Serious financial irregularities in Galway

Started by TheGreatest, February 18, 2019, 08:21:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebackbar1

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on December 18, 2019, 08:23:58 AM
How would we classify Kearney's success as a fundraiser for Galway GAA? Massive hole in the finances on this aspect for the year, blaming the early exit of the two Senior teams isn't going to entirely cut it really as an excuse given the approx €700k drop. Are we to believe that unless one of the teams make an AI final, good fundraising is going to be impossible to sustain year on year? Kearney stated that our financial systems are the "envy" of others, doubtful anyone is looking to copy Galway's fundraising system anyway.
I see from reports that Kearney made out that the relationship with Supermacs was "very, very good", I mean who is he fooling with that nonsense apart from the hurling delegates?

QuoteBrian Keville of Liam Mellows was also complimentary of the reforms brought about, but believes Galway GAA cannot simply forget their troubled past.

“Looking back at the 2017 accounts, inter-county gate receipts over the past two years have increased from €195k to €297k and club gate receipts have increased from €866k to €1.2m. With a difference of €483k in three years down to the new bosca system (tickets are purchased at a van outside the ground on match-day to eliminate cash changing hands at the turnstile), does it, unfortunately, shine a light on past practices? Until we deal with matters of the past, it is very hard to move forward with confidence.”
That's from the Examiner report, I think Mr Keville is spot on with his inference to past practices, the leap in revenue is huge, are we really to suppose that the club attendances in particular have increased to match that rise in two years?

Any mention from the top table about the systemic issues requiring action that were highlighted by KW in his resignation statement? Football issues so probably not a major concern for the Galway GAA top brass that edited out reference to it in his statement in the first place.
Surely its the treasurer that should have been driving the fundraising ? How come Kearney is getting all the blame, and Mike Burke is seen as the white knight ? I don't fathom this at all.

I'm not sure what Mr Keville was suggesting should be done ? i would imagine the only hard data they have is that the cash figures are up, if someone was pocketing the money in the past how would they prove it ? I very much doubt they would have evidence to get a conviction.

In regards to Kevin Walshs resignation statement both the County Secretary and County PRO are from football clubs questions should have been asked of them all right.

five points

Quote from: thebackbar1 on December 18, 2019, 09:53:40 AM

Surely its the treasurer that should have been driving the fundraising ? How come Kearney is getting all the blame, and Mike Burke is seen as the white knight ? I don't fathom this at all.

The buck stops with the Chairman.

Maroon Manc

Not getting into it on here why I know but they were both told there was significant cuts to theirs budgets. Two men who wanted to stay on both walked, its no coincidence.

@backbar It was the treasurer who brought the issues to delegates attention not the chairman, I'd say he never expected what was ahead of him when he pitched for the job. He's doing a very good job of sorting out this mess and would imagine all his time in the role so far has been spent on this matter rather than fundraising. I'd lay the blame at the fundraising soley at the chairmans door, the same man who told the delegates how demanding and difficult it was yet voted him back in. I'm yet to to see or hear what the chairman has brought to the role?

I know they went out early in both codes but for a county of Galway's size and the wealthy diaspora the miserable amount that was raised through fundraising was bizarre. I don't think its beyond the realms of fantasy to suggest it was a protest at whats gone on with Galway's finances. There's certainly more to it then not making progressing beyond where they did.

An Fhairche Abu

Kearney isn't getting all the blame, questions rightly have to be asked of the Treasurer on this aspect as the collapse in fundraising is so severe, his position wasn't up for contest at this particular convention however. Will be interesting to see what the county board are capable of doing with regards to fund raising in NY next May, Kerry have done massively successful fundraising abroad and they don't even have a championship match against NY to build around.
Galway's main sponsor was publicly questioning how their sponsorship money was used over the previous 4 years as recently as last October, yet Kearney was quoted as talking about the "very, very good" relationship, some turnaround there.

I'm not sure what Mr Keville was suggesting should be done ? i would imagine the only hard data they have is that the cash figures are up, if someone was pocketing the money in the past how would they prove it ? I very much doubt they would have evidence to get a conviction.

No harm to point out the incredible turnaround there and the fact that it's down the changes that were implemented which has stopped money going "missing" for whatever reason. I'd agree that there's no chance of convictions but we can't go back to a "nothing to see here" mentality. This situation only changed once Croke Park had to get seriously involved in sorting Galway out, Kearney has been in the top job since 2016.

Quote from: Maroon Manc on December 18, 2019, 12:38:59 PM
I'm yet to to see or hear what the chairman has brought to the role?

Same for us all.

johnnycool

Quote from: Maroon Manc on December 17, 2019, 01:53:49 PM
It shouldn't surprise me but it does

Only in the last week we've had the supporters club issue a warning about fundraising, then there was the mammoth decrease in fundraising in the accounts and then before the delegates last night Kearney told everyone how difficult and demanding the job was yet they still voted him back in whilst ignoring one of the best candidates that will be put forward in any county. Do the hurling clubs have short memories and forgotten why O'Donoghue left?

Good luck to Shane O'Neill as he's going to need it, suspect he won't find it as easy to fund raise Joyce will.

On a separate note the treasurer appears to be doing a very good job and Galway are in a far better place thanks to him. So the country board have generated nearly 400,000 euro extra in club gate receipts to 2 years ago; You'd have to wonder how much has gone missing under previous regimes.

Is it up to the county management team to fundraise in Galway?

That takes me back to the Babbs Keating days with Tipp in the 80's...........