Your earliest memories of the GAA

Started by Eamonnca1, November 13, 2014, 06:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Sitting at a match between Armagh and Fermanagh in Irvinestown.  Would have been early 80s, maybe late 70s.  I remember my brothers getting all excited because Fermanagh was getting bate. My dad, a Fermanagh man, was sitting behind us with his mates. One of them gave me a sweet every time Fermanagh scored but he didn't succeed in getting me to shout against Armagh!

seafoid

Watching the 1979 hurling final on TV with my mother  because I was too small to go to Croke Park with my dad. He promised he'd bring me the next time they were there and he did. 1980 semi vs Offaly and the final. PJ Molloy was playing and Galway won. There was a strange word on the scoreboard - Gaillimh.

5 Sams

1974 Ulster Final in Clones V Donegal. I think it was a draw and they beat us in the replay.
The Aristocrat Years

From the Bunker

Earliest Memory was standing on the grassy knoll on the Bacon Factory end of McHale Park. The strange thing is I cannot ever remember Mayo winning a Connacht final in Castlebar between 1982 to 1995? Surely there was one captured in this period?

Hoof Hearted

Canal end seeing Jack O's goal (at he far end) against Offaly 1981 AI Final to secure 4 in a row - lethal finish ! was a youthful 10 years old !
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Club Rossa

I would have very sketchy memories of Ardboe and Tyrone games from 81 but the most vivid early memory for me would be the 1983 Tyrone senior cship semi final between Ardboe and Moortown.Frank McGuigan was at full forward for Ardboe and was marked by his brother Stephen.Ardboe won after a replay,both games drew huge crowds to Coalisland.Tensions between the parish rivals were at an all time high after those 2 games which resulted in a mowing match in Forbes club the night of the replay.

Farrandeelin

Mayo beating Roscommon in 1995 in Castlebar. I remember a Mayo fan behind us giving out to Mayo players and I couldn't understand why. Needless to say I've learnt as I went along!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

5 Sams

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on November 13, 2014, 08:00:00 PM
Canal end seeing Jack O's goal (at he far end) against Offaly 1981 AI Final to secure 4 in a row - lethal finish ! was a youthful 10 years old !

I was on the Hill for that game. What a goal.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bmA7o3p8QoE

Beautiful football.
The Aristocrat Years

muppet

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 13, 2014, 07:55:28 PM
Earliest Memory was standing on the grassy knoll on the Bacon Factory end of McHale Park. The strange thing is I cannot ever remember Mayo winning a Connacht final in Castlebar between 1982 to 1995? Surely there was one captured in this period?

1992?

Sometime in the mid to late 70s. First match was losing to Roscommon in Castlebar and sitting beside a pleasant Ros man who had no ear. I stared at the hole in the side of his head for most of the game.

Before that my mother used to dress us (me the oldest aged <5) in the green & red and send us out to abuse Galway supporters who parked outside our house.
MWWSI 2017

armaghniac

Quote from: muppet on November 13, 2014, 09:14:26 PM

Before that my mother used to dress us (me the oldest aged <5) in the green & red and send us out to abuse Galway supporters who parked outside our house.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

muppet

Great costume!

F*ck, now I feel deprived.  :-[
MWWSI 2017

From the Bunker

Can you buy that online? Would look great in the young fella!

muppet

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 13, 2014, 09:32:20 PM
Can you buy that online? Would look great in the young fella!

Those Galway bastards would never park outside the house again if a load of kids came out looking like that!
MWWSI 2017

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Jumping from seat to seat as a feckless 3 year old at a National League final in 1984. Father carrying me out on field after and getting to meet Jacko and Mikey Sheehy. The sight of those sparkling green and gold jerseys hasn't lost it's appeal from that day to this.

In terms of actually remembering details vividly from a game...probably,Maurice Fitz scoring 10 pts in Cork in 1988 as an 18 year old. Knew that day he'd led us to the promised land..didn't think it would take 9 years though, with some horrible memories in between.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

The Raven

1968 Casement Park Ulster Final /semi final not sure which. Only 3 years old. Other early memories was Feis in Newcastle in early 70's, always a great day out