The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corn02

Quote from: gerrykeegan on July 10, 2009, 03:37:41 PM
Lowry showing a great bit of maturity today 11 straight pars so far. He is two off the cut.

Indeed, if he keeps his cool it will be two cuts in a row. Fair play to him.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: gerrykeegan on July 10, 2009, 03:37:41 PM
Lowry showing a great bit of maturity today 11 straight pars so far. He is two off the cut.

Silly question here,but do you mean two ahead of the cut so he can afford to drop a shot or do you mean he needs to get another couple of birdies to make the cut?
You'll Never Walk Alone.

gerrykeegan

Not a siily question at all, i wasnt very clear. The cut looks like level and he is -2. He has two to spare.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

venter

Quote from: muppet on July 09, 2009, 08:00:30 PM

In fairness the better you know a course the easier it is to mark a ball. The pro would have a huge advantage over someone playing it for the first time.

I am a pretty useless golfer but can find my partners wayward shots usually, try to identify a landmark as close as possible to where it lands. Remember that landmark can and usually will move relative to it's surroundings as you get closer so keep an eye on it. Most beginners overestimate how far they have hit it and a slice takes a lot of distance off the shot no matter how well you think you hit it.

Definite improvement on the ball marking yesterday. Still struggling to spot the ball finishing after a wayward drive. A lot of it is to do with me looking away in disgust after hitting a bad shot. I have to stop doing that.

On a more general note, the lesson i got about six weeks ago has done wonders for my driving. I am now hitting long draws. My irons however, are atrocious.. I am hitting shots from about 120 yards as far as 40 yards left of the green. It would do your head in. Any tips on how to avoid hooking a short iron shot??

gerrykeegan

It could be loads of things, are you finishing the shot? A tip to finishing the shot is to pretend you are throwing a bucket out in front of you. Its easier to fix a hook than a slice if thats any consolation to you!

venter

Was still hooking the Irons desperately last night. The upside is that my chipping from 30 yards or so has improved no end.

Anyone know any good golf stores in belfast?

gerrykeegan

Tiger goes 7 under after 7 holes in the States. he started his round in 95th position struggling to make the cut, he is now in 3rd position!

corn02

Quote from: gerrykeegan on July 31, 2009, 02:55:25 PM
Tiger goes 7 under after 7 holes in the States. he started his round in 95th position struggling to make the cut, he is now in 3rd position!

Easy course I know, but that's superb.

gerrykeegan

Quote from: corn02 on July 31, 2009, 03:14:31 PM

He bogeys the 9th to shoot 30 for his first nine. he is human after all

corn02

Quote from: gerrykeegan on July 31, 2009, 03:24:43 PM
Quote from: corn02 on July 31, 2009, 03:14:31 PM

He bogeys the 9th to shoot 30 for his first nine. he is human after all

We put the scud on so.

DennistheMenace

Thought Shane Lowry was leading it after a quick glance last night  :D

gerrykeegan

John Daly startes his 2nd nine 10,4,4,7

How the f**k did he manage that?

Orior

My golf swing has taken a turn for the worse.

My driving is okay, chipping from 30 yards is okay, putting is okay. But my irons from 3-7 are shite.  I cant gat any distance, and seem to push them right as well.

Anyone any ideas?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

DennistheMenace

Driving range, only bring your low irons with you and try and go down the shaft a bit more. Don't try and kill the ball just concentrate on strking it sweetly.

Puckoon

Quote from: gerrykeegan on July 31, 2009, 04:47:38 PM
John Daly startes his 2nd nine 10,4,4,7

How the f**k did he manage that?

Didnt he end up 20 over for the round or something? I remember seeing him hit a 7 at a par 3 near the end on the sports centre.