill
>
> A Douglas Bader - looked good in the air, but didn't have
> the legs
>
> An Arsene Wenger - everyone saw where it went but you
>
> A Ken Livingstone - quite far left
>
> A Jean-Marie LePen - a long way right
>
> A Ladyboy - looks like an easy hole but all is not what it
> seems
>
> An elephant's arse - high and sh*tty
>
> A condom - safe but didn't feel real good
>
> A circus tent - a BIG top
>
> An Anna Kournikova - looks great, but unlikely to get a
> result
>
> A Vinnie Jones - nasty kick when you're not expecting it
>
> A Ryanair - flies well but lands a long way from the target
>
>
> A sister-in-law - up there but I know that I shouldn't be
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

muppet

Quote from: venter on December 14, 2009, 09:13:15 PM
Quote from: muppet on December 14, 2009, 09:05:43 PM

Not to many in the west so, although I saw in the western a few months ago that a community group opened a par 3 back doohoma direction. I wonder how that is going for them?

I'm playing westport this weekend. I heard its a difficult course. Anyone played it?

Fantastic course. I hope you have nice weather because it is spectacular at times.
MWWSI 2017

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: venter on December 14, 2009, 09:00:55 PM

I think Gaway Bay is re-opening to the public next april Venter.  Westport is a great course.  The first few holes are handy enough but it gets tough after that.  The back 9 are nearly all with a back-drop of Clew Bay and the wind plays its part out there.  Hope you get decent weather as it wont disappoint. 

Billys Boots

Well around Donabate it ranges from around 1300 (Turvey, no joining fee) to €3000 (Beaverstown, including joining-fee).  They're not saying down at The Island, but I believe it was around €5000 in 2009 (with a €28,000 joining fee).  Nice course though.

The island is class. Billy I assume your a regular in Corballis, one of my favourite public courses.

Yeah, I like Corballis - it's hard, but rewarding for accuracy.  Have you played the 'new' holes there yet Gerry?

Billy

Last time I played it the old holes over the road were still in existence. Where did they get the new ground from? It always was a real test of accuracy and the greens were superb. We stopped playing when one of the lads in my group hit another player in the eye with a golf ball. We never were enclined to go back. It was one of those "oh f**king Jesus Christ moments"

Yeah Gerry, that would be a good reason not to go back.  Anyhow, they've scrapped those shite over-the-road holes and have built three new holes in the dunes at the other end of the course - it's now a much better course, as the back-nine's as good as the front-nine. 

And as Muppet so classily and tactfully put it, there are now even more blind-shots, and the narrowest fairways in Christendom.  Must go out again soon. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

muppet

Quote from: Billys Boots on December 15, 2009, 09:12:21 AM

Billy

Yeah Gerry, that would be a good reason not to go back.  Anyhow, they've scrapped those shite over-the-road holes and have built three new holes in the dunes at the other end of the course - it's now a much better course, as the back-nine's as good as the front-nine. 

And as Muppet so classily and tactfully put it, there are now even more blind-shots, and the narrowest fairways in Christendom.  Must go out again soon.

It wasn't deliberate Billy.
MWWSI 2017

ha ha derry

Billys Boots

Quote from: thebigfella on December 14, 2009, 12:15:05 PM
Anyone a member of a club in and around Dublin? Looking at memberships but not gonna pay outragous money as lots of clubs a crying out for members next year. Any suggestions?

Do ye have any more news on this bigfella?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

thebigfella

Quote from: Billys Boots on December 16, 2009, 12:27:05 PM
Quote from: thebigfella on December 14, 2009, 12:15:05 PM
Anyone a member of a club in and around Dublin? Looking at memberships but not gonna pay outragous money as lots of clubs a crying out for members next year. Any suggestions?

Do ye have any more news on this bigfella?

Not much, I still thinking of joining Hollystown. Haven't really come across anywhere else within reason i'd join.